The Absence Thread II

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Jul 2012, 19:53

Gaidal Cain wrote:And there is six included publications.
Show off.

EDIT: Also, why does it say Doctor of Philosophy? Well at least now i know where the Ph. comes from...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Jul 2012, 20:46

Dr. philos (Ph.D) is one of the four doctorates in the classic university disciplines. The others are Dr. theol. (theology), Dr. juris (law) og Dr. med. (medicine). So even physics, chemistry and the like are fitted into the "philosophical" degree.

You do it that way in Sweden too, I presume, GC?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 27 Jul 2012, 06:49

Not really. I'm actually a "Doctor of technology", but that title doesn't really exist in English, so it's translated to PhD.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 30 Jul 2012, 22:13

I'm back. Turned the blueberries into the tasty jam and will try to address the wiki transfer in these hot and busy times. :-D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Aug 2012, 19:53

Gaidal Cain wrote:Not really. I'm actually a "Doctor of technology", but that title doesn't really exist in English, so it's translated to PhD.
So your people at least do use common sense...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 Sep 2012, 21:49

Really busy these days ... not much time to pop by ...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 13 Sep 2012, 23:25

Split the topic, as it was over 140 pages long already...
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 14 Sep 2012, 13:51

140 pages of discussion about being away?

We should have a presence thread then.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 14 Sep 2012, 18:31

It is more hot to be absent than to be present.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 15 Sep 2012, 04:40

My greatest contribution to the board, damned now to languish in obscurity 'til the end of time! O curse thee, Qqd! Thou hath torn heart from breast and stamped thy foot upon it 'til it is but thin red gruel upon the trodden earth! :(
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 18 Sep 2012, 15:22

Corribus wrote:My greatest contribution to the board, damned now to languish in obscurity 'til the end of time! O curse thee, Qqd! Thou hath torn heart from breast and stamped thy foot upon it 'til it is but thin red gruel upon the trodden earth! :(
For some reason, I think you have contributed more than this. Can't quite think of what now... :devil:

And the thread did go almost 50% longer than they normally do before being replaced.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Sep 2012, 14:16

Angelspit wrote:140 pages of discussion about being away?

We should have a presence thread then.
:lolu:

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 01 Oct 2012, 17:06

Have I been absent long enough to post here?

I guess so, as my login on the main site seems to have expired. I really appreciated Kalah's post mortem on Heroes VI. I feel just about the same with an extra helping of disappointment with the editor.

I just hit my 64th birthday and though I'm still a year from Medicare, I'm getting Social Security and can pretty much retire from the working life. I just built a new house in the Texas Hill Country. Now I've got all the time for games, so I really wish there was a good one. I'm going to load the Heroes6 patch 1.7 and give it one more shot. Just got the Civ V Gods+Kings expansion, so that's another possibility.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 01 Oct 2012, 18:47

Caradoc it's nice to see you. ;)

And yes, H6 is not exactly a success. Like if Ubi si trying to learn people that they should live real lives and also something about trust. Yeah, big lessons are important and don't come up cheap.

Good games, hmm.

Played World of Goo yesterday and planning to try Vessel and Osmos. All from humblebundle.com Not just this one though. :devious:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 01 Oct 2012, 19:36

Hey, it's Caradoc - long time no see. :)
Good to hear you'll have time for games. Make some maps for us, won't you. ;)

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 01 Oct 2012, 23:05

Mr. Watkins, been ages! How you been? Ever give WoG a try??
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 11 Oct 2012, 15:11

Mr Duncan, good to see you're still here. I assume you eventually got your degree and moved out into the professional world. Physical chemistry, wasn't it?

If you recall, we once had an argument over the war in Afghanistan. I opposed it from the start, while you thought the government knew better. You even went so far as to question my patriotism. I wonder whether you still feel that way.

I did enjoy WoG (and Equilibris). Simpler software with better results than what we get now.

Cheers!
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 18 Oct 2012, 01:02

Wow, all that time slips by and you're still nursing that wound. ;)

Yeah, so, I suppose my views have matured but we'll leave it at that. Satisfied? :D

Did get my degree (geez, what is it, almost seven years now?). Still trying to figure out what I really want to do with it, lol. Also have a wife and kid. That cuts down on gaming time, but the ends certainly justify the means on that score.

Anyway, hope to see you stopping in once in a while. Cheers.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 19 Oct 2012, 19:56

Gaming with kids is another way to embrace the hobby and spend time with our young ones. But instead of the likes of Arkham City or Civilization, we end up with Once Upon a Monster or Lego Harry Potter. But hey, it's good fun anyway!
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Oct 2012, 22:35

Or Worms - a truly excellent way of spending an evening with your nieces. :D

Return to “Campfire”