HoMM Similar Games & HoMM Total Conversion Mods List

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Blake
Assassin
Assassin

HoMM Similar Games & HoMM Total Conversion Mods List

Unread postby Blake » 27 May 2012, 16:58

Greetings fellow heroes, been a while since I last dropped by! :)

I've been working on and off on a Heroes of Might & Magic section on my retro website over the last year containing information, pictures, videos and tips for the games. I've also been looking to expand it to list games similar to, copied from, or influenced by HoMM. Plus I quite like collecting and playing any games similar to HoMM so I'm interested to know if there's any out there that I don't already know about! I'm also including any browser based HoMM clones too.
2015 Update: I've also added some of the great HoMM total conversion/sequel fan projects out there (alive or dead) to make sure that they are never forgotten and can inspire other talented fans to create new HoMM related projects in the future. There are a gazillion mods & maps out there for HoMM games so I'm more interested in just tributing the big total conversion projects that expand the original game.

This is my latest summary of the website list below.

http://blakessanctum.x10.mx/Games/HOMMSeries/
(Note: Originally built in 2001 this website is still deliberately very late 90s early 2000s retro in design. So if you’re not nostalgic for old retro websites with music, animating gifs & left click browsing then you probably won’t like it)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HoMM Similar Games & TC Mods list (Updated 2/01/2017) :
HoMM Games
HoMM1-7 Series
HoMM1 & 2 - Game Boy Colour
Heroes Chronicles Series - The Curse of Immortality
HoMM Quest for the Dragon Bone Staff - Playstation 2
Might & Magic: Heroes Kingdoms
Might & Magic: Heroes Online

Very Similar
Kings Bounty Series
Age of Wonders Series
Heroes of Gaia
Palm Kingdoms Series (Formerly Palm Heroes)
Royal Bounty HD
Spaceforce: Captains
Disciples Series
Lords of Magic - Special Edition

Similar
Chaos Reborn
Eador Series
Hammer of the Gods
Etherlords Series
Warlords Series
Master of Magic

Sort of Similar
Gemfire
Last Days of Old Earth
Dominions Series
Conquest of Elysium Series
Celtic Tales - Balor of the Evil Eye
Heroes of Annihilated Empires

Fan Games & Large Scale Total Conversion Mods
HoMM5 - Legends of the Ancients TC Mod
Heroes Land - Online Multiplayer HoMM3
HoMM3.5 - In the Wake of Gods TC Mod
HoMM4 – Equilibris TC Mod
VCMI - HoMM3 Engine Rebuild
HoMM3 - Horn of The Abyss TC Mod
HoMM3 - Era 2 TC Mod
HoMM3 - The Succession Wars TC Mod
HoMM5 - Might & Magic: Heroes 5.5 TC Mod
HoMM3 - Legend of the Red Dragon TC Mod
HoMM3 - Master of Puppets TC Mod
HoMM3 - Hero of Light TC Mod
HoMM3 - Stargate Atlantis TC Mod
HoMM3 - Mythology TC Mod

If you know of a game series I've missed that's very similar to HoMM, a fan game based on HoMM, or a large scale mod project that attempts to expand one of the HoMM games please let me know! :)
Last edited by Blake on 18 Aug 2017, 08:01, edited 16 times in total.
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 05 Jun 2012, 05:20

Some people also like Magic : the Gathering games.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 05 Jun 2012, 07:43

Could add both Etherlords. E1 strategic map was quite similar to Homm.(though more sluggish since hero could only do 1 action per turn). Combat was more of a primitive version of MTG, with way less restrictions that made many combinations extremely OP.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 05 Jun 2012, 12:59

They should be mentined:
Elemental War of Magic & Master of Magic.

Especially the second one is a legendary. :P
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 08 Jun 2012, 12:13

Also you may mention: Heroes of Annihilated Empires ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 14 Jun 2012, 11:43

Thanks guys! :)

Wow despite the fact I knew of Nivals Etherlords series I'd never actually seen them. I didn't know how similar they are in style to Heroes.

Never heard of Heroes of Annihilated Empires before! I just played some videos of it and I can see how despite being an RTS game it sort of uses the global map, cities and hero with armies style gameplay of HoMM.

Have put them in the list above to include on my website and will have to try them out sometime! :)
Last edited by Blake on 13 Aug 2015, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 18 Jun 2012, 08:57

An archaic game called Gemfire also looks somewhat like this.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 09 Jul 2012, 03:18

Ohh yes thankyou I just looked Gemfire up, very DOS Kings Bounty like heh.

I see its an old KOEI game. I love their old games like 'Romance of Three Kingdoms' and 'Gengis Khan'. You may of noticed I list one of their last big PC games 'Celtic Tales - Balor of the Evil Eye' above. By far the most graphically impressive KOEI stratgey game made back in the day and with the addition of spells and mythical heroes it reminds me of HoMM in some ways.

Have also put another game in the list called 'Heroes Land' that was posted over at Age of Heroes. It appears to be a perfect russian rip of HoMM 3 in a browser! You can check it out here as well as a battle replay here.
And now a up and comming game called 'Eador - Masters of the Broken World' that looks a cross between HoMM Civ and MoM! Preview of the game here

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 09 Jul 2012, 09:02

He he he... the difference is that in Celtic it's the heroes who fights each others. So Gemfire just like Heroes 1 - 3 while Celtic like Heroes 4.

Like old KOEI DOS game ? I'd recommend u try Uncharted Waters 1 & 2.

There's also an older game by SSI called Stronghold (not to be confused with the newer game with same name). This was based on AD&D environment.

U might also try Dark Legions. Not so much like Heroes (actually there's no heroes involved) but worth a try.

