Tech Corner

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 17 Dec 2010, 04:31

Oh yeah, speaking about Windows XP, it has a few issues with AHCI. If you have AHCI enabled on your BIOS and want to keep it, you will have to slipstream the AHCI drivers to your Windows install CD, or else it will not detect the drive. Alternatively, you could temporarily set your BIOS to work in Legacy SCSI mode, install the OS, get the AHCI drivers, install them and set the mode back to AHCI. If you were to switch it in the BIOS without installing drivers, it would give you a well-deserved BSOD since it won't be able to detect the drive again.

In case you don't know, AHCI mode is the native HDD mode which utilises things like Native Command Queueing (NCQ) and thus makes it faster and more efficient.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 18 Dec 2010, 22:39

Pol wrote:It will work with XP SP3 and newer.
Should work with SP2 also. Or am I wrong?
There may occur some smaller issues. Though they are usually bios related. But it's safer to say, that it's from SP3. Though the critical is SP2. Without any SP they have no chance to foresee the hdd greatness.

Note I'm speaking about about 1.5TB HDD, the 640GB version is under 1TB borderline so just SP2 is ok. However if you don't have XP SP2 but older, you may always do a slipstream as well. :)

Edit:
I'm thinking myself about this card.
>> MSI N450GTS-M2D1GD5/OC. Because, ..it's still silent, very silent with a bit of modding, yet quite nice for my htpc. :D
The only possible drawback could be this
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 24 Dec 2010, 21:03

I just noticed that the speed of the HD is 5400 rpm ... isn't it supposed to be 7200?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 24 Dec 2010, 21:28

No. It's dynamic. If you need it, it will start spinning faster. That saves energy.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 24 Dec 2010, 23:06

Cool.

The problem I'm having right now is that I can't reformat the old drive ... When I try, the installation program says that it can't find the HD.

I guess this is because it's a SATA HD, and it can't find the drivers for that on the WinXP CD. Now, the trouble is, how the hell do I fix it? *starts browsing the web for possible step-by-step solutions*
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 Dec 2010, 09:42

You mean, ATA? Since Caviar Green is SATA.

I've received the HDD today and installed it... kinda-sorta. I connected it to the power but I'm lacking the cable that connects it to the motherboard. Interestingly enough, Windows knows about it on a subconscious level it seems - when I started the thing up, it installed drivers, but doesn't show that the drive is there.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 25 Dec 2010, 10:12

Kalah wrote:Cool.

The problem I'm having right now is that I can't reformat the old drive ... When I try, the installation program says that it can't find the HD.

I guess this is because it's a SATA HD, and it can't find the drivers for that on the WinXP CD. Now, the trouble is, how the hell do I fix it? *starts browsing the web for possible step-by-step solutions*
Oh Kalah
I have been having a nightmare of a time, trying to re-install Win XP on my old PC! At this point, when I start it, I don't even get the boot screen! I must have messed up a setting in the CMOS. It's too bad, because the old PC (8 years'ish) still runs pretty darn well otherwise.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Dec 2010, 10:36

@Kalah
You will need to provide a tad bit more information for help. There are no special drivers for SATA, only for AHCI or RAID. The rest is known by WinOS.

The old hdd size and connector.
Do you used XP Pro or something else?
Do you see it in BIOS?

Intelliseek is from 5400 to 7200rpm - it's very good idea!

And as well as with others (ideas) you need to use program WD Align to get your new hdd working 100%* under older systems - like WinXP. It's not needed under Vista and up.

Notes:
*PC things cannot work on 99%, in that case they are not working and need to be fixed.
**Read the description for the program carefully. You will likely need it only after OS installation. To make your drive running fast. One time use I suppose - to alter formatted partitions.

@Variol
It may be dead :P Anyway try to enter bios during boot (F1 or F2 or DEL or ESC) and pick up "Load bios defaults". If you have really damaged CMOS, physically then there is no help. If you have only damaged data stored in cmos, can't enter bios and can boot by some miracle then you can reflash with bios. - This will work as long as the cmos is not having any other problem and allow the reflashing.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Dec 2010, 12:40

Yes, indeed, the boot screen says I can hit F6 to insert the AHCI or RAID drivers ... it is obviously those that are missing. Is there any way I can 1) put those drivers on a new CD, 2) hit F6 during the setup/boot process, 3) take the WinXP CD out and put the drivers CD in ... and it will work?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 Dec 2010, 15:47

Variol, at least I have a jumper "clear CMOS" that resets the BIOS settings. If you have it, you might wish to use it.

Kalah, I don't get the issue. When you start the installation, it doesn't list any devices? That makes no sense if you didn't change anything in BIOS... Since it should be able to detect at least your old drive. Something is wrong there.

And no, you don't need AHCI/RAID drivers unless you are, well, using AHCI or RAID. In case you were using them, then you can slipstream the drivers into the Windows disc. You could also use a floppy, but I don't think many of those are still around. And no, you can't remove the Windows CD or read from a CD while in the setup.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Dec 2010, 15:55

Kalah wrote:Yes, indeed, the boot screen says I can hit F6 to insert the AHCI or RAID drivers ... it is obviously those that are missing. Is there any way I can 1) put those drivers on a new CD, 2) hit F6 during the setup/boot process, 3) take the WinXP CD out and put the drivers CD in ... and it will work?
Hey, please do that check for me first!
The old hdd size and connector. ide/sata
Do you use/d XP Pro or something else?
Do you see it in BIOS?
"We made it!"

