A Dawn of war (RPG Forum)

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Ceres
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ceres » 11 Oct 2007, 13:20

Gloom fills me as I close the door of my new room. The room is quite nice, but I don't feel any initiative to observe and find something interesting. I walk towards the bed and put off my new chainmail armor.

I rest at the bed involuntarily since my body must be longing for it. I try to pacify my mind so I could have at least little nap. But at the moment I close my eyes, recent events rush in simultaneously- snow, Moon, dagger, blood, spiders, drows, explosion, anger and death; accompanied with voices who keep saying - coward, stupid, backstabber, betrayer.

I hold my head tightly with both of my hands just to stop my thoughts. Tears flow out of my eyes. But I can only do a little to keep them from coming out.

The last thing I saw is the image of Onyx. And I feel sorry for myself that it’s too late. I never had a chance to say what I feel for him. And it is because of my stupid choice. That time I had the power to choose, I should have chose not to kill Moon, but what of me? I feel afraid, afraid to disobey the Mistress.

At this moment, all I want to do is to turn back the time. Ideas like that won’t do any good; it doesn’t make any sense at all. All I can do now is to be ready to accept the consequence of my fault and how to deal with this hell that I'm in now. I feel guilty of killing Moon, I feel guilty of what happened to Brock...and mostly, Onyx. All of that, is my fault. I blame myself. It's all my fault.

"I am a betrayer," that’s all I can say to myself which I repeat several times until I fall asleep.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 12 Oct 2007, 16:36

Telling us..? No point in hiding, stefan pretty much alerted them to the presence of others. I walk out in the open with my hands free but close to the sheath should they go hostile. Not that they could be much of a threat, from what they said they are alone and they don't seem particularly deadly. And it seems I have my back covered regardless.

'Hello travellers. Didn't think there would be anyone around here.'
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 14 Oct 2007, 01:37

An annoyed look parries the Ranger's grasp. "Sorry Fate. I think this sword is a bit too big for the likes of you" Jade as she continues sharpening the blade. "And you should be focusing more on the traitor and what you're goin to do when you catch her." The warrior says little after that, allowing metal scrapings to fill the silence.

The wagon begins to gradually slow down after two hours. "We're here" Bear announces as he hands the reigns to an unknown figure. "Grab your things and lets go. We don't want to be out here at night any longer than we have to."

A twilight blanket covers the city and moon light delicately bounces off the snow. Enormous, rock walls covered in ice guard Frosthold. About two dozen men armed with bows, spears, and crossbows and wearing heavy furs man the ramparts. They look very cold like everything else around the city.

In front of the walls, heavy footsteps echo. A massive golem marches back and forth, mindlessly patrolling the gates of the city. The construct is made of metal unknown to the heroes and its armor doesn't bear the mark of any particular maker.

"I assume that's the guardian?" Jade asks as she steps down from the wagon, supplies in one hand and claymore in the other. "Who made it?"

Bear looks up and down at the walking armor. "Aye, that it is. Oddly enough, we don't have the slightest clue where it came from or who made it."

"Don't you find that strange?" Jade interjects.

"We did at first, but then we saw how good the thing was at killing those stupid enough to attack Frosthold. Nothing can penetrate its armor and anything stupid enough to try, is usually ripped in half." he replies. "But enough of that, we need to report to the king. He'll definetely want to meet you three."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The abrupt greetings of the warrior and rogue startle Dave. "GEEZ! DON'T DO THAT!"

Jack remains unnaturally calm given the circumstances. "Can you keep it down a bit Dave? There are only six of them." Saphire looks shocked at the deduction and emerges from her hiding spot.

"How did you know there were six of us?" she asks Jack. He gives a faint smile and runs a hand through his hair.

"In an area like this, you learn to keep an eye out for... problems" he replies with suspicion in his voice. Turning to stefan, he continues. "And why would we disclose the vital information to the likes of you? You may have us outnumbered, but the advantage is most certainly not yours."

The air is tense. Jack seems ready to spring at the drop of a pin.

"Man you are tense Jack. Must you be so suspicious of everyone?" Dave says as he puts the dress away. "I apologize for my friend here. This is not the best area to encounter surprises. But as my friend suggested, it might be better to explain what you are doing here."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poundings on the door rescue the mageling from a nightmare filled slumber. The room is pitch black and being in the Underdark, natural lighting is a commodity better forgotten.

"Rise and shine princess!" shouts Muerrick from the other side of the door. You aren't sure what time it is but it really doesn't matter. Muerrick's pounding starts to accelerate. "GET UP!" he shouts impatiently. "Lumaria has a mission for you and I do not recommend you dally. When you are ready, which I suggest you be shortly, meet me at the temple."

The pounding stops and is replaced by the footsteps of the guard walking off.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 14 Oct 2007, 02:04

"And here I was thinking the same, you mentioned a book, of Anusia I presume? Or maybe something a little darker? It may be we are interested in an item like that as well, though perhaps for different reasons?"
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 14 Oct 2007, 03:47

I look at Jade awe-struck, but say nothing more.

