Sharpshooter Bow/Longseeker in Real Life

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Sharpshooter Bow/Longseeker in Real Life

Unread postby Xfing » 06 Jul 2013, 18:16

There's plenty of bow manufacturers in the world, many of whom make custom bows to clients' specifications. Do you think the bow design seen from Gelu's bows or Longseeker in MM8 would be an effective design in real life? I know for one thing that it looks amazing and certainly would like to one day possess such a fine weapon.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 06 Jul 2013, 19:19

It depends on the materials - it does seem overly ornate, but if it's some kind of compund bow then it could be very effective.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 06 Jul 2013, 20:37

Gelu's bow is bit more fancy due to various ornamentation like "fangs" near center and string but overall, considering that material is lightweight and durable enough it should be effective as any other compound bow.

This one on ebay, perhaps is somewhat similar in terms of general design. Well Gelu one (at least in some screen shots) have hollow middle on ends but other than that general design is more or less same

Guess if really wish you could get bow for couple hundred dollars. And dish out some hundred more to make it more fancy.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 07 Jul 2013, 12:38

If it were to look like this version
http://heroes.ag.ru/news/i/h3ol-gelu.jpg

<imo>It would need to be a long-bow (recurve)and made from the perfect piece of wood.

Taking from an old walking-stick method; I don't remember what the Welsh made theirs from (yew?) but it might be possible to find a branch with some of those "additions" i.e. cutting off at smaller branch intersections. More than likely though, the thorny look would need to be add-on pieces of crafted wood; maybe pegged, if done right. As long as the added parts took no real pressure and caused no flexing problems, it should work.

Check out entarga wood-working, it is one of my favorite forms of wood art- and might be used here. In-lays and grain patterns could also give the bow unique beauty.

some thoughts, Cheers

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 09 Jul 2013, 22:50

Yes, it could work as far as being able to shoot out arrows is concerned. However, those big fangs would definitely be in the way in a battle situation. Certainly, Gelu would not be able to shoot from horseback.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 13 Feb 2014, 18:20

Necrobumping a 4 year old thread for relevance.

Just to remind you:

The bow looks like this when viewed from the side.

It seems the same design of the bow was wielded by Skeleton Archers in MM8, and you can view it here from all angles.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/resour ... /43051.png

It can be seen that the lower bowstaff is actually five separate staves, while the upper one is constituted by two, which are connected towards the end, and the pulleys are installed in between the outermost staves. The midsection of the bow is clearly made of metal and probably doesn't flex at all while the bow is pulled.

I was also wondering about one thing: seeing as most modern compound bows are rather short, would equipping such a long bow with pulleys be efficient as far as energy input and arrow velocity is concerned?

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 28 Feb 2014, 14:15

Xfing wrote:
It can be seen that the lower bowstaff is actually five separate staves, while the upper one is constituted by two, which are connected towards the end, and the pulleys are installed in between the outermost staves. The midsection of the bow is clearly made of metal and probably doesn't flex at all while the bow is pulled.

I was also wondering about one thing: seeing as most modern compound bows are rather short, would equipping such a long bow with pulleys be efficient as far as energy input and arrow velocity is concerned?
Yeah that's a compound bow. For some reason I thought you had wanted a Gelu bow which is a longbow. Really, though I doubt Gelu's would have worked since <imo> the center-design would suck away power, since it would break the curve. As I heard explained one time by a bow-expert; the true long bow had to be as tall as a man to generate the power that was needed to pierce armor. Even the yew's grain had to face correctly.

Since you're looking at compounds, you probably could make "your" version. Seems an artist must have approached the bow logically? As I said, in Gelu's version that reverse would work against the draw power of the bow but with a compound, that wouldn't matter.

I think you would still need the length for the very strong draws. When I had my bow I bought one for my little son and his was much shorter for the pull *maybe 20 lbs. Where mine could go to 150- iiirc.

Look on u-tube, I've seen that expert on a few Docs about warfare and weapons.

Return to “Campfire”