Tech Corner

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Tech Corner

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 22 Mar 2023, 03:03

Wow the 7950x3d looks so much better. I never doubted you for a second Pol. I was just surprised when the store worker said my build wouldn't work and then started changing everything. I will wait for the 7950x3d to be back in stock and then get that ASUS B650M-A Prime II motherboard & complete the build of the PC. :)

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 23 Mar 2023, 18:40

With my failing hard drive my computer frequently starts automatic repairs on hard drive when I turn it on, but this sometimes takes several hours and I'm not sure if it is froze or doing something meaningful. WIndows is booting from SSD so is there anything I can do to disable my hard drive to avoid this problem? At the moment, I can't seem to start Windows.

EDIT: I tried disabling boot option #2 hard drive in bios, but it seemed to not have any effect on being able to start my pc. It still loads forever on windows logo. When I try to start in safe mode, instead of going to the screen that lets you select that option, I just get a flicker of a rectangle box and then a black screen. I can see a mouse cursor, but not able to do anything. :|

EDIT 2: Somehow my computer started after the 30-40th attempt at powering up and down. Now I'm afraid to turn off my computer in case it happens again. 8|

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 24 Mar 2023, 09:10

Backup you failing HDD and disconnect it. ASAP.
So, you need another HDD to do it.

As of disconnecting, you can do that in BIOS (still sometimes) or you will need to open the case, locate HDD and unplug both connectors - for this, compute must be switched off, by switch on your PSU.

If you don't have external HDD, you can get yourself another internal one but you will need additional SATA and power cable to connect it to your PC. Do you have spare SATA cable? As of power, you are likely to have a spare one, from your PSU.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 25 Mar 2023, 01:21

I've backed up almost everything to a USB. I guess I will buy an external hard drive this weekend since I'm not sure I have spare SATA or power cables. It sounds like I can't use the one that was connected to the failing drive? Should I throw out the failing drive? Any you external drive you recommend?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Mar 2023, 09:02

I'm not sure about external, I have no recommendation here. Albeit these are in general slower (5400rpm instead of 7200). Myself I use Toshiba Basic HDD 4TB and it's acceptable but it was question mostly of the price here and fast USB3.

Instead I would recommend to get internal HDD 3.5" and got it with one extra sata3 cable, so you could inbuilt it into your new computer later.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/640 ... hard-drive

Sata cable should be sata3, preferably with latch, length around 0.7. (This depends on you, just imagine it from mb to some small stand next or on the top of your current computer.) Seemingly they cost in mc around $5.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 30 Mar 2023, 00:11

Given that the Ryzen 9 7950X3D is still sold out everywhere and 7800x3d releasing April 6th, would it be advisable to get the 7800x3d or continue waiting for the 7950x3d?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 30 Mar 2023, 06:14

I would advise to wait, can you reserve it?

On many places is written, that it should be available again in first half of April (like 12.4). If it will be, is however a big question. As they also state it like "unconfirmed".
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 31 Mar 2023, 16:59

Pol wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 16:42 BTW removing heatsink means to unscrew 6 screws.
According to the item description, the heatsink can't be removed. I will check again with the store if they think it will still fit, but if not, I will have to pay the return/restocking fees and buy the one without a heatsink.

https://www.newegg.com/nextorage-2tb-ne ... 0106-00003

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 01 Apr 2023, 07:39

mr.hackcrag wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 16:59
Pol wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 16:42 BTW removing heatsink means to unscrew 6 screws.
According to the item description, the heatsink can't be removed. I will check again with the store if they think it will still fit, but if not, I will have to pay the return/restocking fees and buy the one without a heatsink.

https://www.newegg.com/nextorage-2tb-ne ... 0106-00003
Wait for the board first, until that you can't confirm how it fits.
Heatsink can be removed in any case. (It may affects warranty though.)
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 01 Apr 2023, 17:50

Okay. Store worker said that in case it doesn't fit, either MB heatsink or SSD heatsink can be removed. However, he said that the motherboard we chose would not be able to power the CPU (something about VRM). He recommended a different MB. I wanted to get your idea if that's true or if you recommend a different item?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/652 ... otherboard

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 02 Apr 2023, 08:42

mr.hackcrag wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 17:50 Okay. Store worker said that in case it doesn't fit, either MB heatsink or SSD heatsink can be removed. However, he said that the motherboard we chose would not be able to power the CPU (something about VRM). He recommended a different MB. I wanted to get your idea if that's true or if you recommend a different item?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/652 ... otherboard
So, here you are, all time talking about their board. Now, it gives sense. First let me say, that you don't need X670 board at all. This is for overclokers, which you are not. (Based on our previous discussions) So you only end paying more for getting features which you will never use.

VRM is the same thing, it's having most importance for overclokers. That again, doesn't provide solid performance/bucks ratio :D
(Albeit having more robust VRM is better, you still would end not using it.)

