What do you do for a living?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules

How old are you?

Below 14 years of age
No votes
Over 14 years of age
100%

Total votes: 49

berntie
Scout
Scout

What do you do for a living?

Unread postby berntie » 19 Aug 2006, 22:05

Sooo .... I'm curious: What do you do for a living?

I mean, we all probably would like to play heroes all day, but that doesn't earn you the necessary money for 3 meals a day. And I can hardly imagine all people on CH being 16 year old students ...

I know about some people (Corribus is a professor for chemistry or something the like, DL goes to school) but what about you others? I'm wondering, for example, what job would allow AS to maintain a website like CH in his free time? (I guess you do it in your free time, do you, AS?)

As for the poll, I'm assuming kids under 14 are protected from being sent to work. (Yeah, I know that reality looks different in some countries.)

As for me, I'm studying computer science and hoping to get the thing finished this fall. (Currently, my plan is to go for a PhD when I'm done.) I do work for 12 hours a week beneath university, but that's cleary not enough to support myself. So, I also get some support from my parents (and from my grandparents, too).

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 19 Aug 2006, 23:24

Heh, I'm a 16 year old student. I work as an intern for a software company though. It's part-time and keeps me out of trouble and is pretty interesting. I certainly hope to go to college in the future, but after that, I have no idea...

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 20 Aug 2006, 00:30

Nearly 22 year old student. Studying graphic design.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 20 Aug 2006, 00:34

I'm struggling to finish my MSc in Business Economics and Auditing while working full time as an auditor.

I've been working full time throughout my education and am now up to the point, where only the thesis remains.

urbanmonk
Scout
Scout

Unread postby urbanmonk » 20 Aug 2006, 00:36

I am a Production Forklift Operator, work in a plant that makes floral/nursery containers and some packaging products out of recycled paper. I haven't been 14 for like 30 years now 8| eeekkk.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Aug 2006, 01:11

Student of history in the University. Working part-time at a supermarket to supplement my budget.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

berntie
Scout
Scout

Unread postby berntie » 20 Aug 2006, 01:26

Paulus1 wrote:I've been working full time throughout my education
Respect. That's one of the things I think I'd never be capable of myself.
urbanmonk wrote:I am a Production Forklift Operator
There's a short (about 9 min; 90MB) German video about a forklift operator's first day at work. Ends up pretty messy ... :D If you're bored you can try to find it on some filesharing networks. No need to understand what they say, as long as you like splatter movies ...

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: What do you do for a living?

Unread postby Corribus » 20 Aug 2006, 02:46

berntie wrote:Corribus is a professor for chemistry or something the like
Well, not yet. Although I am defending my Ph.D. dissertation in four days. :S

As you can imagine, I'm on about no sleep right now.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 20 Aug 2006, 03:02

I am 'semi' retired after a heroic career in the technical marketing area. These days I am trying to redeem my soul by helping small towns extract money from the government for worthy causes == parks, recycling centers, firetrucks, historical reclamations, etc.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Aug 2006, 03:51

berntie wrote:DL goes to school
College,to be more precise.Studying menagment.

As for what puts food in my mouth,Im steel a leech on my parrents,although I do some translating or writing when the money is needed.

Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 20 Aug 2006, 04:32

I'm 31 years old and I work as a graphics designer at a small printing house.
I was lookin’ back to see if you were lookin’ back at me to see me lookin’ back at you.

Mithras
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mithras » 20 Aug 2006, 05:30

I'm actuallay 38 years old and work as a software developer for a consulting company. Most of my time at work I write programs nobody needs (as far as I think) but those consultants are a weird folk and they use them frequently.
It's only Rock 'n Roll (but I like it)
Proud bearer of the caladont-nerd plaque

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 20 Aug 2006, 06:05

I'm 19 years old now and a student in university (studying Physics and Mathematics - sorry Corribus, but there was no way I could have done a triple major [two is plenty already]). Money...I'm a parasite too right now, and will be for at least 4 more years. But then I do wish to become independent soon. :)

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 20 Aug 2006, 08:03

30 ... working in telecommunications - degree in Computer Science
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Aug 2006, 09:40

stefan.urlus wrote:30 ... working in telecommunications - degree in Computer Science
So,to quote only fools and horses,you have DICS :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Aug 2006, 11:19

DaemianLucifer wrote: College,to be more precise.Studying menagment.

As for what puts food in my mouth,Im steel a leech on my parrents,although I do some translating or writing when the money is needed.
This is getting creepy.... but you're definatly the clone... the spelling mistakes are surely side effects of the genetic degeneration.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 Aug 2006, 11:30

22, studying Engineering Physics (which means mathematics, physics and a very tiny dose of engineering). I don't have a job, but live on money from the state.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Aug 2006, 12:00

ThunderTitan wrote: This is getting creepy.... but you're definatly the clone... the spelling mistakes are surely side effects of the genetic degeneration.
Nah,it is me,I just had a fever and a headache(still a bit of a headache),but as an addict,I simply had to come here for a daily fix :devil:

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 20 Aug 2006, 16:35

I'll be a student of Applied Modern Languages (translation: Translator School) starting this autumn, but until then I'm staying with my parents in my hometown. After that, I'll probably be sort of "leeching" too, though I still have some money saved from various scholarships and contest prizes.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 20 Aug 2006, 17:41

I'm 24. I've got a fresh Bachelor's Degree in Management Information Systems, and I'm unemployed.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Return to “Campfire”