Any other "old farts" playing HMM here?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
blueparrot1966
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby blueparrot1966 » 30 May 2006, 22:25

Age of Wonders was a pretty respectable "spiritual" sequel to MOM.

MOO2 was competent but uninspiring sequel to MOO, and I agree, MOO3 is best forgotten.

I hear Bethesda has the nod for another Fallout, but Oblivion left me cold, and I worry now that that's not a good thing.

I swear, I'd pay good money for rehashes of MOO, X-Com, Fallout, or one of the older Warlords games. All they'd have to do is upgrade the graphics and NOT @#$! IT UP! I've gotten so I get a chill up my spine whenever I hear some enthused marketing type talking about "improving" or "updating" a sequel.

Seems like they'll never learn, there's a REASON things like MOO and X-Com are considered classics, and their unfortunate sequels are not.

Madaxe
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Madaxe » 31 May 2006, 00:05

Wolfshanze wrote:Stardock is doing a new MOO or a new MOM?
MOM, from what I had heard. Saw this in a newsgroup from Brad Wardell, though it is kind of dated now (Sept 2004):
"We are going to do a fantasy based strategy after we finish Galactic Civilizations II. What it will be called remains to be seen of course. But if it becomes Master of Magic II it will certainly be designed as a sequel and not some sort of new game that happens to have the same name. "...... "I picture a MOM 2 being essentially MOM 1 with new graphics (on a 3D engine so you can do all kinds of cool spell effects), more sophisticated AI, a campaign, and some more city building features. But we're still taking quite a ways in the future. We hope to begin development of it next Spring but that depends on staffing (getting good 3D modelers in Michigan has been..challenging and we're going to need some incredibly good 3D artists for this). "

It appears they are trying to get the license to do it, but it may be too expensive. If so, my limited understanding is they might make their own game similar to it.
Wolfshanze wrote:GalCiv2 is now out and getting loads of praise, but after the bad taste GalCiv1 left in my mouth, I can't see myself trying it
Like you, I'm sticking to MOO2 as my main space-4x game until something better comes along.
Yeah, I passed on it too. It sounds too much like GalCiv1, with nice improvements, but not enough to interest me. Will pick up in deep discount bin maybe....

AOW2:SM is still on my list to grab at some point.
blueparrot1966 wrote:I remember stuff like Questron and the Seven Cities of Gold, and the original Pirates!- the game, not the intellectual property thieves
This thread had me thinking of all the cool Commodore games. There were so many....Jumpman, Summer Games, Archon...... My brother and I used to get into it over Archon!
blueparrot1966 wrote:I got into the first Warlords when I got my 386 pc- again, I was high tech, I skipped 286 altogether, and my friends were impressed with my 2 MEG of memory! Whoa
I remember the summer I bought Warlords and Reach for the Stars for my Amiga. That is one of my favorite gaming memories!
blueparrot1966 wrote:MOO2 was competent but uninspiring sequel to MOO, and I agree, MOO3 is best forgotten.
I loved both Moo and Moo2. Moo2 though did replace Moo1 on my hard drive and overall I enjoyed it more.
blueparrot1966 wrote: I swear, I'd pay good money for rehashes of MOO, X-Com, Fallout, or one of the older Warlords games.
I heard rumors of Fallout3 (the first two were great!). Warlords 4 was marginal, but I heard the original team got canned and Steve Fawkner had to come in and quickly get it done. I *believe* he is currently working on Warlords 5. Hopefully he does some new things with it as, IMHO, the series has become stale.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 31 May 2006, 00:24

i still have MOO .... love it, wasn't quite as keen on MOO2 and didn't bother with MOO3 after reading about it .... magnificent game

as for space games, star control 2 was a joy to behold, still got that on the old HD as well

blueparrot1966
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby blueparrot1966 » 31 May 2006, 02:48

MOO2 was all right, I think it was just a victim of high expectations. I never liked the look they chose for it, very washed out and steely as I recall.

Archon, yes, I'd forgotten that one! That was one of the reasons I always fell for the HMM battle style, I think.

Fallout 3 is officially a Bethesda thing, but after the announcements, a long time ago, I haven't heard anything since. Oblivion left me cold though, so I'm not sure that's a good thing or not. I'm not one of the rabid, hardcore Fallout fans who insist that everything MUST be "according to canon". But as someone who remembers not only F1 and 2 fondly, but Wasteland as well, I can only hope that whoever does F3 at least "gets it".

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 31 May 2006, 05:26

Archon was an awsome game .... the whole battlechess thing but done brilliantly

man that game was good

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 31 May 2006, 11:24

I've played since HOMM1 and am in the over 40 crowd so I'm a proud member of the old farts club. :)

GOW

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 31 May 2006, 16:43

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote: so I'm a proud member of the old farts club. :)

GOW
ha ha ...nice
"You cannot make a baby in a month with nine women."

