Random thoughts

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 27 Dec 2006, 03:29

Like Katheryn instead of Catherine? :tongue:

I know...I've seen some WEIRD names (pronounced one way and written in an insanely different one). :D
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Dec 2006, 03:33

exactly like that .... gives me the irrates a little
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 27 Dec 2006, 03:37

That's where it gets interesting...as what's written strange in your opinion isn't strange for someone else.

I think the weirdest girl name I've seen is Nekesha (or something like that...it was so weird I can't even remember it :D).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Dec 2006, 03:54

stefan.urlus wrote:Actually I don't haet Xeron, that might just work as a name .... :libra:
Yeah... if you want your kid to resent you his whole life...

Christian is a good HoMM name if you really feel the need. Ther's also Emilia, Erica (Fade), Jessika, Caitlin, Nathaniel (not alot of good male names). Just don't call him Bhob..
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Dec 2006, 04:06

I think we're safe on the Bhob front .... Xeron's better then Kilgor IMO .... but still not one I'd choose for a child of mine

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 27 Dec 2006, 10:31

Christian is also a good Celestial Heavens name ;)
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 27 Dec 2006, 13:17

What? No one wants to name the baby "Dogwoggle"? :D

So, I take it that we didn't have a Christmas baby. Are we now trying to hold off for a New Year's baby?

Name the child whatever YOU and your WIFE want to call the child. Heroes shouldn't actually be involved. You guys do know that, right?

Many of the older members of my family have rather strange names, so all of my generation and our children all have rather common names. My mother's siblings include Dorothy Lavisa (At least she 'goes' by Dorothy), Sarah Ozel (Yep, she got called Ozel!), and Waco Benjamin (He was always about as BIG as Waco, Texas). Mom's dad was named Alvis. On the other side, my grandmother's name was Omie Joe, her siblings included Henry Olan and Olan Henry ('Irish Twins' - born 10 months a part), Cloe (which is making a 'come back') and Murvel. Her sister-in-law was named Oveen.

Us? We're Linda, James (Jim) & Susan (me!). My sons are Chistopher (Chris) Adam and Jacob (Jake) Donald. Funny thing was, as a child growing up, I never knew another "Susan" and had only known one boy named Chris and NONE named Jake. Both of my sons have gone through the trouble of having another child of the same name in at least one of thier classes.

Now that I'm an adult, two of my friends are also named Susan. One goes by "Star" and no one knows her real name and the other can't shake being called Susie no matter how hard she tries. I am now SO glad that my mother never let anyone call me "Susie" or my brother "Jimmy".

As my youngest son (Jake) grew up, I noticed a strange trend that NO ONE calls their kids by shortened versions of their names anymore. People actually looked at me strangely when they found out I did not call my son Jacob. He went to classes with kids named Micheal, Robert, Vincent and Charles... and you better NOT call them Mike, Bob, Vinny or Charly.

Whatever! Names go in circles. I'm just keen on giving a child a traditional name so that people are not CONSTANTLY mispronouncing it or asking "How do you spell that?" I feel very sorry for kids who's names look like their parent's grabed a bunch of letters out of a Scrable bag and tried to make a word out of it.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 27 Dec 2006, 13:35

Both of my sons have gone through the trouble of having another child of the same name in at least one of thier classes.
We were three Vlad`s in my highschool class, and for two of us that was our only name. The third one's middle name was Olimpiu (yes, from Olympus), but we didn't use that name, so he was still Vlad.
I noticed a strange trend that NO ONE calls their kids by shortened versions of their names anymore.
I don't know what parent's call their children over here, but among ourselves we devise all sorts of nicknames or shortened forms. For example, there are two Alexandra`s in our gang: one of them is "Ale" (ah-leh) and the other one is "Alex". There are also two Mihaela`s: one is "Mihu" (mee-hoo) and the other one "Miha" (mee-hah).
I'm just keen on giving a child a traditional name
My mom was too :D She gave me and my brother very traditional Romanian names, the kind that have Slavic influences. This is probably just a coincidence, but all of my classmates that are younger than me also have tradtional, Slavic-influenced names. Guess my mom was a trend-setter in names :-D
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 27 Dec 2006, 13:47

Ah tradition... :) In Greece there is the trend on naming children after their grandparents but even then you don't get many older traditional Greek names.It would sound kinda strange nowadays ;)
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Dec 2006, 00:46

I hear ya Scarlett, and be sure that Heroes has no impact on my kids names, we have a Kade and a Josie, so it seems safe that the next will be something in line with those :D

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 28 Dec 2006, 02:00

Nice names, stefan ;) .

Is Kade a he or a she? 8| (sounds like a she to me, but how do you pronounce it? :) ).

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Dec 2006, 02:09

Is Kade a he or a she?
8|
(sounds like a she to me, but how do you pronounce it?
8| 8|

he's a he .... Kade, pronounced Kay-d

:)

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 28 Dec 2006, 02:16

8| Oh ok. :x

Sorry about that.
Hope your son NEVER sees what I said there. (that was totally embarrasing....where's a blush emoticon when you need one? :) )

"Daddy, daddy he called me a what?" :tongue:

IMO, the most confusing name of all time is Alexis. It is highly gender-neutral (especially in Spanish, as in English it leans a tad more for females).

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Dec 2006, 02:19

:D It's cool winterfate, he's all of almost 3 years old, so I think you're safe :D

:embarrased: this might be the smiley you're looking for winterfate ;) it's in the list of "View more Emoticons"

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 28 Dec 2006, 02:22

:embarrased:. There we go, found it! Thanks stefan :).

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Dec 2006, 03:00

No worries

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 28 Dec 2006, 03:31

I was checking out the Ranking Thread and for the regular ranks, it says 31/32. Does this mean there's another rank beyond Round Table Hero?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Dec 2006, 04:12

Not sure, but I know that there is one special rank still hidden, so that could be it, or alternatively there may be something for maybe 10000?

Not sure

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 28 Dec 2006, 06:50

10,000? I would hope not :D . The only two people I know that have that many posts here are DaemianLucifer and ThunderTitan (and their post counts reset).

Round Table Legend perhaps? That sounds like a nice title (but that would overshadow the Knights...at least somewhat).

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 28 Dec 2006, 08:03

It is probably Round Table Knight (the 32nd). It is a special title reserved for those the mods and admin feel add have added a lot to the community. Or as somebody mentioned (no naming of names here) there is perhaps another hidden one after Hero but a person has to find it themselves. From what I understand the 'Knights' do not have to have a set ammount of posts. They can have 6 posts on these forums and still have the title. Usually if this is the case; however, they were on the old forums and added a lot to that forum. So unless or until the Admin and such say that I am mistaken (which I could very well be) I think the 32nd title is RTK :).
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Return to “Campfire”