A Dawn of war (RPG Forum)

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

A Dawn of war (RPG Forum)

Unread postby Mytical » 17 Sep 2006, 05:50

Verun. A planet found only in the fabric of time itself. Eons ago it was formed by OA. OA was the first, the being that created everything. When he created Verun, he first needed beings to manage it while he was occupied with some of his other projects. Ruling a multiverse was not easy. So he created a couple of beings. One was Telemat, mother of the gods of the dragons Paladus and Thamus. He created others, but with no worshipers, they became known as the Old Gods. They entered a deep sleep, hoping never to be disturbed again. Telemat, once she had he son Paladus and her daughter Thamus, started to populate the world with her 'lesser' children. Dragons thus were the first race on Verun. Some would say also the most powerful of the races. For a time ... all was good.

Thamus was not satisfied; however. Why should the mighty dragons do all the menial chores such as cleaning there caves and washing themselves. Surely there were lesser beings that could serve to do this. Tricking Paladus who was nobel and good she joined power with him to create servants for the dragons. First were the elves, limber and lithe enough to fit into places a dragon could not. Then came the dwarves, sturdy and small they could extend the size of the dragons caves. Finally the third race humans. After all dragons needed to eat...a lot. Then together they formed the beasts of the forest, both magical and mundane.

Paladus was nowhere as gullible as Thamus thought. As he helped her create these races he imbued them with certain abilities and free will. Knowing it would take time for these races to be able to break away from the dragons he gave most of them really long life spans. The exception was the humans. Since he feared they would become extinct before they found freedom, he instead gave them the ability to reproduce more rapidly then the other two races.

Thamus was not to be upstaged; however. Now that she had some idea of what was needed, she started creating her own races. Twisted, weaker versions of the creatures she and Paladus has forged. Soon the creatures were numerous. Plenty of servents and slaves for her prescious children. After all they were in HER image, and should rule Verun. Eventually Telemat called them back; however, and the 2 dragon gods were no longer allowed to directly interfear with mortal beings.

Time passed. Races started to create there own gods, and as Paladus predicted eventually broke free of the dragons. Interestingly enough, it was the good dragons that helped free them. Afterwards these dragons even willingly shared there knowledge. Which turned out to be very unfortunate for the world.

Dragons of the time were more 'in tune' with there gods. The result was they were much more potent then what dragons of the more modern age were. So as they started teaching the races, all the races, these races gained in power. Some say too much power. Soon towering floating fortresses, magical weapons of devestating power, and spells that could sunder mountains in two were as common as dirt on the ground. Thus began the first war. The war of Magic.

During the war of Magic everything changed drastically. Areas that were desert were tropical paradises, while areas that were oceans were forced into twisted landscapes of volcano and ash. Suns were formed, and destroyed. The world changed on an hourly basis depending on the whims of the mages. Finally OA felt the chaos, and decided enough was enough.

When the sky tore open and OA decended, at first the races were contemptious. After all, they had the powers rivalling the gods themselves, no one being could rival an entire planet of gods! After he commanded the madness to end, the races laughed..and launched an attack on him. Much to there dismay and suprise, he seemed unphased by there most potent magic. With a single wave of his hand, as if in dismissal, all magic was totally stripped from the land. All those magnificent floating castles crashed to the ground, millions were killed. Some species were even extinguished to the last.

"Time will come when magic again is within the land, let this lesson be learned well. Magic is not a toy for unrulely children. Else you face my wrath again, do not misuse this gift again. Remember it is I, and the gods, who have given this gift to you. Use it wisely."

With that the 2nd age started. An age of no magic. For eons after no magical beasts roamed the land, and everything was a struggle. After so long with magic, the beings of Verun struggled to adapt to having to do things for themselves. There were wars, some between races, some for survival, and some just because of the feeling of powerlessness. Soon; however, magic began to once again start to flow in Verun.

Thus started the 3rd age. The golden age. With the return of magic the petty squabling ceased. Once before they had lost this prescious gift, and they would not risk loosing it again. An age of comradery and peace enveloped the land. Most of the gods from the time of the war of magic lost too many followers, and a new crop of gods started to arrise. Again, this turned out to be a bad thing.

The War of the Gods was the next disaster to hit Verun. Though the races themselves were at peace, there Gods seemed to not get along. More then a few of these gods thought they should be the only god, and that all the other races should worship them alone. Soon the gods were at war, and sadly dragged the races in with them. This started the 2nd great war. OA did not have to interfear this time; however, for since magic was just once again starting to flow again, they dried it up quickly and lost all they had regained.