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 02 Jun 2006, 02:49

Wow, "old fart's club" eh!!! Does that include women? ;) If so I guess I also rank here but maybe not :D !!! I fall in over the 60's hill :sweat: I started with might and magic 1 Secret Of The Inner Sanctum I think was the name (dos) and I've played every one in the series, including homm series. Looking forward for DM and the patch for hommV... I can't remember what machine I first started on because it was my son's computer.. long time ago for this granny!! :D

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 02 Jun 2006, 03:29

Wow, im gonna take that on face value (and the only reason i say that is cause i suspect, if true, that you may have that demographic pretty much to yourself :-D )

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 02 Jun 2006, 05:40

blueparrot1966 wrote: But as someone who remembers not only F1 and 2 fondly, but Wasteland as well, I can only hope that whoever does F3 at least "gets it".
Wasteland! That game had some amazing content. Remember those kinky Watchers? The Toaster repair station? VAX? The psychedelic sequence? There's never been a game with more mind blowing settings.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 02 Jun 2006, 09:47

stefan.urlus wrote:Wow, im gonna take that on face value (and the only reason i say that is cause i suspect, if true, that you may have that demographic pretty much to yourself :-D )
R U referring to me? :D If so, I guess it goes to show ya, no one is too old for the computer or games, huh!!! ;) I guess every group could use a granny :lol:

Profitable_Choy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

The eternally nerfed fighter of fuzz

Unread postby Profitable_Choy » 10 Jun 2006, 02:00

my first game was Agent USA for the c64... man that game had me entranced for soooo long.

I'd love to know if anyone here played it because I was never able to defeat the fuzz bomb, despite 100's of attempts, some as recently as last year. Despite reading online last year that all you had to do was crash into the fuzzbomb once you had 100 crystals to win, I can testify that this is bogus because I have tried this before...

I have now begun to suspect that this game is unclockable, and perhaps just a devious allegory designed to illustrate the unstoppable viral nature of television culture... but then it couldnt be surely? It would be too cruel.

If anyone knows the game here... I'd love to know if you clocked it

tedbear
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Enjoying it

Unread postby tedbear » 10 Jun 2006, 02:29

Homm5 is great fun and yes i have played all of them. Has anyone else completed the defence campaign with the elves ? I cant seem to find a way to kill the purple necromancer that comes once a week to attack the castle. I own the whole map that I can see and have freed the 2 prisoners and no update. Well if you can help thanks .

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 20 Jun 2006, 06:37

addicted wrote:
stefan.urlus wrote:Wow, im gonna take that on face value (and the only reason i say that is cause i suspect, if true, that you may have that demographic pretty much to yourself :-D )
R U referring to me? :D If so, I guess it goes to show ya, no one is too old for the computer or games, huh!!! ;) I guess every group could use a granny :lol:
yes i was .... :)

indeed it does, it's great to see

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 24 Jun 2006, 23:27

Well let's see the first computer game I played was Starflight 1, then a couple of King's Quest and the Black Cauldron games. The RPG that hooked me was Phantasy Star II for the Genesis. Then the long line of Gold Box, Wizardry and M&M games oh those were the days.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jun 2006, 09:30

Ahhh the black cauldron...A tough one indeed.Phantasy Star II??I never ended the first one :(

Xenofex.XVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Xenofex.XVII » 25 Jun 2006, 10:30

I'm 18 now. Do I qualify as an old fart? ;|
It is time to stop believing and start understanding. - Rael

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 25 Jun 2006, 14:57

DaemianLucifer wrote:Ahhh the black cauldron...A tough one indeed.Phantasy Star II??I never ended the first one :(
Well I did have an advantage, by the time I bought Phantasy Star II the strategy guide was included with the game. I used it only for the maps, but that made the game easier, but still a enough of a challenge to be enjoyable. ;) I just wish Sega would publish a sequel that was not online, just me I do not play online games.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Queen Hera
Pixie
Pixie

Old farts

Unread postby Queen Hera » 29 Jun 2006, 11:59

I started with Might & Magic III (Isles of Terror) (year ?1991)using 360k 5.25" floppy disks & EGA graphics (wow). Have played all those games up to Might & Magic IX, & have played Heroes of M&M 1 to 4 & now attempting Heroes 5.
I agree with Purple Sky - I loved HOMM IV too (& HOMM 1, II & III)
I'm finding Heroes 5 a bit "clunky" at the moment, I guess once I get the fiddly camera manouvering working I might start to enjoy it more.

blueparrot1966
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby blueparrot1966 » 08 Feb 2009, 19:53

Wow, a blast from the past! I was searching for something else, and came across this. And I started it, lol.

Fallout 3, a distant prospect then, has been out for months now, and in my opinion, it's better than I'd hoped for, even if it IS geared towards a console world. It's a lot of fun right out of the box, and with the mod community swarming over it, the game play is getting to be as old school as a fella could wish for.

I've been working in Antarctica the last few months, with a non gaming laptop for off hours amusement. I've replayed HMM III, Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 extensively in recent months, and I've loved it. I stand by my original opinion. I'd cheerfully pay good money for modern rehashes of the old Great Games.

Old farts of the world unite! (ppphhht... excuse me...)

Return to “Campfire”