Zombies!

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 07 Jul 2011, 13:23

ThunderTitan wrote:It doesn't use the word "hotly contested" for nothing you know...
No but it also rate quibbling over the word zombie as the epitome of pedanticness. Meaning something only done by people who are no fun at parties :tongue:

Terry Pratchetts zombies are my favourite, as they really aren't like other zombies. And even though no haitian witchdoctors are involved, I feel it is a perfectly acceptable use of the term.

Reading about Windle Poons attempts to regulate his previously autonomous bodily functions, and his failed attempts at "suicide", is particularily amusing :)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Jul 2011, 13:12

Ethric wrote:
No but it also rate quibbling over the word zombie as the epitome of pedanticness. Meaning something only done by people who are no fun at parties :tongue:
If this is a party i'd hate to see what you consider boring...

But seriously, without a definition words are useless...

Ethric wrote:Terry Pratchetts zombies are my favourite, as they really aren't like other zombies. And even though no haitian witchdoctors are involved, I feel it is a perfectly acceptable use of the term.

Reading about Windle Poons attempts to regulate his previously autonomous bodily functions, and his failed attempts at "suicide", is particularly amusing :)
But parodies are special cases, they don't have to even make sense, as long as it's funny...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 17 Jul 2011, 10:53

Eh.., perhaps because I dunno.., all the good parts have been taken by someother undeads ? I mean since vampires and demons and werewolves already get the cute, mysterious, etc description, then nothing else were left for zombies ?

It's like, if all the protagonist parts already taken, then at least someone should become an antagonist, for otherwise the show can't go on ?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 17 Jul 2011, 22:15

For sure, but aren't all undead antagonists at heart? Come to think of it, perhaps one should be grateful that not all the badasses have gone soft and frilly. Perhaps start a zombie and mummy-preservation society to ensure they never change! :-D
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Jul 2011, 18:01

I knew you'd come around...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 19 Jul 2011, 13:02

No, because I'd still call any undead whose main characteristic is being a walking corpse a zombie :tongue:
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Jul 2011, 15:48

My sister has been playing that "zombies vs plants" web game of late ... looks like fun. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Shyranis
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Shyranis » 19 Jul 2011, 15:58

Ever played the Board game Zombies!!! ?
Youtube has terminated my account without reason.

Please express why it should be reinstated on Twitter.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Jul 2011, 18:31

Ethric wrote:No, because I'd still call any undead whose main characteristic is being a walking corpse a zombie :tongue:
So anything except flaming skulls and ghosts?

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 27 Jul 2011, 09:30

Ethric wrote:For sure, but aren't all undead antagonists at heart? Come to think of it, perhaps one should be grateful that not all the badasses have gone soft and frilly. Perhaps start a zombie and mummy-preservation society to ensure they never change! :-D
Uhm...considering undead has heart in the first place ? :-D

That seems to be related to how man perceive the value of their undeadness (or unlifeness ?) and supernatural power source.

What me thinking, there be 3 types of monsters/undead/whatever exist in this monster-value relation;

1. Are those perceived to be created by/from a divine force. Something/someone who is already greater than human, thus whatever it be, it was bestowed with every qualities which are better than what were in human. They are perhaps stronger, more cunning, faster, etc. Genies, efreeti, rakshasha, devas, nagas, garudas, angels, cherubs, titans, etc belong to this category.

2. Are those perceived to be humans counterpart (or in case of undead, what were once human) but still created by/from non-human force.
Something/someone who is comparable to humans but with much distorted qualities, like exceedingly strong but awfully stupid, very cunning but immoral, beautiful but unyielding, etc. These are those qualities which in humans were taken to the extreme, like creating a distorted picture of humanity. Elves, fairies, ogres belong to this category. For undead, they aer vampires, werewolves, mummies. So you can see, they are basically a distorted version of human.

3. Are those perceived to be created/raised by humans and being so, would never equal the quality of humans themselves.
Perhaps out of arrogance, or unwillingness to accept their limitations, humans always create something that nearly (but not equal) to themselves. To make this, they bestow them with (fantastical) quality inferior to humans (perhaps not all, but at least ones perceived to be the most important to humanity). These creatures always lacking in beauty, independence, logic and vision. Zombies, walking deads, golems, robots, apv, super-computer, clones, belong to this category.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 Jan 2012, 20:51

That "deadliest warrior" show on the Discovery channel recently discarded its usual history-based plot and set up a match between the vampire and the zombie. The vampires (3 of them) had intelligence and strength on their side, while the zombies had relentlessness and strength of numbers (there were +160). The simulation ran and the vampire won, mostly due to its strength and being able to kill several zombies with each blow from its claws - decimating the enemies at great speed.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to “Campfire”