I pet Shady as I look off into the lonely distance.
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 14 Oct 2007, 06:16

I decide to stay in my spot. I'm not ready to show our entire hand based on his claims. I do, however, look around for any of my companions that are in my line-of-sight, but not in plain view.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 14 Oct 2007, 12:14

Mitsu is in plain sight, which is unusual considering she has been trying to be a ninja. She is keeping an eye out for anything unusual or other beings that might pose a threat. One hand is holding her sword, the other the mask with the continual light pebbles and fog pellets. She is remaining quiet, listening.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Ceres
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ceres » 14 Oct 2007, 13:53

The poundings pierce deeply in my ears sternly hurting my head. “Oh damn! I fall asleep!” I say in dismay while rubbing my head trying to ease the pain. Thankfully, it goes away fast.

I grab my chainmail armor and hastily put it on. I rush out from my room then go down to the stairs and out from the building itself quickly ignoring the other drows who’s been giving me sharp looks as I pass them.

The only thing that bothers me is the mission. First of all, it’s from a drow; and lastly, it’s from Lumaria. “What kind of mission would it be?” I ask myself. These thoughts whirl in my mind as I make my way to the temple.

But at the bottom line, the last thing that comes to my mind is to hope. Hoping that the mission is something I could accomplish...voluntarily.

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 15 Oct 2007, 17:38

I step to the side of the wagon, and look around. The men are of little concern to me, but the guardian does take my mind off the loss of our friends, a little bit.

"That thing looks pretty big, Caratra..."

I go back, collect my things, even using what I can to carry Nuvlihr.((or whatever the name is. don't want to check. sounds right, though)) I hop off the wagon, and approach the others.

"Let's go see the non-dart king, then."

I let out a small grin, then it vanishes. I'm, at least, gaining a small amount of humor back.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 16 Oct 2007, 03:14

Shady immediately starts barking at the sight of the guardian, but doesn't near it. Clearly the autonomon's quaking steps have startled the poor creature.

"It takes some time to get used to. Now, to the king" says Bear impatiently as he walks through the city gates with Jade and Titan in tow. Beyond the gate lies a snowy city, bustling with activity, even at these late hours. Soldiers and citizens of like buzz around the city, doing anything they can to contribute to the war effort. Several construction crews pound and saw throughout the city, adding reinforcements to the walls and erecting massive ballistas.

Spirits appear to be surprisingly high for a city that's been attacked so many times, which seems to throw Jade off. "These people seem awfully chiper given your situation."

"That tends to happen when you have an invulnerable guardian crushing anything that gets in its way. Flayers can't do a lick of damage to it, undead are merely reduced to dust, the Shadow Thieves are smart enough to avoid the bloody thing." Bear says as he tries to weave through the crowed, which is difficult given his large frame. After ten minutes or so of small talk about the city, the heroes arrive at the King's castle.

Dozens of guards and mages man the frozen fortress and a large, frozen moat, filled with metal spikes, surrounds the building. The castle itself lacks the lavish decorations of similar structures, opting for more practical furnishings. Three ballistas stand at the end of the entrance hall, manned, and ready to fire. Had it not been for your presence being known, the meeting with the king would have been cut very short.

A stairwell later, Jade, Titan, Fate, and his dog, find themselves in the King's court. The room is anything but sterotypical. Many tables littered with documents and books stand on the foor. Dozens of people fly about the area, pouring over various papesr and arguing about strategy. A large man with a long white beard, eye-patch, and grey armor sits on a simple throne. He looks exhaustive but vigilent.

"Sire" Bear addresses in a somewhat polite tone "these three have come here to offer their services to you."

The king looks pleased to have a distraction from the chaos, steps down from his throne, and casually walks over to the trio.

"And who do we have here?" he asks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Our reasons are our own" Jack states flatly. He's grown even more tense and places his hands on two daggers resting at his sides. David puts his hand up to towards his companion, silently telling him to stand down.

"Now, now. No need to be so tense Jack. I doubt they'd be stupid enough to try anything in this area." David reassures his timid companion. Jack eases up a bit but his glare doesn't wane.

"As to the book, there aren't any books here" he continues.

Saphire looks unconvinced. "Right. Like we are supposed to believe such an obvious denial."

David looks at her for a second and sighs. "Fine. I'll level with you. There really aren't any books here. Believe me, we've searched this damn city several times and haven't found it. But with as high of a reward Taros put on that book, they keep sending us out."

"You idiot!" Jack blurts out. "Why are you telling them this?! We have no idea who they are!"

"Because, my impatient friend, they'll be dead if they try anything." David replies as he looks eyes with Saphire, who seems confused. "Oh, I should explain. See those marks over there?" he points "Those are demon markings, actually, they are more like eyes. Anything you do here, they can see. And seeing as how we have permission to be here and you don't, so you'd do well to be on your best behavior."

Saphire grits her teeth but realizes David's telling the truth. He continues "I don't care if you guys want to search the city or not. Just be careful. You're going to have hundreds of eyes upon you."

