Random thoughts

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 06 Sep 2006, 03:32

Hmmm...
musical poetry, you say....

:devious:
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 06 Sep 2006, 03:38

No you did not.Congrats on that one too!You sure are doing your part in the race against the chinese
one can but try .... :-D I think that race is lost however ....

cheers
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Mithras
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mithras » 06 Sep 2006, 04:18

stefan.urlus wrote: one can but try .... :-D I think that race is lost however ....
cheers
Never give up, your not alone !

(married with 3 children, all cute girls !)
It's only Rock 'n Roll (but I like it)
Proud bearer of the caladont-nerd plaque

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 06 Sep 2006, 04:33

Corribus wrote:Hmmm...
musical poetry, you say....

:devious:
Actually a song that doesn't have musical notes as I am not versed in such matters :).
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Sep 2006, 05:55

Mytical302 wrote:Mystical to a horde of orcs in D&D "Sometimes it is the stronger person who chooses not to fight..." *the sound of dual scimitars being drawn* "I can not help it if I am weak."
Dualing scimitars,eh?A dangerous combo.But nothing compared to ze magik! :devious:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 06 Sep 2006, 07:00

(married with 3 children, all cute girls !)
not that you're prejudiced at all :D

as for me, one boy, one girl and an unknown at this stage .... :D

i prefer dualling fists of rage on my crazy monk!!!

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 06 Sep 2006, 07:13

In D&D the easiest/strongest started out like :
Fighter - High hp, high ac, and pretty much stomp your butt into the ground.
Paladin- though 'stronger' the fighter, there alignment cause various problems.
Ranger - Still decent hp/armor, with some nice abilities
Priest - heal!!!! and can have decent hp/armor
Thief - ok hp, armor eh...nice abilities
Mage - Low hp, low ac, and spells are bleh (at low level)
Ninja - REALLY low hp, even lower ac, and abilities not so great
these are the only ones I played so dont ask me about the others though I think monks were right along with Ninja

Now mid levels it changed arround a bit.
Paladin (specials outweighed the penalties).
Fighter - HP and AC still rule at mid level.
Priest - they are starting to get some major power
Ranger/Thief the thiefs specials making some good headway
Mage/Ninja - both really starting to grow now tho

Then at end game it really switched up.
Mage - There spells can do some MAJOR havoc and magical items are making up for lack of ac by now.
Ninja/Paladin/Ranger - Specials more then make up for any lost ac/hp
Priest - Starting to fall a little back but staying steady.
Fighter - lack of special abilities just makes them pretty much obsolete. In a toe to toe fight they rock, but at this level toe to toe just don't happen as much. And not even best fighter as paladins ability to heal themselves make Fighters seem weak (wont even get into Holy Avenger which puts them on equal footing with mage since it can dispell some of there magic :)).

In fantasy magic is king. Of course my Ranger got a skill called battlemagic (dont ask me, ask the DM) that allowed quick casting of some of the 'druid' spells they got. Now I am told druids and monks rival Mages and Paladins, but as I never played them could not honestly say.

But sometimes it is not the spell the magic user has, but how (s)he uses them :impish grin:. Like my burying a beholder (which can negate just about any spell you throw at it) with a force lance to the roof over it's head (when I played a mage). Sadly that game ended short after think I miffed the DM by 'thinking outside the box' (What box? Where? I don't see no lousy box! :giggles:)
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 06 Sep 2006, 07:50

Challenge for you all :). See if you can see the answer to this delima.

You are playing a ranger (for some reason or other), and with you are a fighter, and a priest. You enter a room and are assulted by 3 creatures that resemeble beholders with no small eyestalks. You quickly each take one down (taking out all three). Suddenly out of nowhere, 4 more of these creatures just 'appear', and you fight again. You take them down also, as you are still fresh. The fighter finishes first, and you help him soon after with the 4th fresh one. The priest finishes their's about the time you and the fighter finish the fresh one. Just as the priest heals your wounds...6 more appear!! That is when you notice there are only 2 bodies on the ground...see if you can figure out what is going on.

Btw : took me 6 'turns' of this to figure it out, so if you need more 'turns' to pass and see what happens just let me know. Glad these things were wimps! (hint: they are not illusions, or 'shadow' magic creations) The fighter was weilding a 2hd-B sword and the ranger of course dual weilded Scimitars. The priest had a mace.
Last edited by Mytical on 06 Sep 2006, 08:34, edited 3 times in total.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 06 Sep 2006, 07:50

pretty solid analysis mytical .... the best thing about the monk (bearing in mind that i never played AD&D, just the vanilla flavour :) - so this knowledge is based on a GAME .... BG to be precise) is that the specials really become something else

they are weak at the start, but in the higher levels, their ac goes right down, their fists are 1d20 each(+4 or +5, can't remember which), speed is incredible, saving throws are awesome (and there might even be some magic resistance in there too), so they are difficult to deal with, my high level monk was a real destroyer!!!

