Random thoughts

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Mar 2008, 20:36

My ex complained I was spending too much time on my PC. I then agreed that I would spend only as much time as she was spending on hers, doing emails and working for the SPCA. The result was that I could spend more time on my PC. :creative:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 17 Mar 2008, 21:03

You stopwatched her? I'm sure that was popular... :creative:
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Mar 2008, 21:12

Well, not exactly. But she spent a lot of time on the couch with her laptop, arranging the re-housing of cats and such, and it's not like that was a relationship-helper either.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 17 Mar 2008, 21:48

Quite. And I bet those cats weren't one bit grateful either.
- Duke

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 17 Mar 2008, 23:14

Mel doesn't play a lot of games, though she does play on some forums a bit .... that's why I have a playstation! :)
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 18 Mar 2008, 00:10

Hubby always complains that I spend to much time on the computer. I complain that he hogs the entire living room and the remote control watching crap that bores me.

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 Mar 2008, 04:32

I do that, and play the playstation at the same time

I try to make it a habit that I don't complain too much about anything that Mel does, mostly cause she's a good cook and I know my place in the overall structure of things

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 18 Mar 2008, 12:35

Now, it is TOTALLY UNFAIR to monopolize TWO things at once. Around here, you get the TV or the Computer, but you can't have both.

(The only Play Station is back in our son's room... so that doesn't count.)

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Mar 2008, 17:37

Unless, you're using your TV to play computer games, since Playstation is out of bounds. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 Mar 2008, 21:12

I meant tv and playstation :D

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 19 Mar 2008, 02:03

Well... you do sort of need a Screen. It's not much fun to just sit and watch the disk go around in the box.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 19 Mar 2008, 22:49

Kalah wrote:Yeah, or games. Games take up a lot of time too... That's why we need to find girls who can play games with us, so we don't have to cheat on them with our computers :)
Working on that one. Put Heroes 3 on my girlfriends laptop, now just let het play the tutorial and i think she's gonne like it :devious:
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Mar 2008, 23:06

Played BG: Dark Alliance on PS2, and my ex loved that too. Playing games together is always a way out :)

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 21 Mar 2008, 12:17

So while mucking about with network settings yesterday, the connection stopped working. I naturally assumed it was my mucking about that did it, and started mucking about some more, ending in a reinstall to factory settings (this is on my laptop). The problem is further compunded by me having no direct access to the wireless router, as it's in the livingroom of the people where I rent an apartment (on the ground floor, they live on the two next floors). And they are away, coming home today. Not ideal to not be able to restart the router for testing purposes, but I saved the installation costs this way... man I regret not shelling out to have it installed directly into my apartment.

Anyways, not getting the net to work on my laptop, I dig out my old pc from a closet and put in a wireless adapter I have spare, and lo and behold it has the same problems. So I call the owners of the house, asking when today they are home, and unfortuntaley I get the wife of the couple, who is... less than intelligent. I was going to ask if they'd mind if I borrowed the keys to their door to go up and restart the router, as I knew where the neighbour who were watching their flowers etc had left them. But she prattled on and I never got to ask as she claimed not to hear me (though I heard her perfectly). Bugger this I think and go borrow the keys, restart the router, and then the net works again.

So either my mucking about on my laptop coincided with a hiccup in the router (whch has run stable for more than half a year now), or my tinkering on the laptop caused the hiccup in the router. Is that even possible?

And now I really think I ought to get my own private connection with a router I can reach without problem... and I wonder if I ought to tell them I borrowed their keys to fix it. Best not to, since I did it without asking, but if I'm to start getting my own connection it helps as an argument if I can say that the router was indeed the problem.

Rant over, out to shovel snow.
- Duke

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 21 Mar 2008, 12:47

wow Ethric, just wow :D

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Mar 2008, 13:31

My router does that all the time. i have to reset it at least once a week.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Mar 2008, 16:06

Ethric wrote:So while mucking about with network settings yesterday, the connection stopped working. I naturally assumed it was my mucking about that did it, and started mucking about some more...
:lolu:

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 21 Mar 2008, 16:37

Corribus wrote:My router does that all the time. i have to reset it at least once a week.
Sounds like a poor router if it's THAT often. Not that I know much about it, but sounds annoying.

And yeah Kalah, was that not the sensible course of action? :creative:
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Mar 2008, 17:53

Indeed. :)

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 22 Mar 2008, 10:10

some routers are known to shut down the ethernet connection on occasion ... so that could be it as well

anyway ..... FOOTY IS ON AGAIN!!!! :D

Return to “Campfire”