New discussion site proposal

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

New discussion site proposal

Unread postby Kristo » 14 Sep 2010, 11:33

I've started a proposal over at the Stack Exchange family of websites for a new discussion site specifically for the Might and Magic family of games. I'm thinking this could be a way to unify both the Round Table and Heroes Community with a newer, more modern discussion engine. A site built on the StackExchange engine (hopefully) addresses a lot of the reasons people are members here and not at HC, or vice versa:
  • All "threads" are in a question and answer format
  • The community may vote on every post, like reddit
  • Users gain (or lose) reputation points based on those votes
  • Achievement badges for doing various good things (e.g., highly voted answers)
  • Community-elected moderators (in addition to the SE admins)
  • Two extra websites, one for meta-discussion about the main site and a Campfire-like chat site
The proposal process is going on here:

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposa ... eluZoNznQ2

If you're interested in participating, go to that URL and click on the orange "Follow It!" button. The first step in the proposal process is to submit and vote on sample questions that would represent the discussion on this new website. Once we get 60 followers and enough highly voted questions, we can move to the next stage.

So what do you think? Anyone interested?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Sep 2010, 11:38

How about the mods just upgrade the forum instead.

Leave consolidation to evil corporations.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 14 Sep 2010, 15:44

This IS an upgrade. And the admins wouldn't have to do any work to build it.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Sep 2010, 16:32

Kristo wrote:And the admins wouldn't have to do any work to build it.
Then i object on principle alone...

Plus, i'd rather they just keep the current forum setup with some added functionality only...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 14 Sep 2010, 18:50

What's wrong with this forum?

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 14 Sep 2010, 19:51

For starters, a large number of Heroes fans aren't here, they're at Heroes Community. My proposal is about unifying the two places into one larger community.

Also, it's common for good useful information (e.g., Heroes 6 facts) to get buried deep in a really long thread somewhere. The question-and-answer style of the StackExchange engine ensures that highly voted answers will always be available near the top.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 14 Sep 2010, 20:30

How would one unify those communities?

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 14 Sep 2010, 21:57

It would be a long process. My current plan is to make an announcement over on HC with the same text I've posted here. If enough people accept the proposal (from one or both places), the StackExchange framework will create a new website for us. Then both the Round Table and Heroes Community can start thinking about permanently migrating their traffic to the new site.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Sep 2010, 06:30

I don't think I'm very interested. This is home.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Sep 2010, 07:16

Yeah, we don't need those nerfherders anyway... ;)
Also, it's common for good useful information (e.g., Heroes 6 facts) to get buried deep in a really long thread somewhere.
Ha, that's why a closed, sticky info thread where the mods can post collected info is needed... B-)

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 15 Sep 2010, 12:03

It's difficult to act like an oversexed, pervert with chocolate chip cookies in a Q&A format.

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 15 Sep 2010, 13:17

I have my doubts that Valeriy or any of the HC members would agree to this idea.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 15 Sep 2010, 17:16

Corlagon wrote:I have my doubts that Valeriy or any of the HC members would agree to this idea.
Oh, you know your master well. :D

And I'm also not having feeling for this. This site (as well as HC) may be customized to whatever we desire, tuned to the littlest details. - That isn't case for area51.stackexchange.com.

Kristo, it could be that you would miss in area51 many things, little engine changes under surface which we're happily using, same for HC.
The possibility to customize the site is the value, which can't be underestimated. Even the possibility.

PS The name si funny, you know what is original area51? It's a development forum for phpbb! For ages...

;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 16 Sep 2010, 11:50

Area51 is just the place where website proposals happen. An example of a functioning site is here: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/.

So why don't you think the HC people would go for this? Are there any reasons beyond (a) "we like our forum just fine thank you" and (b) "we don't want to have to talk to RT people"?
Peace. Love. Penguin.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Sep 2010, 09:31

Kristo wrote:(b) "we don't want to have to talk to RT people"?
isn't that reason enough...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Sep 2010, 09:58

Well, there are differences, obviously - which is why there are two forums to begin with.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ketchua
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ketchua » 17 Sep 2010, 12:35

Exactly. There is a vaaast difference between the mindset of people here, and on HC. There is a reason why people choose to become part of either of these communities, and it's not just the crappy design on HC. :D

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Sep 2010, 15:09

The thing is, since there is obviously "room" for two forums (since both continue to exist despite the presence of the other), I don't really see a crossover happening ...

That said, I certainly won't stop the initiative. Anyone who wants to join a different forum will still be welcome here.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 17 Sep 2010, 16:46

I've never really visited HC out of laziness. I've been a member here forever and don't really have the time to visit two places discussing the same thing. I guess it just seems silly to me that there are two places to begin with. I feel like a brand new discussion site built on modern technology would be a great excuse to wipe away our petty differences and start fresh. The best part of the StackExchange engine in my mind is that it's run by the people at StackOverflow, inc. It's neutral ground for both the RT and HC people to come together.

Also, would it not be beneficial for the HoMM fan community to speak with one voice, i.e., from the same forum? It's too late for H6, but if the series continues, the devs wouldn't even have to start their own forum. They could just use ours.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 17 Sep 2010, 17:26

Kristo wrote:So why don't you think the HC people would go for this? Are there any reasons beyond (a) "we like our forum just fine thank you" and (b) "we don't want to have to talk to RT people"?
I guess not. Actually I suppose reason A is the only valid one, since I think you people are great :)

Return to “Campfire”