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 25 Dec 2010, 15:59

Mine is/was the same issue Pol. Even though the Win XP disc has SP2, it still wanted the SATA drive CD; which still did not find the drive. So, I bought a cheap IDE drive, thinking, it would see that drive, but like I said, now, it does not even show a boot up screen. I will look for a jumper' on the MB I assume?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Dec 2010, 16:48

It had nothing to do with that, Pol. The connectors were OK, it was XP pro, and I could see it in the BIOS.

The problem was solved by using a newer C. My dad had a WinXP sp2 disc which worked (funney enough, sp3 didn't).

Next problem was how to get online. After messing around with configs for half an hour, I did it. :)

The PC is currently downloading stuff from Windows Update. Next stop is to get all the units (screen etc.) working, and then to install all the programs I need.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Dec 2010, 17:20

Variol wrote:Mine is/was the same issue Pol. Even though the Win XP disc has SP2, it still wanted the SATA drive CD; which still did not find the drive. So, I bought a cheap IDE drive, thinking, it would see that drive, but like I said, now, it does not even show a boot up screen. I will look for a jumper' on the MB I assume?
If you can access bios, look first for the SATA mode. It should be Legacy or IDE and not AHCI. In the case that this settings is presented you had won and can install straightly to the new drive.

For the sake of old drive, attached through IDE, check if it's having jumper in the master position and it's attached on the end of the ide cable. The jumper is on the drive itself not on the board. ;)
If it's doing problems, remove it completely. Have you had a chance to verify that's working?

@Kalah
I will take it as a warning that some Norwegian XP Pro SP3 can act awkwardly.
(In the case, that you didn't change anything elese. ;) )
"We made it!"

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 Dec 2010, 18:51

Hmm, it seems that these days installing XP is more hassle than it's worth. Even Linux is easier to setup. People should start switching to Win7 by now.

The BIOS jumper is on the motherboard, but the drive has its own jumpers.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 25 Dec 2010, 20:09

Pol,
I just have the PC open. It is an ABIT KV7 MB. I could not find any jumpers, which obviously said "CMOS", or anything like that. Would this problem happen, if the battery on the MB was no good?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Dec 2010, 21:02

Success. Managed to download all the crap I needed off the web, and now it seems to be functioning 90 %. I need to install the video card drivers when I get home, and then my super-PC should be squaky clean and good for several more years.

Then, the to-do list is:

1. Buy new HD (I'm suddenly thinking about an external one - less hassle).
2. Buy new screen.
3. a) Buy new CPU (notherboard included, naturally) - a bit apprehensive of this one.
3. b) Buy some more RAM to accompany the new CPU.
3. c) I'll have to get Windows 7 when I buy more RAM ...

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Dec 2010, 23:52

Kalah wrote:Success. Managed to download all the crap I needed off the web, and now it seems to be functioning 90 %. I need to install the video card drivers when I get home, and then my super-PC should be squaky clean and good for several more years.

Then, the to-do list is:

1. Buy new HD (I'm suddenly thinking about an external one - less hassle).
2. Buy new screen.
3. a) Buy new CPU (notherboard included, naturally) - a bit apprehensive of this one.
3. b) Buy some more RAM to accompany the new CPU.
3. c) I'll have to get Windows 7 when I buy more RAM ...
After you assemble buy an upgrade W7 - if you will buy new hdd, mb, cpu, mem and case+psu on one invoice you're eligible for oem :p. Less hassles with installing Windows again. And remember. You can install Windows from Windows when keeping your documents intact and also most of programs. 32bits to 32bits only.

@Variol
No, you would have a different sort of problem in that case.

Check board manual. Specifically pages 28,37,54. There's reset for cmos on the board. :)

Example how may set up your ide hdd here. Note: The positions on every hdd may differ - it will be written on it.

If any of the attached cables (ide/sata) would be damaged - the result could be the same. You may not be able to boot up.
"We made it!"

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 26 Dec 2010, 00:54

I'm just looking at my manual. There is a jumper showing next to the battery, which says CCMOS1. What would I do with the jumper?
Edit:
Sorry, I found how to reset it; I will try it...

Edit 2
Ok, that worked! I'm just checking the CMOS settings now...

Edit 3:
The IDE Primary Master is set to: HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GSA-
When I press Enter, there is only an option the set to auto, manual or none. Am I in the wrong place?

Edit 4:
Well, it still would not see the SATA drive. I did plug in the IDE drive and the Windows disk detected it. It's installing now... I hope it will see the SATA drive after that.

The IDE jumper setting was "Master with Slave Present". I have removed it for now, which should be "Single or Master".

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 26 Dec 2010, 08:36

Variol wrote:I'm just looking at my manual. There is a jumper showing next to the battery, which says CCMOS1. What would I do with the jumper?
Edit:
Sorry, I found how to reset it; I will try it...

Edit 2
Ok, that worked! I'm just checking the CMOS settings now...

Edit 3:
The IDE Primary Master is set to: HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GSA-
When I press Enter, there is only an option the set to auto, manual or none. Am I in the wrong place?

Edit 4:
Well, it still would not see the SATA drive. I did plug in the IDE drive and the Windows disk detected it. It's installing now... I hope it will see the SATA drive after that.

The IDE jumper setting was "Master with Slave Present". I have removed it for now, which should be "Single or Master".
2-:D

3-Auto. Your board is not having any AHCI settings. It only can enable/disable IDE1/IDE2/SATA controllers from bios.

4a- How big is the size of the SATA drive, is it over 120GB? You have very old board, which may way complicate things.

4b-Ideally the IDE drive should be on the end of the other IDE cable (ide controller 2) alone, jumpered as master. :)
"We made it!"

Return to “Campfire”