Random thoughts

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 06 Feb 2008, 01:59

Mmmkaaaay. You're like, all smart and stuff. Image
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 06 Feb 2008, 02:05

I'm one of those guys who is given a paper to finish in two weeks, spends twelve days playing computer games and generally larking about, and works his butt off the last two days of the time allotted. Right now I have (in practice) had a year to work on the thesis, but only done about three months' worth of actual work. Well, it's coming along now, I think. I'll hand in about 10 pages to my advisor tomorrow. I mean today. Or... what time is it...? :tired:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 06 Feb 2008, 04:03

Is happiness manufactured in a bottle?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 06 Feb 2008, 04:11

Yes, it is. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 06 Feb 2008, 11:11

Kalah wrote:I'm one of those guys who is given a paper to finish in two weeks, spends twelve days playing computer games and generally larking about, and works his butt off the last two days of the time allotted. Right now I have (in practice) had a year to work on the thesis, but only done about three months' worth of actual work. Well, it's coming along now, I think. I'll hand in about 10 pages to my advisor tomorrow. I mean today. Or... what time is it...? :tired:
Sure sign of the genius, right? It reminds me of this story of the famous mathematician CF Gauss. You know the story, right? To keep the pupils busy in elementary school, Gauss' teacher tasked them with building the sum of all integers from 1 to 100. The 9 year old Gauss allegedly solved the problem in a couple of seconds by pairing the first and last 50 times to get 50 times 101 or 5050.
If he had been a REAL genius, he'd first have made a guess about what time it would take the others to reach the result, wasted most of the time with daydreaming and come up with the solution a minute or so before the others! You know, like Bubka, who earned a fortune by putting another centimeter onto his own world records some thirty times, instead of trying immediately and fail as many times. So a genius had made bets or something, like being able to add any number of folliwng integers in record time, never telling anyone how he did until he was rich. :)
That brings us back - imagine what would happen if you had only 2 days for the work becausr it would be considered sufficient.
ZZZzzzz....

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 06 Feb 2008, 11:28

I had heard of little Gauss though at the time I did not know him :) I tend to let things for later but I lack the genious part :D Depends on how much you like what you have to do, I'll usually find the things that need to be addressed and go do something else :D
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 06 Feb 2008, 12:08

What I meant to say is, that leaving things for later already IS the genious part - provided you manage the task. Because that means you do it in less time than was allocated AND you knew beforehand you could do it so, which in turn means your "inner clock" is working fine. I mean, Gauss' colleagues couldn't come up with a "better" result by taking more time (which MIGHT be a small problem in other areas of work).
So in reality - since Gauss WAS a genious - the story goes this way:
After being tasked with summing things up, Gauss simply wasn't interested in it; he know somehow, his brain would come up with something ingenious to solve the problem much faster than in what remained from the class, so he began formulating a love letter to his female colleague Maria, sitting a couple of places to the right behind him. When he had finished, the murmur told him that pupils around him had reached the high 80s to sum things up, so he figured now might be the time to start. And due to his genious he still finished before the others.
ZZZzzzz....

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 06 Feb 2008, 12:28

As long as you do it because you are confident you'll work it out easily yes but there are always cases of overestimating or irresponsibility where they eventually fail in the task.
If the inner clock works fine then you definitely have something to show :)
- Metathron

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 06 Feb 2008, 12:43

PhoenixReborn wrote:Is happiness manufactured in a bottle?
Only if it's equipped with Genie! :-D

Nah I always prefer fast approach, only with computers it does not work. Usually for first time you just don't know what all the pc will put in your way. (missing software, mysterious clipboard errors, need to defrag, got virus, missing files, etc... no need to mention that computers are so much slower than human mind...)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Feb 2008, 13:36

PhoenixReborn wrote:Is happiness manufactured in a bottle?
No, they just bottle it so it matures...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 06 Feb 2008, 13:47

Jolly Joker wrote:What I meant to say is, that leaving things for later already IS the genious part - provided you manage the task. Because that means you do it in less time than was allocated AND you knew beforehand you could do it so, which in turn means your "inner clock" is working fine. I mean, Gauss' colleagues couldn't come up with a "better" result by taking more time (which MIGHT be a small problem in other areas of work).
I think, it takes more to be a genius, than just solving things in the last minute. Most people simply KNOW that there's always much more time given than needed, and it's not so hard to estimate the time required to do the task. After a while, you get into this routine. Many students do it this way, and only a few fail. I'm a master at solving things in the last minute, but still, I'm nowhere near a genius.
Gauss was a genius because he almost instantly, found a solution no one else thought about.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 06 Feb 2008, 13:56

Just teasing Kalah. That's why I slipped in the alternative Gauss' history - to make it obvious it's not meant serious.
I don't really feel up to a discussion what makes a real genius and what not.
Even though that might be worth a thread? What makes a genius? What IS genius?
ZZZzzzz....

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Feb 2008, 14:11

He should have found the solution right away and then muck about... that way if someone said he found the answer before his estimate he could just say he finished too... and that's why none of you are smart...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 06 Feb 2008, 21:28

Jolly Joker wrote:What makes a genius? What IS genius?
Dude, you've been here for a while now, witnessing my activities first-hand. You should know the definition of a genious by now. ;)

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 06 Feb 2008, 21:34

A genius wouldn't spend his time on such a forum...
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 06 Feb 2008, 21:59

LOOOL! Playing LotA book 2 and I just saw a gaint mutated whale reference :D
- Metathron

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 06 Feb 2008, 22:12

He/She/It has become something of a pop culture icon in the HoMM world! :-D
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 07 Feb 2008, 06:07

All hail the MGW! :hail:
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 07 Feb 2008, 10:14

Any chance someone knows how to export custom emoticons from msn?
- Metathron

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 07 Feb 2008, 10:32

"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Campfire”