Tech Corner

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: Tech Corner

Unread postby Pol » 23 Apr 2023, 09:43

mr.hackcrag wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 01:54 He said the bottom came preinstalled with fans. As for the top, he said my MB had 2 open fan headers and recommended the following for least noise, although no rbg.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/640 ... ab-reviews

The downside was that he was going to charge me an additional $20 installation fee because it was added after the original build which I find to be poor business practice.
Me too. But otherwise his proposal is a good*. These two are silent.

* Considering that instead of adding two new fans, would be better to check air ventilation in the case and optimise it. Often new coolers are not needed, just you need to change direction of some of them. So mount them oppositely. However I can't advice that afar. As I can't check air circulation in the case.

What I don't understood is, that they sell "Be Quiet" coolers but not PSU.

Could he join them to use only one connector on the MB? (Could be like $5 more).
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 23 Apr 2023, 18:37

Pol wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 09:43
What I don't understood is, that they sell "Be Quiet" coolers but not PSU.

Could he join them to use only one connector on the MB? (Could be like $5 more).
At this point he finished all the labor so I'm not going to make any more requests.

Should I have bought a Be Quiet PSU somewhere else instead? I thought perhaps wrongly it was the psu that made my computer audible at baseline.

I thought the fans on ROG Ryujin had rgb, but according to worker they do not.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 23 Apr 2023, 19:41

Leave it as it is. True is, that I really like them, they are relatively silent, sturdy and affordable. Certainly more than Seasonic with the same params. Check with "Be quiet! Pure Power 12 M - 1000W". Which is better build quality than your "Power Spec 1050W".

However as of base parameters and silence, yours is splendid. Officially is even more silent, so, from that point it's a top choice. And also because of additional ARGB support. ;)

ROG Ryujin - pump is having ARGB, to be exact.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 25 Apr 2023, 03:16

Your link for Powerspec I think is different than the one I have because the 1050W does not have rgb. Though I think other specifications are the same. In fact, I don't even think my PSU is visible in my case so wouldn't be able to see rgb.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 26 Apr 2023, 19:34

Why are my download speeds and internet connection quality so much worse on this new PC compared to my old one?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 26 Apr 2023, 21:06

And you are using wi-fi on MB or wi-fi on your adapter?

There basically can be two reasons:
#1 - Antennas, you basically want something like this:
https://www.delock.com/produkt/88410/me ... tml?g=1615
(Not necessarily this one. But detachable antenna, which can be positioned and have magnet base, stronger than 5dBi)
#2 - Drivers combined with not a full support in the chip
(But you have the old adapter and you can place it back in the case. Drivers and Windows are likely to be updated once, so it will start to work. Old adapter is anyway good for comparision.)

Also wrong frequency/protocol/security used. That would be windows/driver settings.
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 26 Apr 2023, 21:39

I'm using the exact same Wi-fi adaptor as the old PC. I updated drivers using CCleaner just now. Will experiment more if there is any difference or not.

I have new problem. After updating AMD Adrenaline driver, the integrated graphics card was disabled by windows and it doesn't update driver. Resolution is now fixed at 1024. Reinstalling to original version of AMD Adrenaline driver didn't fix it. How to fix?

https://i.postimg.cc/V6B05dB9/Untitled.jpg

Finally, I used OPENRGB that you linked to in order manage RGB and it is does not detect GPU. Only MB and RAM RGB.

EDIT: Seems like internet is worse after update. :disagree:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 Apr 2023, 07:58

Try to plug it in different USB port, which may (or may not) need reinstall and check the speed again. PC is on the same place? Nothing changed with your wi-fi source? For example do you have notebook to compare it?

Integrated? Where is your GPU, thought you said that it was replaced?

You updated it yourself or it was a windows update? In any case there's solution to remove old driver when installing a new one, usually it comes pre-selected. It's a small tick down.
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 27 Apr 2023, 15:34

I will try plugging in different USB port. Everything is exactly the same.

There are two drivers listed. One is the GPU and the other says AMD Radeon (TM) which I think is the integrated card. It was automatic windows update and AMD adrenaline update. I've tried removing old driver and reinstalling but it does not solve the problem. I have to go back to the Microcenter again. Very tired of all this. :wall:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 Apr 2023, 22:33

Might be related to Windows 11, it's still too new and too hot. Instead of being stable for work. That would be benefit of Windows 10, as I proposed the key previously.

AMD is having one mega driver, which can install it all. Windows Update don't need to mess with it. I was already sending you link to that auto-install package.

Few pages back, there was link to 3rd party ARGB software. That one which I outlined is not the only. If your drivers will be working properly, you can try them one by one. Perhaps there will be one which will master them all. :)
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 28 Apr 2023, 18:27

As for the internet, the reason the wifi-adapter wasn't working was because the MB wifi had to be disabled in device drivers. The workers said that in the motherboard box there is supposed to be antenna to screw into MB for internet, but I did not see that in the box and I think they lost it.

As for RGB, I tried all the opensource programs listed a few pages back, but none of them are able to detect my GPU and ROG Ryujin, only the RAM. Therefore, I've gone back to using Armory Crate for ROG Ryujin and RAM while having to use Polychrome for GPU.

