Any other "old farts" playing HMM here?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
blueparrot1966
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Any other "old farts" playing HMM here?

Unread postby blueparrot1966 » 29 May 2006, 02:09

I go all the way back to King's Bounty on my Commodore 64, and this has been one of the best franchises of gaming goodness in the history of the hobby.

KB and Heroes I and II were all respectable progressions of the genre. I was one of the people who actually LIKED the opera bits in HMM II. Also, anyone remember a scenario called Arrax the Jerk? I never did beat that one... Anyway, HMM III was the pinnacle of the series, in my not so humble opinion. Anyone disagree? HMM IV, it's best not to talk about. Tragic.

Like most people, I think HMM V is a mixed bag so far, some very nice stuff, and some "what where they THINKING?!" things too. But the bottom line is, I'm just glad the series still has life- and that they didn't totally @#$! it up as I'd feared they might.

What does everyone else thing, about HMM V, or the whole series back to the C64 beginnings?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 29 May 2006, 02:13

i don't go quite as far back, but did enjoy who dares wins on the C64 - that game rocked!!

i actually loved HII, HIII and HIV, they are different, but i enjoyed them all in their own rights

EDIT: did play in the vic20, but don't think they released anything heroish for that one ;-) (that was in about '82)
Last edited by asandir on 29 May 2006, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 29 May 2006, 02:58

Not sure I qualify as "old fart" in your book, but I was gaming on the C64 back in the 80s, the Amiga in the early 90s and the PC since then. My first C64 game ever was "Mail Order Monsters" if anyone is old-fart enough to remember that title.

While I never played Kings Bounty, I did play the original Warlords on the Amiga, as well as every version of HOMM on the PC, starting with HOMM-1.

5il3nc3r
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby 5il3nc3r » 29 May 2006, 03:03

Define old-fart :P

I started on the atari/C64, I remember I had over 1000 games for the Commodore (around 1180 I think) then I went to the nintendo and at one point played golf and tetris 3D on my mom's 286 back in the days when that was the strongest pc out there ._.

§ıĿ
The pen is deadlier than the sword;
if the pen is very sharp and the sword very short.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Any other "old farts" playing HMM here?

Unread postby Kristo » 29 May 2006, 03:06

blueparrot1966 wrote:IAlso, anyone remember a scenario called Arrax the Jerk? I never did beat that one...
A scribe from Arrax wishes to inform thee that thou art scum. ;) I've never beaten that one either. I didn't particularly like it anyway, but for some reason that quote sticks in my head.

I don't go back quite as far as you do. I've been with the series for about 10 years now - since the Heroes II demo in an issue of PC Gamer. Heroes II is by far my favorite. And yes, it's ok to like the opera music. In fact, if you search deep enough around here, there's a way to play Price of Loyalty with the original H2 opera music.

5il3nc3r
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Any other "old farts" playing HMM here?

Unread postby 5il3nc3r » 29 May 2006, 03:10

Kristo wrote:I've been with the series for about 10 years now - since the Heroes II demo in an issue of PC Gamer. Heroes II is by far my favorite.
Same. I discovered Heroes with the demo on a PCGamer (or was it PCGames) CD. I remember the CD's packaging being a white paper case, with a shot of heroes 2 taking up most of the space. I played H2 for hours on end.

Ahh, good times good times ˘-˘

§ıĿ
The pen is deadlier than the sword;
if the pen is very sharp and the sword very short.

blueparrot1966
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby blueparrot1966 » 29 May 2006, 03:30

"Old fart" is all relative, of course. But playing WoW (the only mmorpg I ever got into) taught me that I AM one, at 39. There was a platoon of 30 and 40 somethings (and above) playing, but we were always surrounded by a regiment, an ARMY of 25 and unders.

It really started to sink in with me when I realized how LONG some of these game "franchises" have been around, and that I'd been familiar with them since the beginning. I don't just remember the original Command & Conquer, I played Dune II, years before C&C or the first Warcraft made the scene. I remember the Gold Box D&D stuff, fer cryin' out loud.

Ok, everyone who was born later than 1980 dogpile on the old guy now, lol!

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 29 May 2006, 03:36

well, you're safe from me then .... at 30 i normally qualify for old fart too ;-)

Dune II, ahh those memories, loved the rocket tanks against enemy bases!! that game was sooo much fun

what about kings quest III, that game was also a brilliant story line driven game, not sure how it'd hold up these days!!

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 29 May 2006, 03:50

Homm I was my very first game I purchased. I was reading a review of it in PCGamer mag in a store. Just puchased my Pentium 75 Compaq rig & the 14" CRT Monitor was built-in to the CPU case! Ah...So many years ago. Anyway...I'm 40, so I'm border line old.

