How did you know Heroes...

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

How did you know Heroes...

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 28 Jun 2006, 13:48

... or any other 3DO games like Might and Magic series and such. Feel free to tell it in a story if you like. Here's mine:

It's a school day, but there are no lessons. The school has a 'ceremonial' event and we have to come. Me and my friends think it's a complete waste of time, so we kinda... played truancy, or in a nicer way to say it: we skipped school with a very good reason :devious:

We ran to our friend's house, and he's playing Heroes IV. I like it, and borrowed from him.

What's yours?
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Jun 2006, 14:30

I saw HII at my brothers house,and played it there for a while.Then I got myself HIII.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 28 Jun 2006, 14:44

I adapted to the typewriter and computer at a very early age thanks to a mother who was a court reporter in the Washington, DC area. This is the late 70s-Early 80s, when no one had home computers. When you're a kid, everything's a toy, so I started playing on it whenever I could (probably why I'm in the technology world as a professional to this day).

My entire family knew I loved computers and music (she also had tons of recording equipment so I also became a DJ) so most my gifts growing up had to do one or the other.

I also played some D&D, War/Fort in the woods and creeks behind my backyard. So adventure and Role Playing were always known favorites.

Both King's Bounty and Heroes of Might and Magic I were gifts. Since then I haven't been able to wait for gift time to buy the next in the series. It's also how I discovered Final Fantasy on the NES.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 28 Jun 2006, 14:55

I played the Heroes II demo off of a PC Gamer CD. Good ole Broken Alliance...
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Xenofex.XVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Xenofex.XVII » 28 Jun 2006, 14:57

It was year 1999 my 11th birthday . :D I got two CDs from my aunt. One was called "Half-life Oposing force", and another was "антологии New World Computering" After installing HL and trying to play it (320x200@software) I decided that the graphics suck :devious:
"Heroes 2" and "Might and Magic VII" became my favourite games then :devious:
It is time to stop believing and start understanding. - Rael

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 28 Jun 2006, 15:01

I started with the original: Might and Magic I on the Apple IIe. Ironically, along with Might and Magic IX, it's the only game in the series i never finished.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 28 Jun 2006, 15:03

Long story...

It was in 1993 or 94... A colleague of my father came back from Hong-Kong with pirated Sega Megadrive (the console called "Genesis" in the US) cartridges, each containing eight to ten games. On one of those cartridges there was a game called "Might and Magic : Gates to Another World". I was 7 or 8 at the time, I couldn't even survive the first town :D

A few years later (1997 I think) I found a game magazine bundled with Heroes of Might and Magic, the first one. I remembered the name and bought the magazine. But the game wouldn't work on the computer. I was quite angry for wasting my money. My father told me to send back the game CD to the magazine's publisher. I did, and two weeks later we received a new CD : apparently there had been a problem with the pressing of the disc. The new one worked. Me and my father tried the game in hot-seat mode and two hours later we were both hardcore fans of Heroes ^^ Then we bought Heroes II which was just released in low-price edition... And that was it ;)

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 28 Jun 2006, 15:19

Short Story … :-D

I bought a new PC and went to EB to seek a new game. After perusing the shelves, I saw two copies of Heroes of Might & Magic I. They had different prices so I asked the clerk, "how come"? He told me one was for DOS & the other was for Windows 95. I bought the Windows 95 edition; and when I played it, what a surprise … I LOVED IT! and have ever since. :proud:
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 28 Jun 2006, 15:44

Once (very long ago) upon a (gift-) time, there was a friend who knew my gaming preferences... And then suddenly I was guiding Christian to Terraneus. :D
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 28 Jun 2006, 15:44

Another short story...

My friend walked up to me about 7 or so years ago and said, "Have you ever seen a Titan fight a Dragon?" Well, to make a short story shorter, later that day I was playing Roland's Campaign in H2.
Hell has frozen over...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 28 Jun 2006, 16:38

Vlad976 wrote:I played the Heroes II demo off of a PC Gamer CD. Good ole Broken Alliance...
Same :)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 Jun 2006, 16:49

Ditto. :D
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 28 Jun 2006, 16:52

You people who say you started with H2: had you played MM the RPG before, or was H2 your intro to the franchise?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Jun 2006, 16:56

Nope,just heroes here.I wanted to start the M&M once,but got foiled in that atempt.But who knows what the future brings.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 28 Jun 2006, 17:02

Corribus wrote:had you played MM the RPG before, or was H2 your intro to the franchise?
Heroes games came first, then I started playing the MM rpgs.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 28 Jun 2006, 17:03

Vlad976 wrote:
Corribus wrote:had you played MM the RPG before, or was H2 your intro to the franchise?
Heroes games came first, then I started playing the MM rpgs.
Ditto that, and ditto starting with the H2 demo from PC Gamer.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 Jun 2006, 17:38

This is weird. :| Is there any mod who didn't start with the H2 demo, getting it from PC Gamer? :D

H2 was the first MM of any kind for me as well.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Jun 2006, 17:45

I bought the Heroes of Might and Magic Compendium (H1 + H2 + POL) after resisting the urge to try any Might and Magic game. I didn't play Heroes I for long and switched to H2, which I played to completion. But my addiction really began after I bought Heroes III after a boring training session in Toronto.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 28 Jun 2006, 18:03

Seems everyone but me has played MM...go figure.
Hell has frozen over...

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 28 Jun 2006, 18:05

@Derek
You're not alone.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Return to “Campfire”