World Cup 2006

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Xenofex.XVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Xenofex.XVII » 10 Jun 2006, 19:27

It is time to stop believing and start understanding. - Rael

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Jun 2006, 19:32

:lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jun 2006, 19:45

Xenofex.XVII wrote:We got their tactics plans :devil:
http://rapidshare.de/files/22726188/Foo ... s.pdf.html
:devious:
So true. I remember once when the Italian player was like a meter away, fell down and got a fault. That was sureal.

And you forgot that in the brasilian one that's just one player doing that.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 10 Jun 2006, 23:33

To keep this thread alive, until the next month, I'll post some of my thoughts on some matches I've watched, though I'm not a football expert, so don't expect a big one.

England 1 Paraguay 0
Actually, I could hardly see anything as I was watching it from a nearby coffee-shop which the TV was so small and placed up so high that everyone cramp around over the little TV. Paraguay had scored the only goal throughout the match before I came, and it was in their own goalpost. :( The ball was headed by Carlos Gamarra in the 4th minute from a free kick by Beckham.

Overall, both teams were almost equally powerful on the field, but England had a bit of the advantage. But after the 4th minute, there was less action, with some close shots occationally, England with the most. Sadly, I started yawning after the 60th minute, as there's nothing much to see.
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Jun 2006, 07:26

Serbia is playing today(I think).Good thing is I wont be near a TV at that time.Cant wait till we drop out,so I can stop listening to the "experts".

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 11 Jun 2006, 15:47

Holland controlled the match and beat Serbia 1-0, rarely needing to get out of second gear. Serbia showed some good moves, but nothing to threaten the Dutch too seriously.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Jun 2006, 16:38

Kalah wrote:Holland controlled the match and beat Serbia 1-0, rarely needing to get out of second gear. Serbia showed some good moves, but nothing to threaten the Dutch too seriously.
They did? :|

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 11 Jun 2006, 16:39

I was somewhat disappointed with the dutch offense though.
Robben was a one man army, but the rest were almost invisible. Especially Van Nistelroy didn't get anything right today.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jun 2006, 17:53

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Kalah wrote: Serbia showed some good moves, but nothing to threaten the Dutch too seriously.
They did? :|
Considering that Holland didn't qualify for the European ones last time i'm thinking it's all relative. :devil:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 11 Jun 2006, 22:03

You mean they didn't qualify for the last World Cup? Because they were certainly in the last european championship.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jun 2006, 22:17

Gaidal Cain wrote:You mean they didn't qualify for the last World Cup? Because they were certainly in the last european championship.
You sure?! Then they must have been awful, as I don't recal. :devil:

Oh, right, the last Word Cup it was.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 11 Jun 2006, 22:20

They got to the semifinals, where Portugal beat them.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jun 2006, 22:27

Gaidal Cain wrote:They got to the semifinals, where Portugal beat them.
Hmm... damn. Memory's all screwed up again. Shuting up now.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Jun 2006, 01:11

whoops ....

yeah, a workmanlike performance from the dutch .... not electrifying certainly, but good to break thru the serbia defence early and manage to hold on the for the win .... the serbia attack was pretty lacking i thought .... their long balls were excellent - they were really, really long :D

i thought england were sloppy in their game, and am concerned they won't go much further unless they can play better

anyone else watching the australia japan game tonight??

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Jun 2006, 02:51

Portugal - Angola really sucked. Most of the match was spent on the centre of the pitch, after five stormy minutes in the beginning. So far this championship has been dominated by the great nations doing exactly as much as they have to, and then playing it safe for the rest of the match. It's clever, it's what one should do, it's what I would have done... but it's not very good TV.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Jun 2006, 03:31

well, i agree that this is true for some of the matches, but not all, the holland serbia game could be read that way, but i found it very enjoyable to watch - holland do play a possession game .... the sweden T&T game was a 0-0 draw, but good to watch .... so imo there have been some good games, and we are only a few games in anyway - watch the australia japan game, if nothing else you should see some strong tackling!!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Jun 2006, 13:02

Australia-Japan on now. I'm guessing a one goal win to Japan.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Jun 2006, 14:43

Cahill just scored Australia's first goal ever in the World Championship. The socceroos have pushed and Japan's goalie has been excellent, but in this case he fumbled and the score was made 1-1. Well deserved.

Edit: 2-1 Australia. Cahill again. Great goal.

Edit once again: 3-1. Apparently the two best players started on the bench. They come in and decide the match. Japan are being humiliated..

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 13 Jun 2006, 00:56

ahhhh .... that was a great game .... and even thou that first goal by the japanese should never have been allowed, it was probably the catalyst to us scoring 3 goals .... we had to push for the win!!

3-1 .... sweet!!! bring on Brazil I say!!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 Jun 2006, 07:08

Kalah wrote:Australia-Japan on now. I'm guessing a one goal win to Japan.
Kalah wrote:Cahill just scored Australia's first goal ever in the World Championship. The socceroos have pushed and Japan's goalie has been excellent, but in this case he fumbled and the score was made 1-1. Well deserved.

Edit: 2-1 Australia. Cahill again. Great goal.

Edit once again: 3-1. Apparently the two best players started on the bench. They come in and decide the match. Japan are being humiliated..
So your guess about the last world cup was just a pure luck? :devil:

Return to “Campfire”