Lord of The Rings

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 01 May 2006, 03:03

DaemianLucifer wrote:As far as I remember the dwarven rings were all either destroyed or lost.Where did you find those four?
I meant that I could only account for four. These were the ones destroyed. The question is what became of those taken by Sauron.

I'm afraid I no longer have my notes. Many years ago I had a D&D campaign set in Middle Earth after the completion of the War of the Ring and spent some time researching what characters and artifacts might still have been around. Since I knew the players would want to have rings involved, I dug pretty hard. For the purpose of the game, I had three of the seven surviving, each in a different dungeon. And (perhaps blasphemously) I had Gandalf secretly handing off Narya to Samwise at Gray Havens. The nine lay scattered where the ringwraiths fell. The Mouth of Sauron was the big bad.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 May 2006, 04:38

Caradoc wrote:I'm afraid I no longer have my notes. Many years ago I had a D&D campaign set in Middle Earth after the completion of the War of the Ring and spent some time researching what characters and artifacts might still have been around. Since I knew the players would want to have rings involved, I dug pretty hard. For the purpose of the game, I had three of the seven surviving, each in a different dungeon. And (perhaps blasphemously) I had Gandalf secretly handing off Narya to Samwise at Gray Havens. The nine lay scattered where the ringwraiths fell. The Mouth of Sauron was the big bad.
Why D&D campaign when you have a much better system designed specially for middle earth?Also,wasnt the pover of those 19 rigns tied with the one?

Well,those three taken by sauron were probably locked in a safe somwhere :devil:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 May 2006, 07:35

DaemianLucifer wrote:Also,wasnt the pover of those 19 rigns tied with the one?
It was, but they they would only lose it over time, not right away. So those taken by Sauron were probably somewhere in Moria, slowly loosing their powers.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 01 May 2006, 08:47

ThunderTitan wrote: It was, but they they would only lose it over time, not right away. So those taken by Sauron were probably somewhere in Moria, slowly loosing their powers.
Why Moria? Granted, it was infested by Orcs, but I think he'd wanted them somewhere closer at hand...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 01 May 2006, 10:05

Metathron wrote:We were not even talking about the Music of the Ainur.
ThunderTitan wrote:No I was refering to the Songs Luthien uses to get into Morgoth's domain. And the Music of the Ainur.
Metathron wrote:Alright. What are spells/songs of power if not magic?

To me, this means that you were.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 May 2006, 11:56

Gaidal Cain wrote: Why Moria? Granted, it was infested by Orcs, but I think he'd wanted them somewhere closer at hand...
Ups... I meant Mordor, and actualy realized that when Orfinn mentioned Moria in the Dwarven Town thread...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 03 May 2006, 04:34

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Why D&D campaign when you have a much better system designed specially for middle earth?Also,wasnt the pover of those 19 rigns tied with the one?

Well,those three taken by sauron were probably locked in a safe somwhere :devil:
This was in, ahem, the early '80s. There was no LOTR system available at the time. I made substantial changes to the magic system, but went with the D&D character classes. There's a nice little book called Journeys of Frodo that provided most of the maps.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 May 2006, 08:40

Caradoc wrote:This was in, ahem, the early '80s. There was no LOTR system available at the time. I made substantial changes to the magic system, but went with the D&D character classes. There's a nice little book called Journeys of Frodo that provided most of the maps.
I think merp was made before that.Im not sure though.Ill have to check my book.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 03 May 2006, 09:52

If you mean the date when the LOTR books were published, that was back in the mid-fifties.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 May 2006, 15:08

No I meant The Middle Eartp Role Playing system.

Szaman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Szaman » 05 May 2006, 04:53

The whole discussion - feels like home... :)
I think of LOTR as the best book I've ever read.....
The film was ok, but far from what I would expect after reading the book..
That is actually what influenced me a lot in my high school years in Poland - at the same time - I read LOTR, started playing Homm, and listening to "good" music (old rock)...
Now in US, those are mostly good memories from the past...:(

.... and about the 7 dwarven rings - this was the thing that I always thought about, since even though they weren't as strong as the 3 elvish or The One, but..... imagine, the existence of those rings might start the whole new story - some time in future a group of dwarves find the rings and it all starts again...:)
"...siedem dla wladcow krasnali w ich kamiennych palacach.."
"...seven for the dwarve lords in their halls of stone..."

Return to “Campfire”