Anyone here read Forgotten Realms? I'm sure someone does...

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
darussiaman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Anyone here read Forgotten Realms? I'm sure someone does...

Unread postby darussiaman » 25 Jun 2006, 04:23

Okay, I'm confused about where to start. I was looking at those books at my local Borders one time (I was recommended them before) and there are a lot of them. And there seem to be at least several different sets of books, where each set is its own story and setting. I ended up getting the darkelf trilogy and been reading that. But just judging from the back of the book, it is definitely not one of the first books in that series. So after I'm done with that, where should I start??

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jun 2006, 07:33

Here's the list of Drizzt novels except the DE trilogy, in order:
THE ICEWIND DALE TRILOGY, by R.A. Salvatore
1. THE CRYSTAL SHARD
2. STREAMS OF SILVER
3. THE HALFLING'S GEM
THE LEGACY OF THE DROW SERIES, by R.A. Salvatore
1. THE LEGACY
2. STARLESS NIGHT
3. SIEGE OF DARKNESS
4. PASSAGE TO DAWN
THE PATH OF DARKNESS SERIES, by R.A. Salvatore
1. THE SILENT BLADE
2. THE SPINE OF THE WORLD
3. SERVANT OF THE SHARD
4. SEA OF SWORDS
THE HUNTER'S BLADES TRILOGY, by R.A. Salvatore
1. THE THOUSAND ORCS
2. THE LONE DROW
3. THE TWO SWORDS
And HERE's a list of FR novels. There's alot of them.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jun 2006, 09:42

Too much of them if you ask me.I find BG and other TSR games combined with rulebooks as enough information for me :devil:

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 25 Jun 2006, 12:58

The only FR book worth reading is Dark Elf (IMO).
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jun 2006, 13:09

I like the original Drizzt trilogy too (THE ICEWIND DALE TRILOGY). It was nice that he wasn't the uber-swordmaster of the latter books.
Then again I probably wouldn't spend money on any of them.

And There are 2 BG's book chronicleing the games, aren't there?
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 25 Jun 2006, 15:01

I read the Icewind Dale trilogy, and several other Forgotten Realms books; I loved them at the time but it has been several years and I just don't remember their titles.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 25 Jun 2006, 15:20

I’d recommend the first and last books of the Icewind Dale Trilogy (second one was so-so IMO, first was the best of the three), the Dark Elf Trilogy, and as I remember Daughter of the Drow was also decent. The only ones I read beside those seven IIRC is Year of the Rogue Dragons (though that was a bunch of short stories) and Elminster: Making of a Mage, but I don’t really recommend the latter; it started out all right but it devolved into a series of vaguely-related combats. Not what I’d recommend to start the FR series with.

Also, I’ve been considering hunting down The Rite and The Rage by Richard Lee Byers, can anyone tell me if those are any good or should I not bother?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jun 2006, 19:41

Kareeah Indaga wrote:I remember Daughter of the Drow was also decent.
I liked the whole Starlight and Shadows series. Just something about Berserkers that's cool. And seeing a neutral drow was rather refreshing.

Never managed to finish the Elminster series... it does get boring, don' it.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 26 Jun 2006, 03:17

ThunderTitan wrote: Never managed to finish the Elminster series... it does get boring, don' it.
I only read the one, but if it’s on par with the rest of the series I’d say so.

Gljivko a.k.a Vortex
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Gljivko a.k.a Vortex » 26 Jun 2006, 16:09

Heh, how could I miss this post :D

Anyway, I found most of the R.A. Salvatore's books interesting with the Dark Elf Trilogy and Cleric Quintet on top.
The next series I'll give a try are:

Elaine Cunningham: Songs and Swords
Mel Odom: The Threat From The Sea

darussiaman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby darussiaman » 26 Jun 2006, 19:38

Coool, lots of great help! Thanks guys! Well, I just got done with Homeland, and that was pretty good. Although IMO it went downhill somewhat towards the end. (The unwrapping of the story didn't satisfy me as much as I had hoped) Overall I guess I can't say it was awesome but still definitely worth reading!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Jun 2006, 19:54

darussiaman wrote: (The unwrapping of the story didn't satisfy me as much as I had hoped) Overall I guess I can't say it was awesome but still definitely worth reading!
Well the story had to end that way because it was written after the Icewind Dale trilogy.

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 02 Jul 2006, 00:16

I read the Icewind Dale and Legacy series, with the exception of Passage to Dawn, and some Salvatore outside FR, but they never really had any lasting appeal for me, perhaps because of D&D Genericity? If that's a word, of course. These are fairly decent books, though, and I enjoyed them while reading.
Happy Millenium!

NAG
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NAG » 23 Jul 2006, 13:38

pffff...read so many FR novels can´t remember them all. Favorite authors: RA Salvatore (ofcourse) and Elain Cunnigham.
Nil volentibus arduum!

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 23 Jul 2006, 23:34

Soo…has anyone read The Rage and The Rite that can tell me if they are worth hunting down???

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 29 Nov 2006, 13:53

Linky

You can find many infro about FR here.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 29 Nov 2006, 23:59

It's kind of like watching someone else play D&D.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 30 Nov 2006, 01:10

First three trilogies of Drizzt for me.And the baldur's gate one.
I liked the Drizzt books but occasionally it gets boring when you read about characters that don't interest you.The story keeps up well though there are some small inconsistences between dark elf and icewind dale.Salvatore's characters tend to be a bit too powerful to the point you think 'come on,gimme a break! And there are times he can totally surprise you,do things you wouldn't believe or guess.Some comebacks although expected you may find difficult to accept as they are too convenient!
The baldur's gate...Alright I liked the first and last book but the second is plain sacrilegious! The author of the first two writes well but has a disgusting set of mind.You probably won't like how things are presented or the changes he has made,try to see it as baldur's gate in a parallel dimension.The storyline is a bit altered too with only a few familiar characters in the team.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 30 Nov 2006, 08:31

Ok I read a lot of books so please forgive me if I get a couple confused. I know Eleminster is Forgotten Realms and Kelben Blackstaff. Is the Test of the Twins Dragon Lance or Forgotten Realms? If so, you should read the whole line up of this. One of the most interesting 'heroes' I've ever encountered. Even if not FR, you should still give it a go. Anyhow, Forgotten Realms (even if the twins are DragonLance) is a very amazing place. Some of the people there (like elminster) are very powerful and very interesting also.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 Nov 2006, 08:55

test of the twins and it's associated books is all DragonLance, awesome books, Raistlin being a very complex character, as were most of them, excluding Tasslehoff Burrfoot

Time of the twins
Test of the twins
and War of the twins form the Legends Trilogy of DragonLance, other worthy books in the series are the Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning - which make up the Chronicles Trilogy

also read Kaz the Minotaur which was interesting
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Return to “Campfire”