Star Trek Picard Series

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Star Trek Picard Series

Unread postby Blake » 16 Aug 2019, 13:27

Old news now but is anyone else pumped for this??

Data, 7 of 9, the Borg, Hugh (borg guy from TNG), and apparently Riker & Troi too.. all back!!

CBS region locked the trailer surprise surprise so here's an amazon international one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhBBXHwEsIo

CBS trailer for US (which I can't play):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbXy0f0aCN0
Last edited by Blake on 16 Aug 2019, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Re: Star Trek Picard Series

Unread postby Blake » 24 Aug 2019, 08:52

Found this trailer analysis by Trek Central. Looks like they going with post apocalypse (the controversial supernova event) Romulan's experimenting with Borg technology presumably to try and regain some lost power. Gotta love the lab sign saying 5,843 days without assimilation lol! Looks like they have control of a cube too. Considering Romulan's and Borg were my favourite villains from TNG this pleases me greatly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GofH33eer3A

Last edited by Blake on 24 Aug 2019, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Sep 2019, 17:40

Looking forward to seeing SirPatStew back in action.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 20 Sep 2019, 08:22

Same!!

Oooooh looks like Robert Picardo, the EMH Doctor from Voyager might be in Star Trek Picard too. God this show opens up so many cool things for not just TNG fans but Voyager and DS9 fans too! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNXW3pBNHgM

Last edited by Blake on 20 Sep 2019, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 06 Oct 2019, 02:10

RED ALERT! We've got another new trailer. The beard is back! The old uniforms make a cameo! 7 of 9 is doing her Ronin thing. And we introduce the most hated admiral in Star Trek history haha!

US:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FySrgrKJguE

People like me outside of US:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvKBeOKvblI

Last edited by Blake on 07 Oct 2019, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 27 Jan 2020, 07:25

I've seen the first ep now.

My thoughts (SPOILER ALERT):
I loved the opening shot with the camera closing in on the Enterprise D (which had some interesting design modifications) and going through the window into to the room.. the kind of shot you always wanted to see as a kid watching TNG but knew they couldn't really do effectively (well not without spending some heavy money lol, which is kind of ironic considering the 60s failed trek pilot sort of has a camera through bridge window shot)..

I enjoyed the whole episode but I feel like I can't quite give judgement yet. I need to know more about what's going on and need to see how things pan out story wise.

Also the zero mention of Lal and Lore seems a bit strange in a world where the daystrom institute desperately wanted to replicate Data. I mean what happened to their parts after they were disassembled? B4 was in a drawer so where's the Lal and Lore drawers haha?

First thought was.. did the writers forget them?.. but that seems unlikely consider they brought Hugh back which means they clearly remember Descent 1 & 2 which Lore was in. The whole Daughter 2.0 storyline suggests the Lal episode is something they know too. Plus Frakes directed that one and he's involved in Picard.
Last edited by Blake on 08 Feb 2020, 13:56, edited 2 times in total.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 01 Feb 2020, 11:04

Apparently CBS has posted the first episode of Picard on YouTube for a limited time. So, if you dont have All Access and want to check it out, you have til Feb 7 to watch it for free. Naturally it's region locked though urgh.

Episode 2 of Picard seen. Glad it explains some of the mysteries & fan complaints about the first episode. SPOILER ALERT

A few fans complained about the weird Starfleet HQ 'rooftop cleanup' job & leave Picard on his couch with no questions asked scene jump moment in ep 1 but now we see the Commodore reviewing the battle cleanup footage (questioning it's effectiveness) and discover this fascinating Starfleet conspiracy with secret Romulan sect plot. I remember people in the past getting so upset about the English writing in the Romulan Borg research post but there are a lots of humans there which explains that one.

We see that the Androids that destroyed Utopia planitia were 'hacked' presumably by this secret synthetic hating Romulan faction. And holy moly they actually acknowledged Picard's Irumodic syndrome that afflicted him around now in the alternate future seen in TNG finale All Good Things. I'm impressed with their attention to detail (regarding old Trek events), which makes me hope the writers haven't forgotten Lore & Lal after all.