Do you need wi-fi? You never mentioned directly.

As of M2. disk on "my board" it can be mounted with original cpu cooler, on "their" board it can't and you would need to remove it (or not use the one on the board).

As we are waiting for CPU, the board needs to be revalidated, once CPU will be in stock. Models and prices changes weekly. With some better performance but with worse ratio perf/money you can also consider B650E chipset. Some example of it, is this board: ASRock B650E PG Riptide WiFi. Note that for this board you would also need to unmount M.2 passive cooler first (or not use the one on the board).

ASRock B650E PG Riptide WiFi advantages over ASUS B650M-A Prime II-CSM AMD AM5
- better design, more aesthetically pleasing
- wi-fi
- better capacitors (meaning VRM too)
- a bit more speed, mostly for M.2 disk and a little for CPU and GPU too (very little honestly but for GPU it might be increased as time will go, that's a question though..)
- better support for Water Cooling

Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX advantages over ASRock B650E PG Riptide WiFi
- if you are not going for overclock, than none
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 03 Apr 2023, 02:50

Thank you Pol. You are much more trustworthy to me than store workers. I don't know why they keep trashing my motherboard.

Regarding wifi, I currently am using wifi where I live to connect to internet with this: https://www.trendnet.com/products/wirel ... -TEW-809UB

Any considerations I need with ASUS B650M-A Prime II-CSM and wifi?

I do not intend to overclock.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 03 Apr 2023, 06:18

mr.hackcrag wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 02:50 Thank you Pol. You are much more trustworthy to me than store workers. I don't know why they keep trashing my motherboard.

Regarding wifi, I currently am using wifi where I live to connect to internet with this: https://www.trendnet.com/products/wirel ... -TEW-809UB

Any considerations I need with ASUS B650M-A Prime II-CSM and wifi?

I do not intend to overclock.
You don't have any network cable from your router (and do you have router?) to your PC. That adapter looks mighty :D
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 03 Apr 2023, 20:07

Yes, I have router on first floor but my computer is on second floor so I use the adapter.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 03 Apr 2023, 20:23

mr.hackcrag wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 20:07 Yes, I have router on first floor but my computer is on second floor so I use the adapter.
I see. In such case is advisable to get MB with wi-fi but you might be needing different antennas. In such case you are probably not playing games like Counter strike or such? Wi-Fi sometimes cause lags.

How did you solved your Windows?
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 05 Apr 2023, 04:01

I have not solved my windows. I like the idea of the Windows 10 Professional Online Activation Key you showed, but little nervous to trust it.

Actually, my current PC that had failing hard drive somehow started working normally again and I've not had any problems with it so far.

In the meantime, I am waiting on stock availability of CPU. I haven't bought MB, Windows key, and hard drive. Everything else I bought already.

However, I am currently exploring relocating to a new job in a different state and I wonder if it was too soon to buy everything since it would have been more convenient to build computer after moving to new location. No use dwelling on it now since it is also hassle to return items.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 05 Apr 2023, 15:54

mr.hackcrag wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 04:01 I have not solved my windows. I like the idea of the Windows 10 Professional Online Activation Key you showed, but little nervous to trust it.
It worked for me, though I had got the key with genealogy. So I see, that original owner was some germany bank and then they sold it. If it's not OEM it's possible and legal. So, yes you save and it should be ok.
Actually, my current PC that had failing hard drive somehow started working normally again and I've not had any problems with it so far.
Could be a connector/cable? This is a bit suspicious. Disk itself can't magically recover like this. :D

Hmm, life is full of surprises. :devious:

We will see when CPU will come "in stock" and if there will be any changes in price or offers.
"We made it!"

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 06 Apr 2023, 17:48

https://discover.amd.com/index.php/emai ... md_id=5033
Hmm, but you would need to wait even longer. The "AMD Ryzen™ 7 7800X3D" is obviously having lower performance than "AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D" but, it's not so far, despite having less cores in some games seems to be lacking only 8%. And the price should be $449. That's doing whooping $250 difference.

Just a thought. ;)
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 07 Apr 2023, 00:41

The 7950X3D is in stock at Microcenter and I bought it. PC is being built and should be done by tomorrow. I went with the ASRock B650E PG Riptide WiFi MB, no hard drive, and unfortunately, I had to buy the home windows 11 oem from the store for $120. They are installing it as part of the building fee there. The building fee was $250.

I think the total cost of everything was around $2600. I will post picture when I can.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 08 Apr 2023, 01:33

The store worker said there was a delay in completing the build because of "odd behavior from the PC and he wanted to be sure the issues were resolved by the BIOS update." He said it passed full diagnostic testing and I can pick it up tomorrow. It makes me nervous. 8|

Return to “Campfire”