Random thoughts

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Feb 2008, 15:53

Well, we have also had the same problem, where what our teachers teach us over the years does not correspond directly with what we're being asked at the end of them. Still, cheating isn't fair to the others, as your result will unjustly be better than theirs.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 14 Feb 2008, 16:14

What, do you suppose only HE cheated? And furthermore, are you supposing teachers are unaware that students cheat and grade papers that have been cheated equally to the fair ones? Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 14 Feb 2008, 16:29

You may find it funny that it's the others who do the cheating, as I said I have done that only on occasion.

About that half finished question I got distracted with msn and did not get to finish it so I just erased it after posting :) Here's the deal: You have studied well, professor asks for something he had not told you was in, it's your last year. Would you risk losing a year because of that?

Our university is not some place that is run well, you get your books and the instructions on time and all have equal opportunities. Those who enter a political party go hand the professor a list with names of those they want to pass. The majority does not even study regardless if they are in that list or not and will go for cheating. The professors there were caught having appropriated some millions of euros and they had the one who exposed them threatened and beat by some good fellows.

Nobody has any respect for anything there yet I go as prepared as I best as I can just for myself if nobody else. But no I will not accept to fail for this reason.

Edit:
Seeing tLD's post I should mention an all-too-familiar story. Of the girl that failed with 2 when the fair grade was 8 and when she confronted the professor he gave her 10. Or the other guy that confronted another professor and he was 'oh well, next year'.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Feb 2008, 16:42

So basically it's a "dog eat dog" world, where you do whatever you can to get ahead. Still, you just spent half a page justifying cheating. But here's the kicker: if you get asked something that hasn't been tought, isn't that grounds for an official complaint?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 14 Feb 2008, 16:48

Almost. She had mentioned that part in class but it's not something you can remember without further study. While a bit under the belt you can't do much about it. And there is little to be done with official complaints really.
Last time there was a wrong problem to solve another professor would not admit it or do anything about it. It depends on the person.
- Metathron

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Feb 2008, 16:53

Up here, when there's an official complaint, you get a re-grading of your paper. There is also the possibility of applying political pressure by going over the head of the principals and school boards and complain directly to the department of education. The principle of duty is quite strong in our education system; if valid tests contain questions not covered by either written or verbal teaching (meaning it should either be covered in class or in a part of the textbooks the students are obliged to read), the test can be annulled. That has been known to happen with senior high schools (not sure about universities), and certain university papers have been re-graded.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 14 Feb 2008, 16:54

Somehow this thread isn't random enough.

@Elvin I guess it's too late to find a different university.

About the thief friend such things happen. Wasn't there some story about Randy Moss the football player who was accused by a longtime friend and sued for money?

I am glad to say such theft hasn't happened to me, though I did unexpectedly lose a friend, when I thought we were fine.

Random thought: emotions are nice.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Feb 2008, 16:56

I like to drive in the snow. Going out in a bit. Rally time.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 14 Feb 2008, 16:56

Sounds pretty neat :) And sorry for the rant :D
- Metathron

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Feb 2008, 17:00

Random thought: members should pay attention to asandir's title when he starts posting again... :rumor:

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 14 Feb 2008, 17:01

Is that a new title I smell? :)
- Metathron

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 14 Feb 2008, 17:09

Either that or fish.

And congrats on the 15k, asandir.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 14 Feb 2008, 20:46

PhoenixReborn wrote:Random thought: emotions are nice.
When?! Hate them...they betray me...just my opinion of course ;)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 14 Feb 2008, 21:31

Kalah wrote:Up here, when there's an official complaint, you get a re-grading of your paper. There is also the possibility of applying political pressure by going over the head of the principals and school boards and complain directly to the department of education. The principle of duty is quite strong in our education system; if valid tests contain questions not covered by either written or verbal teaching (meaning it should either be covered in class or in a part of the textbooks the students are obliged to read), the test can be annulled. That has been known to happen with senior high schools (not sure about universities), and certain university papers have been re-graded.
Try complaining at the faculty of law in Tromsø... that would just ensure the next exam was on the topic/issue complained about.
Milla aka. the Slayer wrote: When?! Hate them...they betray me...just my opinion of course ;)
Join the undead. No emtions, and all the cookies you can eat.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 14 Feb 2008, 21:40

I suppose I could have ethric, but chose not to :)
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 14 Feb 2008, 21:43

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:
Medically speaking emotions are nothing but secretions of endocrine glands. I always wondered, what would ever happen if someone would develop a drug or artificial stimuli, for feeling love, or the emotions during sex, frienship, or whatever emotion...

Would we still need each other?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 14 Feb 2008, 21:47

asandir wrote:I suppose I could have ethric, but chose not to :)
Err, no, you not having me is not because YOU chose not to.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 14 Feb 2008, 22:29

Yeah, stevie, Ethric's way out of your league.

Just take one look at that curvaceous (as far as skeletons go) figure and tell me you honestly wouldn't want to strip it down to...its marrow.

;|
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 14 Feb 2008, 23:08

okrane wrote:
Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:
Medically speaking emotions are nothing but secretions of endocrine glands. I always wondered, what would ever happen if someone would develop a drug or artificial stimuli, for feeling love, or the emotions during sex, frienship, or whatever emotion...

Would we still need each other?
Probably not. Modern people have no time at all so it would be a time saver not to have to actually spend time with people. But I wonder whether it would be like ordinary drugs, where you have to have more and more to keep up the feeling? ;|
But people would evolve into being socially illeterate and that wouldn't be good for society nor for the business life ;)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 14 Feb 2008, 23:36

So, is everyone with over 15K posts going to be "Stefaniouss"?

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

Return to “Campfire”