Tech Corner

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Dec 2013, 23:26

Yeah they're still on my shelf so I can send 'em if you want 'em.

As for the HDD, just go for something from WD. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 30 Dec 2013, 09:36

ThunderTitan wrote:...Hey, Pol, what's a good 2TB HDD these days?
If that will be primary drive, check speed to be 7200rpm (=not green wd or intellidrive). Otherwise.. Usually longer warranties means better drives and logo of manufacturer really doesn't matter. (Albeit factory does!)

Here in ČR, one of best offers is from Seagate. In your country it may vary. :P

Seagate, Samsung, WD, Hitachi, Toshiba.

Only three exist, no more.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Dec 2013, 02:41

My friend ended up getting his gf a Seagate... lets hope it lasts.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 05 Mar 2014, 20:59

My old - not really - laptop is getting a bit shaky ... First the shift buttons stopped working and now I keep getting error messages that Windows doesn't recognize units I put in the USB slots ... First a mouse and now the keyboard. Since I now have no way of getting the shift buttons to work, since I can't connect the external keyboard anymore, I am running backups on the whole machine in case I have to discard it altogether soon ... Not sure I'll bother buying a new one.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 29 Aug 2014, 17:50

Any recommendations for a computer monitor desk mount and what features are essential?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Sep 2014, 20:22

Hey, Pol, any recommendation when it comes to usb memory sticks? Or will any do?
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 04 Sep 2014, 21:47

Personally I have an SD card instead, with a small USB flash-stick-size SD card reader for computers that don't have those integrated. It's pretty cool because it fits everywhere, even into phones and cameras, and you don't need to replace both parts if one malfunctions. The price is about the same as a standard USB stick. The speed is a bit slower, but then pen drive speeds aren't really that important anyway, it's all about the capacity.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Sep 2014, 16:31

Sure, because i'm gonna bring people straight into the 21th century... when they dont even have a smart phone.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 05 Sep 2014, 19:42

ThunderTitan wrote:Hey, Pol, any recommendation when it comes to usb memory sticks? Or will any do?
Most of them will do. I have good experience with Kingston, Patriot and A-Data. Pretec is a bit of mystery if you hit or miss, Prestigio as well.
Decisive is speed, usb 3 support or OTG. :)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 05 Sep 2014, 20:56

ThunderTitan wrote:Sure, because i'm gonna bring people straight into the 21th century... when they dont even have a smart phone.
Hence why I said I also have a USB key-sized card reader, in case someone doesn't live in the 21st century ;)
Pol wrote:Decisive is speed, usb 3 support or OTG. :)
What are you doing to your poor USB sticks to need USB3 speeds? And do a lot of devices you use even support it? For normal operations, like copying files around, speed is a complete non-issue and it's better to just save money.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 06 Sep 2014, 08:45

GreatEmerald wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:Sure, because i'm gonna bring people straight into the 21th century... when they dont even have a smart phone.
Hence why I said I also have a USB key-sized card reader, in case someone doesn't live in the 21st century ;)
Pol wrote:Decisive is speed, usb 3 support or OTG. :)
What are you doing to your poor USB sticks to need USB3 speeds? And do a lot of devices you use even support it? For normal operations, like copying files around, speed is a complete non-issue and it's better to just save money.
Movies, if you have 16GB and more you save lotsa of time! And often, at least on our market, the price difference between usb2 and 3 version is negligible. (Considering you have other device with usb3, or plan to.)

OTG support is, only if you have tablet or compatible phone, otherwise not.

Also I found them slightly more handy in aluminium case.

PS Another option is to have 16GB microSD (Transcend, cheapest and best) and Kingston microUSB - SD adapter. But it's not for so frequent use. I think that it's most practical if you have combination of cell phone, camera and device with no microSD adapter, just USB. It's however extremly small. :)

Price matters!
"We made it!"

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Sep 2014, 05:24

Well this one is on sale: http://www.emag.ro/memorie-usb-kingston ... DQDHQBBBM/

What do you think?
Hence why I said I also have a USB key-sized card reader, in case someone doesn't live in the 21st century
You're assuming someone like that would understand how to use it without bugging me about it way too much until they learn, if ever...

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 09 Sep 2014, 10:18

ThunderTitan wrote: You're assuming someone like that would understand how to use it without bugging me about it way too much until they learn, if ever...
Oh, so it's not for yourself? All right then.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Sep 2014, 11:45

Well ofc it's not for myself, i do fine with multiple 8gb usb sticks that i get for free... already got way too many around the house actually.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Sep 2014, 14:57

ThunderTitan wrote:Well this one is on sale: http://www.emag.ro/memorie-usb-kingston ... DQDHQBBBM/

What do you think?
Looks good. (Very usbish :P )

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Sep 2014, 05:22

Pol wrote: Looks good. (Very usbish :P )
Damn that thing is small... from the picture i was expecting a more classic one, with the transparent part being a lid. It really show that i haven't bought one in a while (it's not like my old 16gb one isn't still enough).

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 24 Sep 2014, 21:10

Can someone explain to me why my computer fan is much louder than before and how I can get it back to it's original noise level?

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 25 Sep 2014, 03:20

I think I've isolated the source of the noise. It might be from my power supply. It sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FFXXZ-5DN4

I'm going to try to see if the store can do something with the warranty, but in case not, any solutions or alternate power supply suggestions?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Sep 2014, 07:20

@mr.hackcrag
Sounds like it's now producing more heat, so cooler is whirling faster. Likely no bearing fan, so even more noise. What PSU do you have?

Might slightly help if you "dust it off".

As this is not coil whines it's not much likely that they will replace it, however it's allways a good try. Some PSU boast about low noise, only 16/18/20/22dB, so if it's more. :devious:
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 25 Sep 2014, 22:23

I have the same psu as in that video which I got from this store: http://www.microcenter.com/product/4063 ... wer_supply

I can also smell something unusual when it is running. I'm not sure if I'd call it burning, but it smells like... electronics... and unnatural.

It also seems this is not an isolated incident with this psu as there are other reports of noise (assuming it is in fact my psu that is responsible for the noise). I "cleaned" two fans that were inside the pc, but I'm not sure if my psu has a fan and I wouldn't feel comfortable with removing any more parts to find out. It sounds more like a whining noise than it does a fan noise.

My pc was never "silent" like the store workers said it would be after being built, but now my computer is intolerable because the noise has become so irritating. :(

Return to “Campfire”