This started the time of Peace. The era just ending when our characters enter this realm. A being known only as the Highlord has ran something called the tournament ever since the end of the War of the Gods. Ever year the years graduates from all over the lands, from every race are brought to the Tournament. If they win they are given magnificent prizes. The loosers are sent packing back to there trainers, but otherwise unharmed (besides bruised egos). Magic has been once again brought back in the land, and so far has remained for the last one hundred years. The tournament our heroes enter is the 150th anniversary of the Tournament.

Now of course this is just a summary of the land's history, and a brief one at that. The events here are just some background as to how the world has reached where it is currently. Maybe, if you are fortunate, you will learn more of the history :).

Characters -
Sir William S Titan – Zarvyx Dhoshlin – Human Fighter -MIA Now a Druid :)
DeamianLucifer – DeamianLucifer – Elf Necromancer
ThunderTitan – Kero Swift – Human Monk
theLuckyDragon - Leprechaun - Gnome Illusionist - Gnoming arround somewhere..
vhilhu - - Grey Elf Chaos Priest -MIA
Banedon - - Human Sorcerer (dead, dragon food) -dead
Panda Tar - Erufar Netheleth – High Elf Monk - on hold....
gravyluvr - Milla's Love-slave – Tiefmar rogue -MIA (havn't heard from him for awhile)
Omega_Destroyer - Omega D. – Human Cleric
stefan.urlus - - Human Thief
Caradoc - - Human Fighter-MIA (also havn't heard from him for awhile)
Last edited by Mytical on 13 Jul 2007, 04:52, edited 2 times in total.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 Sep 2006, 01:54

look forward to participating in the creation of some history here Myst
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 18 Sep 2006, 05:19

A few days before this Tournament is to begin. All your teachers (or whatever :) ) call you into there office and there you find your equipment. Also, you are provided with 'parchments of payment' that allow you to use them to travel without carring large quantities of money. All the arrangements have been made to send you on your way to this Tournament. For the first part of the trip you travel alone, but as soon as you arrive near your destination this changes. Everybody is in town for this Tournament from the wealthiest family to the poorest farmer. It is a crowded trip from that point, you get jostled and pushed and proded by eager 'graduates' who also were sent by there various instructors to participate. Nothing in your life has prepaired you for this Arena, regardless of how big the city you grew up in was.

Walls 600' high, carved by master stonemakers and decorated with intricate elven runes. Silver statues tower 100' tall arround this arena, one for each race on Verun, except the lost races. Carved of Mithril most of the statues alone are probably worth more then entire towns. All nobels are dressed in there finest, and there is a carnival type atmosphere. All the 'contestants' are taken into the arena's staging area. There you are given the rules of the Tournament, even though you know them by heart. Each profession will first contest against others of that profession. Warriors versus warriors, magicians against magicians, and so on. Each profession will get a champion, then the champions will contest against each other. The games depend on chance, and can favor the strong or the clever.

A grizzled old dwarf is your 'handler' and he seperates everybody into 'teams' that will share the bunks in the arena. He tells you that in the morning there will be a special guest to make a speech to all of you before the games begin. You were instructed to rest for the night, so that you will be fresh in the morn. If you have any questions, Arghla the handler, will be right next door.

"Now I ain't ye mum, and I doesn't care ifn ya sneak out and get yer self inna some mischief. Be ye rememebering that there is a valuable prize for em that win this er turnny. Now get."

With that he goes into his room. (ooc : ok here you get to do whatever, ask any questions of the dwarf, ect. Will continue soon. This is for those who are new to this :) ).
Last edited by Mytical on 14 Oct 2006, 06:00, edited 3 times in total.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 Sep 2006, 05:41

well, the first thing i do is sneak out and have a look around, this place is huge, and new to me, so i wanna have my lines of escape planned, as best as possible (in the event of some mischief which, surprisingly for a thief, follow me around somewhat)

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 Sep 2006, 07:07

gee i hope some others adventurers turn up, I'm getting bored ;) just wandering aimlessly ;) around the place ;)

;) ;)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 Sep 2006, 07:21

Try going out then.Its much more fun :devious:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 Sep 2006, 07:33

maybe i shoulda added a few more winks then ....

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 18 Sep 2006, 08:34

Daemian, let them do their thing without trolling.

Mythical, you got any ground rules about ooc discussion?

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 18 Sep 2006, 08:42

Avoid OOC as much as possible, play your character. Thee's thou's ect. Too much ooc and your characters will be penalized, so if you have an ooc comment please PM me with it or take it to another forum. Even I, with a few exceptions for sake of expediency and to address issues like this will stay 'in character'. I have sent them a word about this, but thank you Psycho for bringing this up :). Oh and DL is part of our merry group :).

