Chess

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Chess

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Jan 2015, 16:50

I've gotten hooked on chess lately. Bought some new pieces on my trip to Greece, also bought a box for them and I'm looking for a fancy board.

Also playing online a little bit. Anybody wanna play on chess.com? :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 19 Jan 2015, 17:38

Yeah, why not. My chess.com username is ChristianHinse.

I used to play there a couple of years ago.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 27 Jan 2015, 17:13

I forgot about that game...

Sorry about that. :D

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Jan 2015, 23:12

Lol :P
It is now listed as my best win, because of your rating :D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Jan 2015, 15:11

Good for you... ;)

It's funny that Facebook constantly reminds me of the birthday of people I barely know, but didn't bother to notify my of my Chess game...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Jan 2015, 17:16

I noticed that - I have won several matches like this and it's really boring. There should be an option for e-mail alerts for this kind of thing. I think I'll send the site a note about it.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 10 Apr 2015, 10:47

I'm having fun in my latest tournament. The last one I entered I got my @ss handed to me on a plate, so it's nice to see the opposite happen for a change. I won my group (no. 69). :-D I won it partly because the strongest opponent timed out, partly because of a few lucky breaks (stupid moves from my opponents), and partly because I'm awesome. ;)

What's particularly fun about it is that since I won all the matches in this preliminary round, I am on 10 points and very high up in the total score board. :D

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Re: Chess

Unread postby Galaad » 30 Oct 2015, 11:34

My brother is hardcore chess addict (got around +2000 pts) he spends most of his free time at www.europe-echecs.com

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Oct 2015, 14:06

Sounds good, but I'm staying on chess.com since that works for me. I'm only ranked in the high 1300s, but I did manage to finish 13th out of 100 in that tournament I mentioned. :D

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 30 Oct 2015, 14:24

One doesn't rule out the other. ;)
Sometimes I go to europe-echecs just to casually play as a guest vs another random guest.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Oct 2015, 19:07

Well, I don't speak French so that does rule it out for me. ;)

I just played a quick game with my teacher colleague while slightly drunk from great wine we have been drinking, and - naturally - there were mistakes. His were bigger than mine so I won. Lol it really got blundering in near the end ... :D

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 30 Oct 2015, 20:10

lmao I thought the website was also available in english, my bad.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 30 Oct 2015, 23:42

I used to play chess once per year years ago. I think I lack spirit at playing it. :lol:
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Mar 2016, 19:55

I just won 6 matches and lost only one at blitz. :D
Better quit while I'm ahead...

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 20 Mar 2016, 12:32

I played it occasionally, but I find it a bit bland. I'd rather play MArcomage instead.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 20 Mar 2016, 14:02

Hey Kalah do you follow current FIDE chess tournaments 2016? Do you have a fav?

e4!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Mar 2016, 16:50

My favourite is of course Magnus Carlsen, seeing as he's Norwegian. :) The interest for chess has really gotten a boost since he made his breakthrough; TV channels are showing full-day live broadcasts when he plays, and the general interest is higher.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 20 Mar 2016, 20:25

What do you think of Vachier-Lagrave's way of playing compared to Carlsen? You want to have a french-norway game with me? Hope that TV channels you've been watching was a good training for you! You can choose the color of pieces for a chess game here on this thread the old way (without engines that goes without saying ofc).

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Mar 2016, 01:46

I remember watching his performance in Norway Chess 2015 and the commentators were a bit surprised at how well he did. Later, he played really strongly in Sinquefeld, drawing against Grischuk, Caruana and Anand, actually beating Topalov (the commentators sure didn't see that coming), I saw him get beaten by Carlsen and while he has an interesting style trying to be a bit innovative, he just didn't have the endurance Carlsen does. I'm not sure I like Carlsen's recent style; he's turning into a bit of a machine that makes the opponents play for hours and hours until they make a mistake, then he pounces. I like to play aggressively, myself. Win or bust! :D

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 21 Mar 2016, 13:20

Sometimes what is more complicated is to not play.
In a position where to not make things better and how to erase oneself to the position, and somewhere make the opponent face the absence of ideas. How to play chess without filling the void, that requires such a deep and subtle understanding of the game that he allows himself boredom, from where mistakes from opponents will arise. Less on analytic knowledge and more on a reverence to the position, which makes Carlsen a genius.
Vachier-Lagrave is a creative player, today fifth best player worldwide, aggressive, taking risks. I was rather surprised to see Nakamura so timorous against him at London, he would have deserved to play in current candidates tournaments, tournament in which Nakamura gets his ass kicked from all sides at the moment.

Enough with the chit-chat, do we play a game or not?

Return to “Campfire”