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 06 Sep 2006, 10:07

Yeah and the one thing I do know about monks is they have a 'quivering palm' strike. Chance to kill you (if you don't roll save) and even if save is successful it does insane damage (good thing only 1x a day). Also ignored armor for AC calculation (which just made Fighters/Pallies days). Anyhow about my little brain teaser above..any ideas yet? :)

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 06 Sep 2006, 13:08

my guess is that they can only be killed by blunt instruments, 2 actually killed by the priest, and two appear for each one kinda killed by non-blunt instruments

am i right??

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Sep 2006, 13:19

See, now you guys are making me even more sorry i don't know anyone who's into D&D...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 06 Sep 2006, 14:12

stefan.urlus wrote:my guess is that they can only be killed by blunt instruments, 2 actually killed by the priest, and two appear for each one kinda killed by non-blunt instruments

am i right??
You are very good, took me much longer to figure that out. In fact figured it out about a whole turn before my party died :(

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Sep 2006, 15:20

Mytical302 wrote: Paladin- though 'stronger' the fighter, there alignment cause various problems.
Not really.I managed to play a LG necromancer,so a paldin wouldve been a breeze.And you never played a psionic?Now thats an awesome class!Too bad so few people know how to run a game with a psi :( so mostly they are only allowed when I am the GM :( :(
Mytical302 wrote: But sometimes it is not the spell the magic user has, but how (s)he uses them :impish grin:. Like my burying a beholder (which can negate just about any spell you throw at it) with a force lance to the roof over it's head (when I played a mage). Sadly that game ended short after think I miffed the DM by 'thinking outside the box' (What box? Where? I don't see no lousy box! :giggles:)
The best use of limmited wish I saw was in my early days when a friend used it to tie a dragons jaw shut :devil:

Ph,and though monks are excelent,nothing beats a mage in late stages because of insane DC of his spells,which are awesome.

And that one about jelly beholders is a nice one :D If you fought jellies earlier,you wouldve easy guessed this one.

Oh,and TT,dont be sad,D&D is not the only seeting.Imo,it is the worst one.Too many dices and to many dumb rules.Though it is nice for a computer game,its bad for PnP.Shadowrun,on the other hand,is much better and much more flexible.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 07 Sep 2006, 00:18

You are wrong TT :devil: you know us (well as much as anybody can over the internet hehe). I probably going to be posting a 'uplifting' poem here soon just to warn ya.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 07 Sep 2006, 01:44

You are very good, took me much longer to figure that out. In fact figured it out about a whole turn before my party died
cheers, but it's easier to think clearly when not in the heat of battle ....

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Poem : Superheroes

Unread postby Mytical » 07 Sep 2006, 03:19

As adults we are told not to play
to sleep at night and work all day
that our dreams are just memories played in our head
there is no Santa, or Boogeyman under our bed
in our little niche is where we should stay

were told we'll never fly without mechanical aid
our paths are all chose, our destiney's already made
no spandex tights for us, we'll never be more
then a faceless worker at some nameless store
in the background is where we should fade

Desist! Enough! We are who we choose to be
let your imagination sour, strive to be free
feel the wind in your face as you fly on high
shout for joy as you touch the sky
the world is yours to explore and see

When you reach your end, it is only the start
aid the sick, the helpless, the pure of heart
eac of us can be heroes in our own unique way
if we strive to be super each and every day
Never settle and think "I've done my part."

Ok, ok I promise no more sappy poems. Just needed a pick me up :)

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 07 Sep 2006, 04:01

good poem Mytical .... and did it pick you up?? :)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Poem : Superheroes

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Sep 2006, 04:58

Mytical302 wrote: there is no Santa,
What?! :| Theres not?!!!! :( :(
Mytical302 wrote: Ok, ok I promise no more sappy poems. Just needed a pick me up :)
Theyre not spam poems.Maybe you should rename this one "The poetry thread",and start singing.It was a nice read.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Poem : Superheroes

Unread postby Corribus » 07 Sep 2006, 05:14

DaemianLucifer wrote:Theyre not spam poems.Maybe you should rename this one "The poetry thread".
I think that that is a very bad idea. You see, I have this little problem....
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Return to “Campfire”