He pulls out a small satchel and Jack follows suit. "Now, if you'll excuse us, we have some reporting to do. But I'm a nice guy. I'll give you three hours to search this dump. Just hope you don't find that book. A 500,000 gold reward is a bit too much to overlook."

With that, the two throw down the satchels and disappear, leaving the heroes with three hours to search the city.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Where in the Hells have you been initiate?! I summound you ten minutes ago!" echoes Lumaria's cheery voice throughout the temple. Muerrick stands by her side, looking thoroughly annoyed by the priestess. A dozen soldiers stand around the room, waiting to begin. "Why am I surrounded by idiots?!" screeches Lumaria.

"You really need to do something about those imaginary friends of yours" jabs Muerrick. A frosty stare stabs into the warrior.

"As I was saying to this sack of organs" continues the priestess "you two are going to lead a raid on a village above ground. Mistress Dhalia believes that it will make a good place for an outpost on the surface. You will take a contingent of soldiers and wipe out all resistance."

The soldiers in the room begin to cheer at the news, looking eager to get out and slaughter some people.

"Just exactly how much resistance can we expect, oh wise priestess?" Muerrick asks.

She smiles evily. "None. They are mostly farmers. Kill every single man, woman, and child." She turns again to Ceres. "I trust you won't have a problem with this task? Don't worry, butchering innocent farmers is easier than stabbing your friends in the back. Now, get out of my sight and go raze that village!"

Muerrick mockingly bows as he gathers the soldiers and heads out of the temple. "Looks like you are in for a fun first day. Make sure you have all you need. We're heading out in fifteen minutes" he says to Ceres.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 16 Oct 2007, 03:29

"hmmmm, interesting, so we know the book is either really well hidden, or in some very obvious place that's being overlooked, or maybe not really here .... any thoughts guys?"

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 16 Oct 2007, 04:10

I emerge from my spot. "Book? What book? I thought we were working a search and rescue. Anyhow, I'm thinking we should look for the temple. It's probably the last place the original inhabitants holed up."
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 16 Oct 2007, 04:11

"If no one else has any good ideas, that'll be the place we go then."

Ceres
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ceres » 16 Oct 2007, 05:34

"I don't need anything, guard." I say plainly to Muerrick as I follow him.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 16 Oct 2007, 12:09

I nod silently and start for the temple. The logical thing for them to do would be to hole up and defend themselves or use a way out assuming there was one.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 16 Oct 2007, 15:22

I will try to cast an Augary (spelling?) to get some hint as to what to do. But I will keep up with the group.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 16 Oct 2007, 17:50

I look around, at all that's going on. Being small, they may not notice me, so I do my best to avoid them. Though, the chaos of the room is kind of fun.

I watch the king walk up to us, and ask who we are. I do not respond, at first, but wait until after someone else introduces us, three.

"...and this is Caratra,... and Nuvlihr."(will only introduce myself, if it's needed)

I point towards Caratra, and pat Nuvlihr.

"Who are you?"
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 18 Oct 2007, 00:18

I look at the king and clumsily try to show a gesture of respect. After a few uncomfortable seconds of struggle, I go for a simple bow.

"I am Fate, and this is my animal companion, Shady. I am a ranger and these are my travelling companions *I introduce the others to the king*. We have come to help in the war effort."

I then keep silence.
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 19 Oct 2007, 04:30

The King nods and looks at the group with an amused look. "So, you have come a long way." he commands chairs brought forth. They are very lavish and comfortable. Despite the chill outside, it is nice and warm inside the castle. "We have a custom here. While we talk, you shall experience one of our greatest achievement. Bring forth the drinks." Some steaming bubbling brews are brought out and handed to each person. The drink is minty and warm, and seems to spread through your whole body. It is delicious. There is a hint of dwarven ale, but nothing too potent. "Now, to what do I owe the honor of your visit?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mitsu casts her spells, and suddenly stops as if confused. Motioning everybody over she casts a modified silence spell that allows them to communicate but nobody else to hear. "My auguary suggests the direction of Frostmourn. Perhaps we have found all we can here. Still those eyes are on us. I have a plan, but it will be ... tricky." she explains the plan and then drops the spell.

Immediately after she drops the fog pellets. She casts Obscurement and Improved Illusion. The illusions are of the group looking around still. She then teleports the entire group back to the town they were before. For some odd reason she sort of stumbles and winces. "Odd never had that happen with that spell before. Maybe something to do with the demonic energy of that place."

Looks like everybody is going to go on a long cold trip. It could be a wild goosechase.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The drows reach the surface just as it is starting to get dark. Everything they do is in the shadows. The villiage is quiet and sleeping. A few guards are posted around in case of trouble. As the drow prepair to launch their assult they spread out to get these guards. There may be one small concern. A hedge wizard lives not to far away, but appears to be in town. If they can get a signal off, the enemy might be able to respond too quick. Although they could take this town fully prepaired, that would mean losses. Even one loss to these rabble would be an insult to the drow nation.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 Oct 2007, 04:54

"Wow, that was .... abrupt, care to explain Mitsu?"

Return to “Campfire”