The American Football Thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 07 Jan 2008, 01:20

jeff wrote:Though not a fan, I was sorry to see the Redskin meltdown, they had come so far and against so much. :(
If they had come away with anything after they went up 14-13 and recovered that kick early in the fourth, they could have easily pulled it off. Shanking that field goal just killed their momentum. I knew at that point, they were going to lose, even though they still had the lead.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 07 Jan 2008, 02:21

Vlad976 wrote:If only injuries were a legitimate excuse.
Indeed.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 07 Jan 2008, 02:41

I knew the Skins would'nt have a chance against the 12th man. Now Farvre is about to experience some grass stains on the back of his shirt when Seattle goes to Green Bay. Hopefully he'll remember his name when the game is over.

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 12 Jan 2008, 19:02

Interesting games today. It'll be interesting to see what Seattle and Jacksonville can do against big-time favorites and the explosive offenses they have. Hopefully, they'll be as entertaining as last week's games.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 12 Jan 2008, 20:45

I think Jacksonville may keep it close, but not for long. If Farve can use some of his magic, then Seattle's losing streak in Green Bay will continue. The most competitive game will be tomorrow in Dallas.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 14 Jan 2008, 01:48

Well it sucks to be a Cowboy or Colt fan, fortunately I'm neither, poor Jessica.

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 14 Jan 2008, 01:52

Mmmmmmm no kidding.

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 17 Jan 2008, 05:42

Go Pats!

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 18 Jan 2008, 04:47

jeff wrote:Well it sucks to be a Cowboy or Colt fan, fortunately I'm neither, poor Jessica.
I hear that Jerry Jones is trying to get the league to go back to the old 12 game schedule.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 18 Jan 2008, 15:39

That will never happen. Too much money will be lost.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 18 Jan 2008, 16:48

I'm only a casual fan, but sixteen games already seems very short compared to a baseball or hockey season.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 18 Jan 2008, 18:36

Caradoc wrote:

I hear that Jerry Jones is trying to get the league to go back to the old 12 game schedule.

I heard just the opposite. The league wants to go to 17 games now.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 19 Jan 2008, 00:32

I suppose I must explain. I was making a joke. The Cowboys were great for the first 12 games, see, and then they tanked.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 19 Jan 2008, 08:00

Sorry I did'nt get it right away, Caradoc. I'm still in remorse since the Seahawks did'nt make it in. :sad:

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 03 Feb 2008, 05:59

So, anybody got a Super Bowl prediction? And does anyone have any sort of Super Bowl party planned?
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 03 Feb 2008, 06:39

Well, they're both East coast teams, but they're playing in Arizona. I'm going with the NFC. It's in an NFC stadium, and the Giants have won on the road during the playoffs. I smell an upset.
Having homemade tortilla chips and salsa. Homemade beer. Kilbasa Hot Dogs. Standard football food. ohh...and BBQ ribs... :D
Afterwards I'll be following spring training on the M's.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 03 Feb 2008, 14:18

I think the Patriots have this one nailed down, they have been TIVOing the Giant workouts all week. :D Actually I hope the Giants do it, but I just don't see it happening.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Seeing perfection

Unread postby gravyluvr » 03 Feb 2008, 15:14

I'm a Skins fan so of course I'm torn when it comes to the Giants. There's always a part of me that wants success for my division rivals, but not at the expense of my team. I was upset when my Skins couldn't complete the comeback against the Seahawks. I was happy to see the Giants win their first game. For Giants/Cowboys I was rooting for the underdog a little. But I had thrown my heart behind Favre getting another chance at the Super Bowl. I was really hoping for the Packers to make the big game.

Over the years I've changed my opinion on Boston/New England. At first as a big baseball fan and a devout Yankee-hater, I found myself rooting for the Sox but over the last few years I've come to see the Boston Red Sox as Yankees2 so I've started rooting against them. In football the Patriots were always page two in Boston but the team quietly became a dynasty. Normally I would easily be rooting against the favorite when I don't really have a rooting interest in the team.

This year is different. I was born in December 1970 and have no real recollection of the Dolphin's perfect season. But I've been a football fan ever since and I remember watching the Steelers in the 70s, the 49ers in the 80s, the Cowboys in the 90s and my beloved Skins throughout with 3 Super Bowl wins themselves. But I've never seen a perfect season. And if New England loses this game, who knows how long it will be before another team can do this.

I want to see the perfect season. I've seen a perfect game in baseball and even though it was against my team, I'm glad I was fortunate enough to see it. I may tire of my friends gloating who are Patriot fans over the next few years, but I would always be able to say I remember when it happened.

Go Patriots. And may the next great dynasty belong to my beloved Skins.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 04 Feb 2008, 01:46

Despite the improvement in Campbell, it could well depend on the new coach, and now that Eli is coming out of his shell and Romo playing well, the skins are in a very tough division.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Feb 2008, 02:02

Superbowl time. Yeeey. Nah. Couldn't care much less.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to “Campfire”