Why is this community so quiet?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Greengnots
Pixie
Pixie

Why is this community so quiet?

Unread postby Greengnots » 14 Dec 2012, 21:59

There's barely any posting around here, can't this place be more lively :) not the barely any posters on three-quarters of the time :( .
Quantam physics don't change everything.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 14 Dec 2012, 23:32

Unfortunately there is just a lack of exciting news on the game front. When UBI gives us some excitement then things should pick up.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Dec 2012, 23:34

It's difficult to point to a single reason, but mostly, the community is quiet these days because the two latest games have been somewhat unsuccessful. There was a bigger crowd here a few years ago, since H3 and H4 had good editors, allowing for a greater degree of user participation. As most of the core members developed other interests and moved on, CH turned from a very active forum to a site focusing more on news.

That being said, I hope you (the members) keep contributing with your ideas and discussions. The community is you, and you are the ones who keep activity soaring.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 15 Dec 2012, 00:13

Another problem is likely the age of the older games this site is about, and incompatibility problems with newer versions of Windows causing less people to replay them from time to time.

I rarely play Heroes 3 anymore, because it crashes too often in Windows 7, and it's too much of a hassle to restart my computer and boot up on my Windows XP drive most of the time.

The age of the games means less people make maps for them to, especially with windows problems making it unplayable for more people.

Might and Magic 6 & 7 etc can still be somewhat fun, but I've been finding it extremely difficult the last few years to actually play from start to finish till I get bored of it. Might and Magic 7 I get bored of by the time I chose my path, and 6 I often get bored of by the time I'm at level 30.

Heroes 4 I never really got into.

Heroes 5 is still pretty good, though the campaigns went way downhill in the expansions.

Heroes 6 got so many bad reviews, especially about problems with the DRM and UPlay that I never even installed it, maybe some day I'll get bored enough to try it.

And then the mods for the older games have been a lot less frequent lately, so there's again less replay value for them.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 15 Dec 2012, 11:59

Kalah wrote:It's difficult to point to a single reason, but mostly, the community is quiet these days because the two latest games have been somewhat unsuccessful. There was a bigger crowd here a few years ago, since H3 and H4 had good editors, allowing for a greater degree of user participation. As most of the core members developed other interests and moved on, CH turned from a very active forum to a site focusing more on news.

That being said, I hope you (the members) keep contributing with your ideas and discussions. The community is you, and you are the ones who keep activity soaring.
It's sort of why I came back. Me re-interest of the series. The community here is great!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Greengnots
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Greengnots » 15 Dec 2012, 12:49

Can't we invite other people from other forums that are similar to this forum?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Dec 2012, 14:14

Nah, that's not really polite. Besides, they know we're here and they're free to join if they want to. Some of them have and are active on both forums.

Besides the official forum, there are only really two M&M forums. The heroes community and this one. There's a bit of rivalry going on, of course. They have a more active forum but only for the newed Heroes games. We're more active in Might & Magic discussions - we also have the only news page in English.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Bones_xa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bones_xa » 15 Dec 2012, 18:22

I find it neat that this forum is even active at all considering most of the topics are on games from up to around 20 years ago.
The new mm heroes 6 is basically just an attempt to milk something great and just another product to sell and thus it is not as genuine and thats why it is not as successful, in my opinion. Also it wasn't even made by the original designers.

I'm here because basically I'm not impressed with the new games of today or at least I have not gotten into them. When I was younger I never played the might and magic games when they came out. Only in the last couple years is when I actually tried them out and got hooked so they are still relatively new to me.
Perhaps I am living in the past.

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 15 Dec 2012, 18:55

Bones_xa wrote:I'm here because basically I'm not impressed with the new games of today or at least I have not gotten into them. When I was younger I never played the might and magic games when they came out. Only in the last couple years is when I actually tried them out and got hooked so they are still relatively new to me.
Perhaps I am living in the past.
I feel the same way about games lately.

When I was growing up I used to have a Sega Genesis I played a lot, and a Super Nintendo to, then I was still playing them even after the new game systems came out. The last game system I bought was a Sega Dreamcast. All the games I play now are on PC's.

Even PC games just don't seem to be as good lately. So many games that were pretty decent in the past have disappointed me when sequels came out. It seems the makers just decide "We need to spend all our time on REALLY good looking graphics, gameplay is secondary".

I mean take Lords of the Realm series, the first and second ones were awesome, I used to still replay them from time to time, but now they don't run anymore on newer versions of windows. When Lords of the Realm 3 came out over 10 years after Lords of the Realm 2 I thought it would be an awesome game, but quickly found out 1) they spent tons of time on graphics and not much else in the game, 2) they made so many serious changes to the game that it wasn't really a true a turn based strategy game anymore like the original, it was more like a real time strategy game, but one where there's too much going on for you manage it by yourself.

I think another reason I don't play many new games lately is that a majority of the new games I see in stores are one of three things.
1) A first person shooter type action game. (So many of those games these days can make you dizzy after a while of playing them. And they're all just variations of the same thing, run around with the weapons available in that game shooting people and avoid getting killed. Oh, and some have multi-player versions of that against people)

2) An online game that you have to pay a monthly subscription to keep playing, even after forking over $20 or more just to buy the game in a store. I want a game that I can play for a few months, then get bored of, then come back a year later able to pick right up where I left off. Can't do that with online games with monthly fees.

3) Some kind of a puzzle game (like Portal, some people I work with love that game, not me, puzzle games are fun at first, till you get stuck, or have to time 3 things in a row just right within half a second, then you just get pissed off when you fail)

All of which aren't the kind of game I usually enjoy. I enjoy games that involve strategy.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 15 Dec 2012, 19:05

Memory, memory..

:D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Bones_xa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bones_xa » 15 Dec 2012, 19:10

Yes I hear you ShadowLiberal, and agree.

Also: I was just reading somewhere else where a person said that the newer Heroes of MM like 5 & 6 were made for kids. I think that is definitely true too. Also with a lot of the newer games of today; they seem to be made for kids, or at least not for people that are intellectuals.

When MM3 came out I was playing snes at the time, because I was in that age. But I never actually got into it. I think I remember trying it once briefly but didn't know what the heck to do and didn't happen to give it time.
Now that I am older however, I really appreciate it so much more and for the game it was at its time.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Dec 2012, 19:47

@Pol the dates of the posts indicate 2005, hard to believe it has been that long.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Dec 2012, 21:10

Indeed ... you can see the move thread here. :)

Greengnots
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Greengnots » 15 Dec 2012, 23:57

Too bad this community is so quiet nowadays

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Dec 2012, 02:07

Because DL got banned, Sandy got wiped and i got tired of talking to myself (eventually).
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 16 Dec 2012, 02:25

Free DL !
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 16 Dec 2012, 10:41

Free DLC? :yes:

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 16 Dec 2012, 13:49

DL, who?

Neidhaart
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Neidhaart » 16 Dec 2012, 14:21

What?
"I did put the fires out."
"You made them worse!"
"Worse?!... Or better?"

Greengnots
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Greengnots » 16 Dec 2012, 14:33

Who's DL?

Return to “Campfire”