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 Sep 2006, 08:54

Well, I have stumbled back to the tourney grounds, a little weary with the nights entertainment, but satisfied

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Sep 2006, 10:26

My personal code forbids me from using Thee's and Thou's milady. I am but a simple Monk, that speaks in a simple tongue.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 18 Sep 2006, 15:43

I decide to go wandering about the halls before I go to bed. Look around the area.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 18 Sep 2006, 15:59

ok, i ask the dwarf how can i get myself some chaotic god, or do i already have one? (i appearantly suffer from amnesia) :)

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 18 Sep 2006, 20:52

ok ill worship Cthulhu then. Cthulhu for President!

so i ask the dwarf what spells and stats i have.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 Sep 2006, 01:04

My newly awakened thief arises, stretches, and realises that someone is OOC, but ignores that to await the coming events, whilst occasionally eyeing his newfound wealth .... and also occasionally toying with a strange piece of jewellery, a brooch perhaps

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Sep 2006, 01:28

Del,pls :D
Last edited by DaemianLucifer on 19 Sep 2006, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 Sep 2006, 01:53

EDIT: removed.
Last edited by asandir on 19 Sep 2006, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 19 Sep 2006, 04:27

After arriving a bit late to the tournament, I grab a bunk and unload my things. After unpacking, I seek out a quiet corner and pray for guidance in our upcoming trials.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 19 Sep 2006, 06:10

“I guess they ran out of Mithril before they built this dump,” Caradoc mutters as he surveys the bunkhouse where he is to stay for the tournament. Having apparently arrived before the rest of his ‘team’, he appropriates the bunk nearest the door and tosses his pack onto the one next to it in hopes of discouraging others from taking it. He knows that whoever decides to challenge him will probably be the best one to have next to him in case of trouble.

Opening his pack, he takes out his ‘working’ clothes and armor, checking each item to see that they are in the best condition. He notes a slight tear in the leather of his left greave, so he gets out his awl and drills a pair of holes on either side of the tear. He then wets a strip of rawhide and draws it through the holes, pulling it up tight and tying it off. “Good to go,” he thinks, knowing that footwork is the key to heavy fighting. Apart from his chain shirt, he prefers stiff leather armor, studded or ringed for support. Besides the greaves, this includes the gloves, armbands, shoulder pads, and cuirass. These are a mismatched lot, bought at the used armor shop, good pieces scavenged from good quality sets whose dilitant noble owners traded them in before they were worn.

His shield is small and fashioned of tough leather ringed in steel. Caradoc prefers a small shield since it can be manipulated quickly and without tiring him. The leather has enough ‘give’ to absorb off-center blows while the steel rings absorb the shock and blunt the attack. In the center of the shield is a 6-inch spike, secured into the gauntlet, which becomes a weapon in its own right when used in a bash maneuver. The outer rim of the shield is sharpened like a blade and can be used in a slashing attack. His only custom piece of armor is the helm, made of light steel with padding and a leather liner to dampen blows to the head. A nosepiece and facemask protect the face without impairing his hearing or vision.

“Geraldine” is a bustard sword, balanced to Caradoc’s specifications and honed for both slashing and thrusting. In town, when he expects little chance to deploy her, he keeps Geraldine wrapped in an oilskin and slung over his shoulder with the shield. For casual combat, he prefers to use the hammer in his belt or the stiletto in his right boot.

Once he’s satisfied with his armor, he sees to his exercises with sets of pushups, curls, and presses. Then he runs in place to build his stamina and dexterity. Then he sits back on his bunk to wait for his roommates to appear. While doing so, he studies the rules of combat.

If that blasted dwarf ever comes back, there are some things he’ll want to ask. Like how many will fight at once, how the arena is configured, and what equipment is allowed. He also hopes to get some more details on order of battle – will it be to disarm, to disable, or to the death? He assumes not the latter, or else these events would not have lasted 150 years, but will there be healing for the losers. Caradoc hates to maim his opponents needlessly.

Finally, he wants to know more about the reward for victory. There had better be a decent prize, he says to himself, and not just the announcement that the ‘victors’ have been chosen for some infernal suicide mission to some local dungeon to recover the crown of whatever from the big bad monster. At least these tournaments have decent accommodations, even if they are not made of Mithril.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Sep 2006, 15:07

Wow!That was quite a read.You sure do know your equipment.Im impressed :applause:

Return to “Campfire”