Finally, the driver error with the display adapter is not fixed, but all the graphical issues were resolved after changing HDMI ports.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 04 May 2023, 10:38

There should work more wi-fi adapters at once. So this is bug in drivers, anyway to switch others off is quick solution. Sure, they should mount them, they must been in the box.

Ok, don't give up. There may come the soft to control them all, once. :D

So either ports or drivers again.

Pls update your MB bios to version 1.21 to prevent accidental overvoltage (due to memory EXPO profile) and burning. Although I think that in your case the chances are nil, it's still better to be safe than sorry.

https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650E%20PG ... x.asp#BIOS
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 16 May 2023, 17:24

I can't get into my bios for some reason to update it. It said in instructions to press F2 after POST but it doesn't work.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 May 2023, 18:45

Hmm, you might try to hit F2 in the same mmt like Power. And release it, after you will be welcomed by BIOS screen.
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 18 May 2023, 05:44

As soon as I pressed yes to confirm update firmware, my computer powered down and restarted. Now it is at a black screen. Should I turn it off and turn it back on or leave it?

EDIT: After about 5 minutes, PC automatically restarted and I think it is now updated. I was prompted by download a driver and did it:

https://i.postimg.cc/rFqPB2mj/Untitled.jpg

After that, AMD Software Adrenaline application stopped working, but after I updated it, it works now.

I think I managed to do this without destroying my computer. :)

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 18 May 2023, 07:44

I can't verify it according your picture. But AsRock have it well described on their pages, check it out. ;)

B650e Riptide Wi-Fi Bios Update page.

There's additional option, coming via ASRock Motherboard Utility ver:4.0.53 which is supposedly capable of upgrading your BIOS from Windows, you just need to be careful to not to switch off your computer in the middle of it. :D
"We made it!"

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 24 May 2023, 18:54

"We made it!"

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Jul 2023, 16:38

Stacked here:

Disable switching off network when in Sleep Mode
Windows 10/11 (Pro/Home)

Add gpedit.msc to Windows 10+11 Home
cmd.exe - admin

Code: Select all

FOR %F IN ("%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~*.mum") DO (DISM /Online /NoRestart /Add-Package:"%F")
FOR %F IN ("%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientExtensions-Package~*.mum") DO (DISM /Online /NoRestart /Add-Package:"%F")

Please open the Local Group Policy Editor by pressing Windows key + R then type gpedit.msc and click OK. Once the Local Group Policy Editor window is open, kindly follow these steps below:
On the left side panel, navigate to this location:
Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Power Management/Sleep Settings
Select the Sleep Settings folder
On the right panel, double-click Allow network connectivity during connected-standby (plugged in)
Set it to Enable then click Apply and close the pop-up window
Double-click Allow network connectivity during connected-standby (on battery) and do the same steps
Close the Local Group Policy Editor window then restart the Surface to apply the changes
After the restart, check and see if the steps helps

source: answers.microsoft.com
"We made it!"

Pol
Admin
Admin

Slow "Save As" in Windows 10/11

Unread postby Pol » 13 Sep 2023, 09:30

Slow "Save As" in Windows 10/11

Open "cmd", run as administrator, run:

net stop server
Open:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
Delete all Files here

Back to the "cmd", run:

net start server
"We made it!"

Pol
Admin
Admin

Opera - Get back GPU acceleration if you have AMD APU and dedicated GPU card

Unread postby Pol » 15 Sep 2023, 19:28

After some fiddling with my Opera settings I re-enabled GPU support for Youtube and other web related stuff.

Situation:
I have old AMD APU A10-7850K on FM2+ socket, which is having integrated graphic but I don't longer use it. Instead I have also dedicated simple graphic card AMD Radeon RX 570. That all is running on Windows 10.

Problem:
Sometime from Opera 89 and up (now it's version 102) they started (Google, as 'Chrome' is now base for Chrome, Opera, Firefox and some other browsers.) to block GPU rasterization for AMD APU, for some claimed performance bug. That's disputable by itself but even worse, there's CPU block list, if you have it you are out of luck, even if everywhere it shows that you have it enabled. To make things worse it's doesnt even matter if you use the APU or if you have dedicated GPU.

Solution:
Check all these that they are enabled:

Opera:
Settings > Advanced
Use hardware acceleration when available: Enabled

opera://flags
Search for: GPU
Out-of-process SW H.264 decoding: Enabled (#platform-h264-decoder-in-gpu)
Override software rendering list: Enabled (#ignore-gpu-blocklist)
GPU rasterization: Enabled (#enable-gpu-rasterization)
Choose ANGLE graphics backend: D3D11 (#use-angle)
Note: D3D11D12 should also work, considering that you have it properly installed.

Search for: Vulkan
Vulkan: Enabled (#enable-vulkan)

Result:
Opera CPU consumption is back below 20%, overall CPU consumption below 60%, GPU used around 35%. Exact numbers depends on the charakteristics of the video. Without fix overall CPU consumption was 100%.

What I tried as the first didn't worked in my case but you are welcome to try it anyway. Go to bios and disable integrated GPU. In my case the effect was zero but maybe.. (because this is, how it supposed to work.)

It's possible that problem might not affect you, if you have dedicated GPU card from nVidia. I would almost bet on it. As this set up is more frequent, than mine.
"We made it!"

Return to “Campfire”