Book suggestions

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

http://www.answers.com/

Unread postby Metathron » 23 Jun 2006, 21:25

Derek wrote:In regards to science being accesible to layman,

Is Hawking's "A Brief History of the Universe" worth reading? I'm guessing that you've read it Corribus. :creative:
Being a science dilettante (at best), I decided to give it a shot in pursuit of self-enlightenment. Even though the author uses a user-friendly approach, I felt a tad befuddled at times. All in all, however, I consider it a largely satisfactory read.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 24 Jun 2006, 01:27

Most of mine favorite are allready mentioned.
But Animal Fram and all books by Jan Guillou are pretty good.- Ofcourse I haven't read Guiloou's hunting book ;|

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 24 Jun 2006, 02:50

I suggest Stephen Colbert’s Alpha Squad 7: Lady Nocturne: A Tek Jansen Adventure, but only if you have the balls.

I also suggest 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas: The Hunt for Red October, Captain Ahab's Revenge, the best sequel ever written and the best part: cyborg pirate ninjas with lasers.

I, Mr. Roboto is also a good book, it’s about a dystopian future where rock and or roll are suppressed by the all powerful Dr. Righteous and it details the amazing journey of Robert Orin Charles Kilroy.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 24 Jun 2006, 03:59

Derek wrote:Is Hawking's "A Brief History of the Universe" worth reading? I'm guessing that you've read it Corribus. :creative:
Ironically enough, I have not yet read it. There is another book on a similar topic that I can, however, recommend, and it is called "Black Holes and Timewarps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy" by Kip Thorne. I'm not sure if it is still in print, though.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Jun 2006, 07:40

Derek wrote:Is Hawking's "A Brief History of the Universe" worth reading? I'm guessing that you've read it Corribus. :creative:
Its a nice read.But it does come a bit confusing at times,even though its written in the simplest way possible.Some things just arent meant to be simplified.

Genesis
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Genesis » 24 Jun 2006, 16:00

How about The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov. Now THAT'S a good book.

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Cunning Death » 25 Jun 2006, 22:13

Derek wrote:Is Hawking's "A Brief History of the Universe" worth reading?
Maybe you could try The Universe in a Nutshell, also from Hawking
(even if you don't read it, you can still have a look at the pictures... :) )
warning! there might be documented features in Heroes V
Water Polo European Championships Hajrá magyarok!

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 26 Jun 2006, 16:29

Cunning Death wrote:
I assume that that book is also accesible to the layman, because the minute some crazy physics jargon is thrown my way, well, I just might explode.
Hell has frozen over...

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

The Universe in a Nutshell

Unread postby Cunning Death » 26 Jun 2006, 20:02

Derek wrote:
Cunning Death wrote:
I assume that that book is also accesible to the layman, because the minute some crazy physics jargon is thrown my way, well, I just might explode.
Well, I wouldn't suggest that kind of physics book for anyone :) it's actually written for ppl not deeply involved in physics, it hasn't odd mathematical formulae (short: popular science book)
It's a very good book imho (I read it in the high school), with superb illustrations, I don't think you would explode reading it
(common mortals never experience the real meaning of advanced math :) you have to experience the pure triviality of most complex and abstract maths sooo many times during the years :-D)

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: The Universe in a Nutshell

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 26 Jun 2006, 22:31

Cunning Death wrote:(common mortals never experience the real meaning of advanced math :) you have to experience the pure triviality of most complex and abstract maths sooo many times during the years :-D)
Complex math, trivial? Complex Analysis gets you really odd results in ways that are about as far from trivial as you can get. The infamous "sum of all positive integers" things is based on complex analysis, for example.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

darussiaman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby darussiaman » 27 Jun 2006, 00:45

Wow, I'd think someone would mention this by now (I was under impression it's kinda popular, but who knows):

The Earthsea series (4 books) by Ursula K. LeGuin.

It's quite short, but pretty powerful imo. Each book is only like 100-ish pages, so all of u should consider it, since u could get through it in a breeze. Except for the 4th one -- that one's like 2x or 3x as long as any of the others (But still, that's nothing to an avid reader heh). The first 3 are about Ged's adventures as a wizard and the 4th is ... well it has Ged in it but it's different; it's not at all like the first 3. The fourth one is rather strange, actually. But I don't mean that in a negative way, I mean that it's intriguingly strange. All of them are good. They're fantasy, of course. Great reading! Remains strongly in my memory.

--

Another fantasy I want to mention, which fits with this thread starter's intent of introducing somewhat obscure titles:

The Dragon Nimbus books 1-4 and the Dragon Nimbus History books 1-3 by Irene Radford.

These books have quite a few different characters with separate stories tying together into one pretty intricate (and fairly big) overall plot. Also has a pretty original "mechanics" of magic. That is, how magic works in the author's world, how magic users draw and wield their power, etc. is pretty creative.