The only real gaff I saw was Laris saying Romulans never had a cybernetic program which contradicts the awesome TNG S3 ep the defector where Admiral Jarok tells Data that he knows a number of Romulan cyberneticists that would love to get their hands on him. Although then again maybe its not a gaff as we saw Romulan experts pulling apart dead Borg. You cant really study Borgs without some good cyberneticists lol. Probably just more Romulan secrets lol.
Last edited by Blake on 08 Feb 2020, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 08 Feb 2020, 13:56

I'm still enjoying the show but am still unsure as to whether I actually really really like it or not. Still need to see how story pans out lol.

Episode 3 seen: (spoiler alert - drag mouse select over text to see)
Not thrilled about how they continue to make Picard look slow, weak & frail. You watch him on talk shows and he zips around just fine lol! But I love the fact that in ep 3 it appears writers are trying to address one of those funny never explained issues from old trek.

When I was young it always annoyed me how in TNG supposedly a Borg who got his individuality somehow broke a friggin cube and caused a rebellion on it of sorts when assimilating individuals is what the Borg do lol. Voyager & FC ended up adding a lot of info on how the borg worked, how they connect, and made it pretty obvious that assimilating ex borgs (eg 7 of 9, the borg kids, locutus etc) back into the fold wasn't going to break anything lol, in fact they wanted them. Yes Hugh was a Borg test tube baby and not a previous individual unlike those others I mention but it shouldn't really matter HOW they became an individual when you're grabbing someone and pumping nanites into their blood and connecting them to the hive lol.

However it looks like the new trek writers are carving a story where in reality, Hugh went back to the Borg they reassimilated him no probs but then a few hours later on the trip back to delta they found a nice little yummy Romulan intelligence vessel on the way to assimilate, they start 'processing them' and then 'something' goes wrong (Romulan virus? weapon? racial nanite rejection like the Denobulans?). Hugh presumably wakes up and pops out of his alcove again thinking its somehow caused by him (hence why he later tells Picard in Descent that it was his fault), all the other borgs who don't know how to be individuals start goin nuts and they kick off a nice little rebellion which then at some point Lore arrives on the scene and takes control of them and they escape on the light cruiser which we see in Descent (small borg ships inside big borg ships is nothing new). In fact this new obvious Romulan ex-borg fears of Dahj's sister (ie synthetics) could very well be relating to trauma from what Lore did to many of them when he took over things which once again gives me hope Lore will somehow come into this new story at some point. Probably a long shot though haha..

Am I way off.. we shall see haha.
Last edited by Blake on 08 Feb 2020, 13:57, edited 2 times in total.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 21 Feb 2020, 11:08

Episode 4 seen (belated).. WE'RE OFF!:
Spoiler:
Guess I better hurry up and watch Ep 5 now instead of reading comments as that's just asking for spoilers haha.

Last edited by Blake on 20 Mar 2020, 15:10, edited 2 times in total.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 23 Feb 2020, 11:04

Yeah.. episode 5.. wow.. If people here disliked it you don't have to worry about me arguing with you on this one guys. As this episode broke me too, or more precisely it broke my enjoyment of the show. I didn't enjoy that at all. I thought maybe if I sleep on it I'd feel better but nope, today I'm even grumpier about it haha. Up until now I've only had little nitpicks and have really enjoyed show and have defended it when people have complained about it "not feeling like star trek" but there was next to nothing Star Trek feeling about Ep 5. Those people who complained about past eps not being star trek are gonna looooooove this one lol. I don't wanna walk away from a Star Trek episode feeling frustrated and miserable. When they played the exciting trailer for the next ep and all the cool Borg stuff at the end I didn't even give s***. I was like.. whatever. They're gonna have to work hard in the next few eps to undo the damage that one just did. I can only hope that they had to go that dark and callous to setup the audience to be brought back to the light and happy ending lol. But I can't help but think that if it turned me off that badly then all those people out there who's really not been that into the new show and were barely holding on will probably be like "stuff this!" and be done with it after seeing that ep lol.
Spoiler:
Urgh.. end of rant. Breath Daniel.. Just breath... lol

Like I said.. they're gonna need to work hard to undo the damage this episode did. I think I'd rather rewatch most of the episodes in discovery season 1 than ever watch that episode again lol.