Another game which came was Fantasy General, basically Panzer General rip-off, change the units into fantasy ones.
Last edited by BoardGuest808888 on 09 Jul 2012, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.

Dave_Jame
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dave_Jame » 09 Jul 2012, 09:05

Apart from PC games, Did anybody had to chance to try the last mage knight boardgame by Vlada Chvatil? Many people say it has a strong Heroes feeling.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Re: HoMM Similar Games & HoMM Total Conversion Mods List

Unread postby Blake » 13 Aug 2015, 07:51

Thanks guys, I'll look into those games! :)

I've updated my list (in the first post) and website with more similar games. I've also added some of the great HoMM total conversion/sequel fan projects out there (alive or dead) to make sure that they are never forgotten and can inspire other talented fans to create new HoMM related projects in the future. There are a gazillion mods & maps out there for HoMM games so I'm more interested in just tributing the big total conversion projects that expand the original game.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changes 13/08/2015:
Similar Games added
Palm Kingdoms Series
Gemfire
Etherlords Series

New 'Other HoMM Games' section added
HoMM1 & 2 - Game Boy Colour
Heroes Chronicles Series - The Curse of Immortality
HoMM Quest for the Dragon Bone Staff - Playstation 2
Might & Magic: Heroes Kingdoms
Might & Magic: Heroes Online

New 'Fan Games & Total Conversion Mods' section added
HoMM5 - Legends of the Ancients Mod
Heroes Land
HoMM3 - In the Wake of Gods Mod
HoMM4 – Equilibris Mod
HoMM3 – VCMI Mod
HoMM3 - Horn of The Abyss Mod
HoMM3 - Era 2 Mod
HoMM3 - The Succession Wars Mod

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 02 Jan 2017, 06:33

Happy new year guys! :) It's been a while but I've been working on my site and have made the following additions to the HoMM related games list.

New HoMM related projects added:
Last Days of Old Earth – New game similar to HoMM & MoM
Dominions Series – Great retro looking series similar to HoMM & MoM
Conquest of Elysium Series – Retro looking series (created by Dominions team) similar to HoMM & MoM
Royal Bounty HD – King’s Bounty remake by Palm Kingdoms Team
SpaceForce: Captains – Pretty much exactly like HoMM but in space!
Chaos Reborn – Game similar to HoMM & King’s Bounty
Might & Magic: Heroes 5.5 – Fan made Heroes 5 Total Conversion Addon adding so much to the game!
HoMM3: Legend of the Red Dragon – Fan made Heroes 3 TC Addon with new races & graphics
HoMM3: Master of Puppets – Fan made Heroes 3 TC Addon with new races & graphics
HoMM3: Hero of Light – Fan made Heroes 3 WoG+Era TC Addon with new races & graphics
HoMM3: Stargate Atlantis – Fan made Heroes 3 Era2 total conversion stargate adventure!
HoMM3: Mythology Mod – Fan made Heroes 3 TC Addon with new races & graphics

Changes made to existing HoMM content:
General – Contents menu added.
General – All back buttons changed to utilise HTML bookmarks. Now users don’t have to re-scroll down the entire page constantly! :)
General – Fixed some missing slashes in code.
General – Added more Good Old Games & Steam buy links.

As always, let me know if something is missing. :)
Last edited by Blake on 02 Jan 2017, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 12 Feb 2019, 18:11

I've just recently been playing around with the PlayStation 1 emulator and discovered 2 more products by 3DO that fall along the lines of this topic. Namely: Warriors of Might & Magic, and Crusaders of Might & Magic. I just started them up, never played around with them or anything.

Also, and I don't know if anyone included it here, ModHomm for H3. This site was around before WoG was created. I used to go to this site daily when it came out. Loved the animated trees for the game as it was state of the art at the time.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 15 Feb 2019, 23:18

I found Warriors of Might and Magic to be somewhat hard to control.. had to give up on that just a few levels in..

You should also add NimoStars Greatest Mod to HoMM4 to the list..
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 24 Feb 2019, 08:50

ByteBandit wrote:I've just recently been playing around with the PlayStation 1 emulator and discovered 2 more products by 3DO that fall along the lines of this topic. Namely: Warriors of Might & Magic, and Crusaders of Might & Magic. I just started them up, never played around with them or anything.

Also, and I don't know if anyone included it here, ModHomm for H3. This site was around before WoG was created. I used to go to this site daily when it came out. Loved the animated trees for the game as it was state of the art at the time.
Karmakeld wrote:I found Warriors of Might and Magic to be somewhat hard to control.. had to give up on that just a few levels in..

Sorry guys I'm a bit behind with updating this list and my website list with all the new suggestions from various forums and my own finds. Will hopefully do a proper update soon! :)

Just found this amazing HoMM Civ3 project too!

I didn't really consider adding Warrior and crusaders as they are 3rd person action rpg games closer in relation to the original Might & Magic series then they are to HoMM gameplay wise. I figured I'd stick them in a future Might & Magic RPG series tribute page separate from this HoMM one.

Hmm I've never heard of ModHomm for H3. Is this their website? Hard to tell what it does as I can't find a general description or screenshots page. They made HoMM3's trees move??????? wow!!

Sorry @Karmakeld when you suggested NimoStars H4 mod over at Heroes Community I added it to my HoMM List future tributes word doc so I promise I haven't forgotten it. Just haven't got to updating the site and lists yet haha.
Last edited by Blake on 24 Feb 2019, 09:11, edited 4 times in total.

shelldon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby shelldon » 05 Jul 2019, 07:05

Karmakeld wrote:I found Warriors of Might and Magic to be somewhat hard to control fafafa free slots.. had to give up on that just a few levels in..

Looking forward to it!
Last edited by shelldon on 11 Jul 2019, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Campfire”