Anyone still alive?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Anyone still alive?

Unread postby Veldrynus » 22 Jun 2012, 23:05

What happened here? I remember, this place used to be fun and full of life. Did Ubisoft really kill the HOMM gaming community, or is there another explanation for this lack of activity?

I miss the good old days...
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 23 Jun 2012, 03:44

Like 6 months ago I was playing a lot of Heroes of Might and Magic 5. Then I got bored of it for a while and went to other games like Starcraft 2, and Baldur's Gate 2.

Now I'm playing Might and Magic 6 again, so I'm posting more again then I was months ago.

Probably the same thing for a lot of people here, somewhat.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Anyone still alive?

Unread postby Ethric » 23 Jun 2012, 10:40

Veldrynus wrote:What happened here? I remember, this place used to be fun and full of life. Did Ubisoft really kill the HOMM gaming community, or is there another explanation for this lack of activity?
Probably option one.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Jun 2012, 10:41

Even I have stopped playing H6 ... The reason is that I find the campaigns quite boring.

The biggest problem with the Community's activity at the moment is the lack of new maps being produced. We are hoping that the editor will be improved so much that fans will start to put their own mark on maps, compensating for shortcomings of the game.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 23 Jun 2012, 11:01

On the maps the problem is disproportional AI. Either it's too easy or too hard (which in this exact case is meaning that AI is cheating too much). Campaigns itself cannot bear the game.

The maps, as Tree of Pleanty, are replayable but the challenge is uncertain so the feeling of re/playing is low.

The mp lobby is also almost empty.

Balance patch(es!) is what it will be and what is needed after that game will be probably good. (That's also counts in the map editor issue, AI fix, modding - custom mods.)

They screwed the launch, they are like Microsoft. Irresponsible. But far from being lost.

@Vel
So option one. :devious:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 23 Jun 2012, 15:10

I'm playing through HC:ROTB, and, well, there isn't much to talk about these days, really.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 23 Jun 2012, 16:06

Kalah wrote:The biggest problem with the Community's activity at the moment is the lack of new maps being produced. We are hoping that the editor will be improved so much that fans will start to put their own mark on maps, compensating for shortcomings of the game.
UBI failed to produce an editor with both H-5 and 6 that many of us could use. When you consider it was 2003 that NWC released its H-IV editor; it has been a long time to expect people to stay interested. Even equilibris is several years old with no release date in sight for the long awaited version 3.6. So option 1; the last Heroes product I bought was the basic H-5, my daughters bought me HOF, but I have not been able to bring myself to buy any product since then except H-III/IV complete.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Jun 2012, 17:55

I think the problem with the editors of H5 and 6 is mostly that it's trying to be too advanced. Who needs 3D in an editor? Nobody! It's an editor - what you need is a simple system enabling you to place objects, edit terrain and create scripts. It doesn't have to look fancy until you activate the game ...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 23 Jun 2012, 18:36

Kalah wrote:I think the problem with the editors of H5 and 6 is mostly that it's trying to be too advanced. Who needs 3D in an editor? Nobody! It's an editor - what you need is a simple system enabling you to place objects, edit terrain and create scripts. It doesn't have to look fancy until you activate the game ...
You're right, not everyone needs a campaign editor; the lack of the many fine mapmakers who were productive with the H-IV editor speaks to what you say. Make it easy to use and more people new and old will try.

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 23 Jun 2012, 19:45

Kalah wrote:I think the problem with the editors of H5 and 6 is mostly that it's trying to be too advanced. Who needs 3D in an editor? Nobody! It's an editor - what you need is a simple system enabling you to place objects, edit terrain and create scripts. It doesn't have to look fancy until you activate the game ...
I think that's part of the problem right there with building a map editor. It gets MUCH more complicated when you have better more 3D or 3D like graphics.

Back in the Warcraft 2 and Starcraft 1 days map editors were simple, because the game was simple. I made lots of custom maps for myself (though I admit they weren't very good compared to what other maps you could download online, nor did I ever make anything worth uploading online for others to play).

When you have stuff like hills, etc, the maps get much more complicated to build, unless you want a boring totally flat map. The 3D graphics also make it harder to tell where you can and can't access a bunch of the random buildings/etc on the map.

The one time I looked at the Heroes 5 editor I was like "this is just too complicated" after a few minutes and gave up on it.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 02 Jul 2012, 12:09

He only give one option anyway :-D

But yes, seems u can't get that lively gaming community if u keep changing the game itself what with patches for every little bit of things while completely letting go the true attractions of such game (obviously editor). It's a wonder if they actually tested the editor as much as they tested the game :D

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 02 Jul 2012, 14:20

ShadowLiberal wrote:When you have stuff like hills, etc, the maps get much more complicated to build, unless you want a boring totally flat map. The 3D graphics also make it harder to tell where you can and can't access a bunch of the random buildings/etc on the map.

The one time I looked at the Heroes 5 editor I was like "this is just too complicated" after a few minutes and gave up on it.
I have a thread long buried in the Mapmaking Guild http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... highlight= where I mentioned trying to construct a bridge across a river but when I looked at the side view it appeared like disconnected steps. I gave up shortly after that and never went back. The point being why is a simple task like that need to be hard. Why must commands require line item editing. NWC managed all of that with menu driven screens; now almost 10 years later UBI can't figure that important point out. Or more disturbing they don't care because that will now cost a fair amount of money at this late date.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Anyone still alive?

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jul 2012, 17:34

Veldrynus wrote: or is there another explanation for this lack of activity?
I got bored...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Campfire”