Everywhere I go so far I've seem pretty horrified responses to ep5. I've seen a couple of dudes say they loved ep5 though, I was like WAAAT lol.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Blake on 20 Mar 2020, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 29 Feb 2020, 23:55

My general impression of the series is that the scenes involving Picard and advancing his story line are interesting, but the scenes involving the story lines of all the other characters are pretty bad and detract from the experience. It's sad that they spend so much time on these side stories instead of focusing on what most people are here to see: Picard.
Last edited by mr.hackcrag on 29 Feb 2020, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 20 Mar 2020, 15:09

mr.hackcrag wrote:My general impression of the series is that the scenes involving Picard and advancing his story line are interesting, but the scenes involving the story lines of all the other characters are pretty bad and detract from the experience. It's sad that they spend so much time on these side stories instead of focusing on what most people are here to see: Picard.
Agreed!

Probably noticed I haven't posted here since I blew up a bit over Ep5 haha (although I see you guys have kept things going on without me thankfully haha). I have kept watching the show though but was less invested in it to continue posting my episode round ups. I said after ep 5 that they'd really need some good eps to undo the damage that did, so...

Here's my thoughts on eps 6-9.. (spoiler alert - drag mouse select over text to see)
Spoiler:
Last edited by Blake on 20 Mar 2020, 15:11, edited 2 times in total.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 03 Apr 2020, 15:05

Final Episode 10 rant..
Spoiler:
Last edited by Blake on 03 Apr 2020, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 04 Apr 2020, 18:47

The problem with this new series is that it doesn't feel like Star Trek. If you replaced the original cast with new ones and watched it, I would not believe I was watching Star Trek, rather just a random sci-fi show. I actually enjoyed Discovery more than Picard reboot. Watching Picard just made me sad.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Jul 2020, 10:23

One problem for me is the rehashing of old antagonists. The Borg have been destroyed already, but then brought back again and again like the Daleks in Doctor Who... Why can't they come up with something new and creative?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 05 Jul 2020, 17:18

Borg weren't destroyed at end of Voyager.. they just blew up one of their big hubs.. they've probably got dozens of them and the queen seems to be cloned back into operation pretty quick each time she goes down too haha.

As for new trek.. I thought Discovery season 1 was okay but there were many things that annoyed me. Season 2 was a huge improvement for me however that was mainly due to the additional cast members playing Pike, Spock and Number One on the enterprise, there was still some silly stuff (lazy writing plot hole things as usual) that annoyed me though. Season 3 loses those great additions so I fear it'll disappoint me again lol. My love of the Disco season 2 Enterprise content of course also leaves me super excited for Star Trek Strange New Worlds (aka the Star Trek Pike show fans demanded heh) as they've said it will be a more traditional episodic Star Trek adventure show on the Enterprise! So hopefully they can't screw that up too much... although there's some rumour (possibly BS) out there that it's also going to have a young bisexual Kirk running about in the show so read into that what you will lol!!

But back to good old Picard.. I've decided I'm not going to call it that anymore now. To me this show shall now be known as 'Patrick Stewart Goes To Space' (PSGTS for short) as there really isn't much Star Trek or Picard in it lol!!! I've been waiting for the 'Critical Drinker' to review PSGTS as I've become an fan of his after seeing his Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker reviews on those cluster****s. Sure enough in the video below you can see he hates it and he talks about Picard himself being rather useless just like I talked about in my episode reviews earlier in this thread. Yes I know hating on stuff is kind of his gimmick haha but he makes good points that match a lot of my previously posted thoughts.

This is Patrick Stewart Goes To Space!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsmqcLv8Q-4

And this is Star Trek Picard baby!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKZQnkY2fXk

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 06 Jul 2020, 09:07

Blake wrote:Borg weren't destroyed at end of Voyager.. they just blew up one of their big hubs.. they've probably got dozens of them and the queen seems to be cloned back into operation pretty quick each time she goes down too haha..
Yeah that's the writers' cop-out I'm talking about. It's like: "Yeeey, finally the BBEG is dead!" "No, not really, I wasn't fully dead, so now I'm back..." It means there is never resolution. And I don't like that.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 26 Jul 2020, 15:19

Blake wrote: Sure enough in the video below you can see he hates it and he talks about Picard himself being rather useless just like I talked about in my episode reviews earlier in this thread.
The show tries to symbolize the uselessness of old people and that you should leave it to ill-mannered punk kids to save the world while old geezers sit on the sidelines collecting dust.

Return to “Campfire”