I discovered Kings Bounty with the release of HoMM I for Windows because it was included. Found the KB "reatail" version of the game on ebay & still have it to this day! Also...I own every single expansion pack & add-on that was ever made (US Releases) of the entire HoMM series.

HoMMV is solid, but as we all know, it has it's issues. I'm sure that Nival will get the game up to speed w/ some patches. One thing that bothers me...The manual down right stinks! Talk about skimpy! I feel sorry for those new players that don't have a clue about what's going on.

So....HoMM 1 is still my favorite, it's not the best of the series, just near & dear to my heart! I played a couple of the campaigns a few months ago. I still get a kick out of the Rogue in HoMM1. Kind of reminds me of McDonalds " Hamburgerlar" guy.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 29 May 2006, 04:25

I started computer gaming almost 40 years ago playing TREK and ADVENT on the mainframe. My first PC game was Chess, in BASIC, that I typed in myself on an Atari 400. I played Kings Bounty at a friend's house but did not start playing Heroes seriously I was hospitalized and needed something to pass the time. My first map was Colossal Cavern for Heroes II.

I don't think of myself as an old fart, since I plan to live until I'm a hundred. That would be about version XII in Heroes time.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 29 May 2006, 04:27

my first map was beltway - still love that map

urbanmonk
Scout
Scout

Unread postby urbanmonk » 29 May 2006, 05:05

H2 was first of the series for me. Guess I'm an old fart ;) I'm (cough cough) 43.......my favorite from the 64 days was Bards Tale, Wasteland a distant 2nd......been gaming since Pong was the first and only home video system, then it went from there.

Desiraae
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Desiraae » 29 May 2006, 06:23

I discovered HoMM2 when I got my first 286, I think I was playing warcraft 2 and went to (what is now) gamestop and discovered it there. I don't know if that makes me old or not, but I am a long time fan! I have played every version since 2, I think I may have missed some of the expansions, got a little busy raising kids...but now they are teens and I am back and just as hooked now as I was then...somebody...stop me!! 8|

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 29 May 2006, 06:24

The best custom map I ever played was something like "The River" for Heroes II... anyone remember that? So well balanced and interesting.

I even made my own "War of the Ring" map for Heroes III many, MANY moons ago... let me see...

Yep... still have the website. If anyone wants to see that old Heroes III map, I still have an old website for it I nearly forgot about:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... deluxe.htm

Purple Sky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Purple Sky » 29 May 2006, 06:37

Why do people hate HoMM IV? It has the best graphics of the series, in my opinion. And most importantly the RPG elements of the heroes are superior. The texts were a nice touch, too.

Actually, i kindah like HoMM IV more than the 5th and the 3rd one.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 29 May 2006, 06:39

good for you, i love 'em all

but i can understand why some people did not like HIV, it was a large change from HIII .... some people just weren't into that

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 29 May 2006, 08:19

Purple Sky wrote:Why do people hate HoMM IV? It has the best graphics of the series, in my opinion. And most importantly the RPG elements of the heroes are superior. The texts were a nice touch, too.

Actually, i kindah like HoMM IV more than the 5th and the 3rd one.
I totally agree with you.. I am one of the few I guess that liked H-IV. I just got my H-V and haven't really played it yet but tried it a little just to check stuff out.. I can't help but feel disappointment and I for sure don't like the camera movement but I will give it the benifit of doubt for now.. but I still like H-IV the best for all the reasons you stated and gameplay..

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 29 May 2006, 08:43

hehe,yea old fart here...started playing kb on amiga(500 or 2000 not sure)

for me h4 is the best so far,liked all the new stuff and it really shines in multiplayer and that would be my favorite way of playing,hotseat with friends
"You cannot make a baby in a month with nine women."

Purple Sky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Purple Sky » 29 May 2006, 09:21

What annoys me about HoMM 5 are the graphics. 3D in strategy games is wrong, in my opinion. With current technology you cant implent them so they would look better than 2D/3D hybrids.

The maps in HoMM 4 are more colorfoul and seem biger. The creatures are more realistic looking.

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 29 May 2006, 09:31

I love the whole series...

It started with the demo of Heroes III. Got interested with it. I've played it a dozen times untill the full game was released. And that's how it started. HIII is the game that I've played longer than any other possible game. Much longer. I've played HI and HII just from curiosity, those are very good, but for me HIII is their absolute advanced form, so I didn't play them too long (I miss some of the features from HIII while playing them), instead I've played HIII. HIV for me was very good, I've played it quite some time, and still play it. Graphics, music, skill system, atmosphere/climate and the fact that you could make any possible map with the map editor, because it had a very advanced event system (in comparison to HIII).

Now it's time for HV, so far I didn't play the full version. I like it's graphic, some features. Some I dislike. For now the game is too bugged, sth must be done with it, because even HIV didn't have so many bugs. Some of the designers decisions were wrong (like the look of some units, "no HIV" strategy).
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Return to “Campfire”