A most joyful family event

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

A most joyful family event

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 15 May 2012, 13:30

Greetings Everyone!

The time has come for me to share the big news from my personal life with you, my dear fellow Heroes fans and members of the great CH community.

My wife (CH member Tiare) is pregnant with our much awaited first-born, and she is due to give birth in mid-August. The funny thing is that years ago (that means as early as 2003 or so) I had the habit of always answering my too-eager-to-know relatives' questions about the subject ("When will you and your mrs. finally tell us you're having a baby?") with the following line "In the year 2012 when yours truly will have reached the ripe age of 30, and shall finally be mature enough to father a child...", and little did I know that I was telling the truth! I'm such a soothsayer!!

I'm still trying to make the best of out of my new found situation of becoming a father. I guess this is the "about right time" for me to finally "grow up" and start living a life of that of a responsible family man.
Oh well, I'll keep on making Heroes III maps for that is the one "vice" I'm not willing to give up that easily. ;)

With lots of love and solidarity,

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 May 2012, 14:18

:-D Congrats!
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 15 May 2012, 15:00

Congrats :)

I have several questions to ask you as a future father ...

What if your wife gives birth to twins? Triplets? Will it blow a hole in your budget? What if your children are born with genetic defects that cannot be cured? What if your children are normal, but grow up to become terrorists? What will you do as a parent?
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 15 May 2012, 15:37

Banedon wrote:What if your wife gives birth to twins? Triplets? Will it blow a hole in your budget? What if your children are born with genetic defects that cannot be cured? What if your children are normal, but grow up to become terrorists? What will you do as a parent?
Err... what kind of question is that?

Anyway, congrats Yurian!
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 15 May 2012, 19:35

Freaky and inapropriate questions, is what it is.

Congratulations to the father-to-be.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: A most joyful family event

Unread postby Kristo » 15 May 2012, 20:34

Yurian Stonebow wrote:My wife (CH member Tiare) is pregnant with our much awaited first-born, and she is due to give birth in mid-August.
I'll raise a Yurian-sized pint to that. Congrats!
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 16 May 2012, 01:02

Welcome to the club man. Like the rest of us walking corpses, you officially have no life of your own. ;)
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 16 May 2012, 10:03

As I told you in a pm already: it's an event greater than the Olympic Games in London, that start in August. You and your familiy earn the first and most precious medals!!! :D

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 16 May 2012, 10:44

Congratulations!
I hope you have a wonderful time ahead of you.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 16 May 2012, 11:14

Ethric wrote:Freaky and inapropriate questions, is what it is.
Hey it's a serious question 8| 8|
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 16 May 2012, 12:21

But that's not what's in the mind of a soon-to-be-dad.

And for the love of God, make sure you don't ask such questions to a new mom in person. You'll regret that decision very quickly.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Thanks everyone!

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 16 May 2012, 16:17

A heartful Thank you to everyone! I do feel quite an old geezer already -
shouldn't one become a father before the year that sees him turning 30?
Oh my, looking back it seems that I've really done my part of "living it to the max" during my soon-to-be-gone-forever 20's! Time to start acting my age and gathering some dust real fast. Or maybe not... ;) Luckily it seems that I'm not the only family man here in the forums who enjoys playing Heroes and making maps for the many games in the series. Thanks for your encouraging words and the support you've shown.

@Banedon: I do not quite know how to take you asking me all these odd questions... You claim to be serious with what you say, but remembering some pages long threads about past arguments considering abortion and the like, well, it does not really increase my eagerness to discuss that particular or perhaps some related topics with you. I hope that you're satisfied with me informing you most politely that I do consider my wife and myself to be quite adaquete raising good kids on our own.

Each and every one of us has his/hers own free will and that is what shapes us human beings into growing up to become good citizens or something totally else. But rest assure that me and the mrs. will seek to do our very best as parents.

In all honesty,

Yurian

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Re: Thanks everyone!

Unread postby Angelspit » 16 May 2012, 16:44

Yurian Stonebow wrote:shouldn't one become a father before the year that sees him turning 30?
For me it was 35. My girlfriend and I first decided not to have kids, and we changed our minds (and now we have beautiful children of 4 and 2). While getting up in the middle of the night and going to work the next morning gets increasingly difficult every year, the additional maturity is definitely an asset when dealing with difficult situations. I couldn't imagine myself raising a child before the age of 30 at the very least, as I have been a teenager for way too long. Thirty is probably the ideal age for most people -- the generation gap might be less wide later on.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Old man at 30?

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 17 May 2012, 15:49

@Angelspit: My mother always used to say that the ideal age of getting married and having children is 23. That's was her big idea, anyway. By some weird twist of fate, I just so happened to marry my fiancee in the summer of '06 at the age of 23. Not because of my mother's advise, but because it seemed the right time and the right thing to do back then. I haven't regretted that decision at all. :) I do not know if my mother's ideal age to have her first grandchild is 61 but that's what is going to happen.

As for myself, I always wanted to have kids of my own before my 30th birthday. In my late teens, turning 30 seemed to me equal to being declared fit to start queuing up for one's place in the old people's golden home of retirement. This is how much the world would change in 10 years. Or to be more precise, back then it kind of felt like it. Today I share your opinion that thirty is indeed the ideal age to start a family. We already have a 50 square meter's flat to live in and share with our labby dog and two hamsters, so we still have room for a new human inhabitant.

-Yurian

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 May 2012, 20:42

Yurian congrats as well! The more the merrier, especially pays for the young ones. :angel:

Be responsible and kind-hearted parent, they need you. :gking2:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 May 2012, 18:46

Better question: how do you feel that they won't ever be able to enjoy a good heroes game that isn't older then they are? :devil:

Also, CONGRATS!!!! Have fun not sleeping.

Angelspit wrote:
Banedon wrote:What if your wife gives birth to twins? Triplets? Will it blow a hole in your budget? What if your children are born with genetic defects that cannot be cured? What if your children are normal, but grow up to become terrorists? What will you do as a parent?
Err... what kind of question is that?
He's just making sure they aren't baby terrorists... someone has to...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 18 May 2012, 18:52

@Pol: Thanks! I do want to try my best at being a good father. It really isn't something I can claim to have previous experience of, but still there's no need for me to do anything else but have faith. I know that my wife trusts in me and that's all I need. :) Thanks for your kind words my friend.

Yurian

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 18 May 2012, 18:56

@TT: Thank you for being your good ol' sarcastic but honest self. :) I will keep your "advise" in mind and recommend that they play only the NWC made Heroes of Might and Magic games and not the stuff from Soft:Ubi. ;)

Cheers!

Yurian

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 May 2012, 01:29

Oh, and don't spoil them too much, you don't want to end up with, well, me...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Any day now...

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 08 Aug 2012, 13:19

Update on the 8th of August 2012

The doctor told us after a recent medical examination that the baby will probably be born a bit early, and that it is not likely that we'll have to wait 'till Aug 14th which was the previously given estimated time of birth. It may be that my wife will give birth any day now, perhaps on this very night or the coming weekend... who knows. You can all imagine that the two of us here are now indeed living the most exciting times of our lives. And as for me, all I can describe my feelings at the moment of writing is that I've never felt quite this way before. And it's true.

-Yurian

Return to “Campfire”