--

Out of my 2 recommendations above, I'd say go for Ursula LeGuin first.
Last edited by darussiaman on 11 Aug 2006, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Cunning Death » 27 Jun 2006, 07:07

Gaidal Cain wrote:
Cunning Death wrote:(common mortals never experience the real meaning of advanced math :) you have to experience the pure triviality of most complex and abstract maths sooo many times during the years :-D)
Complex math, trivial? Complex Analysis gets you really odd results in ways that are about as far from trivial as you can get. The infamous "sum of all positive integers" things is based on complex analysis, for example.
well I meant complex for complexity. And some parts of must get trivial for, it's essential for your survival :)
I'm not a mathematician myself, I'm just studying physics. It's my experience, that even the complicated things in math must be shifting to trivial, you're dead otherwise. In introductionary books calculus is explained like 1+1, and now the functional analysis is treated merely trivial, differential geometry and Lie-groups are just common everyday things. In high school you just didn't see this hierachy of difficulty :-D This is of course no problem for a mathematician :)

ed. it took quiet a while to find this "sum of all positive integers" thingo...
yes, the Riemann zeta function is a bit odd, but it's just like the gamma function imho, I mean, 0,5! having a meaning?? nonsense :D

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Jun 2006, 07:18

Cunning Death wrote:well I meant complex for complexity. And some parts of must get trivial for, it's essential for your survival :)
I'm not a mathematician myself, I'm just studying physics. It's my experience, that even the complicated things in math must be shifting to trivial, you're dead otherwise. In introductionary books calculus is explained like 1+1, and now the functional analysis is treated merely trivial, differential geometry and Lie-groups are just common everyday things. In high school you just didn't see this hierachy of difficulty :-D This is of course no problem for a mathematician :)
You know the 1+1=2 seems trivial to you,but I dare you to prove it.Thats one thing Im happy I dont have to do anymore.Proving some trivial things like multiiplication,1+2=3,etc,is very,very complex.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Jun 2006, 07:48

indeed it is, but i use the 1 apple, grab another and i have two apples theory

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Cunning Death » 27 Jun 2006, 07:48

DaemianLucifer wrote:You know the 1+1=2 seems trivial to you,but I dare you to prove it.Thats one thing Im happy I dont have to do anymore.Proving some trivial things like multiiplication,1+2=3,etc,is very,very complex.
Well that's for mathematicians :devious: their job is to prove things.
My job is to (ab)use them :devil:
Just open up Landau and Lifshitz Course of Theoretical Physics. They're not bothering with all the proofs (sadly there's still some remaining :)) cos it's physics, not maths.

ed. we could return to the discussion of less scientific books, like Harry Potter :D

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 27 Jun 2006, 11:09

Cunning Death wrote:In introductionary books calculus is explained like 1+1, and now the functional analysis is treated merely trivial, differential geometry and Lie-groups are just common everyday things. In high school you just didn't see this hierachy of difficulty :-D This is of course no problem for a mathematician :)
My eductaion is uspposed to be about one third maths, one third Physics, and one thrid Engineering, though I find that it's more like half maths, half physics, and one third engineering ;)
ed. it took quiet a while to find this "sum of all positive integers" thingo...
yes, the Riemann zeta function is a bit odd, but it's just like the gamma function imho, I mean, 0,5! having a meaning?? nonsense :D
It's not so much the fact that the zeta function is odd, it's that the result is actually used in physics that I find so intriguing :D
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Jun 2006, 13:50

Gaidal Cain wrote: My eductaion is uspposed to be about one third maths, one third Physics, and one thrid Engineering, though I find that it's more like half maths, half physics, and one third engineering ;)
And no part spelling. :devil:
DL wrote:You know the 1+1=2 seems trivial to you,but I dare you to prove it.
You take one stick....
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 27 Jun 2006, 14:31

Gaidal Cain wrote:It's not so much the fact that the zeta function is odd, it's that the result is actually used in physics that I find so intriguing :D
Maybe you should reset your own post-count, GC, for continuing to post such off-topic material. ;)
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Jun 2006, 15:33

Corribus wrote: Maybe you should reset your own post-count, GC, for continuing to post such off-topic material. ;)
Yeah,you spammer you :devious:
stefan.urlus wrote:indeed it is, but i use the 1 apple, grab another and i have two apples theory
What applies to one doesnt have to aply to a whole.So it is posible that once youll have just one stick,or three when you have one and take one.You have to prove that youll always have two.Dumb :disagree:

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 27 Jun 2006, 17:17

At the risk of returning to the original topic, you mathematicians would probably enjoy two anthologies by Clifton Fadiman: Fantasia Mathematica and the Mathematical Magpie. Both include a number of math-based short stories and diversions.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Return to “Campfire”