Pc vs. Laptop

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules

Prefer?

Pc
56%
Laptop
44%

Total votes: 16

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 05 Jul 2010, 15:28

... +++++++++++ :S

You wouldn't get a gaming anything for less than that around here anyway, at least not unless you go on the "It fell off the back of a truck, honest"-market.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 05 Jul 2010, 16:35

Now this is just me, and I am not all that up to date as what are the hottest components, but at your price point you will have to make some major sacrifices. At that price whatever you buy it will probably struggle with most of the 3d games, if not those out right now certainly the ones that will be released in the near future. I buy computers far too often (laptops about every 24 months, desktops about every 36); B-) I usually buy the cpu that is one level below the best along with a comparable graphics card and the fastest memory available. By the time I replace the computer they are normally struggling at least for me. Now if you plan on keeping it a long time, then the laptop is not a good idea, typically small hard drives compared to a desktop will keep causing you to make decision what to delete and what to keep (though you can now get a 500gb drive reasonably priced). Upgrading a laptop other than memory is usually not realistically possible. If you go desktop then at least make sure you get a motherboard that will support future upgrades that make sense and get a power supply that will be large enough to power any of those future upgrades. At the price you are being held to will force you into a machine that will quickly be left behind if for no other reason that the operating system and security programs are constantly creating a larger demand on system resources. This will mean a better cpu, memory, new graphics card etc. so make sure the motherboard will accept the upgrades otherwise a year from now you may wish you waited.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 05 Jul 2010, 16:54

I've got a Pc, 15 years old! It works perfectly still. I cant play the best games but i dont care!

So a new will take me into a whole new gaming experience
Last edited by Sure Valla on 17 Apr 2013, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 05 Jul 2010, 18:56

It's all in the games we play isn't it, as I have not played now for awhile and though my computers are approaching when I would normally replace them. Since H-IV, and MM6-8 all run fine on them with my win7 upgrades I suspect I won't be replacing them for a while. Let's see 15 years that would be when win95 came out. You must have replaced much of your computer over that time so that it is not the same, which brings me to the must important point make sure you get a good motherboard.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 05 Jul 2010, 19:46

For me, game age isn't all. Take x3, civ 4, oblivion; all games that run fairly well on a pc that isn't antique. Then I load them full of mods... different story alltogether. But as always, it's what YOU are going to use it for that determines what you ought to get. We all have our very own peculiar combination of preferences.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 05 Jul 2010, 23:07

15 years of no upgrade practically means 10 years worth of games to be played. Even if you can't play the latest game ever released on the highest settings (which is very likely, by the way), you still get to play literally hundreds of different titles you missed out on. Think about it.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jul 2010, 06:47

jeff wrote: I buy computers far too often (laptops about every 24 months, desktops about every 36); B-)
Can you say "wasteofmoney" three times fast?! A game you can't enjoy with medium or even low graphics is a waste of space IMO.

I only changed my last PC because the hardware was giving out (the HDD it seems, now my brother is using the 20GB one from the PC before the old one), and it was over 5 years old. The only thing i changed was the video card because the original one lacked pixel shader 2.0 and stuff and added some RAM to it.

Also, i think one of my friends had the right idea when he only spent 100$ or less on his video card, it's probably more cost effective to just change the card in 2-3 years then buy a 300+$ one which might become obsolete because of some new version of shaders or something.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jul 2010, 08:01

Almost forgot i had this saved: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cor ... ,2310.html

And 600$ is still under 550€, innit.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 07 Jul 2010, 08:07

Is it a small computer?

It looks really tiny.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 07 Jul 2010, 08:10

One of my friends called me yesterday in the evening, he dropped his 1100 euro Laptop, its wasted.

His screen turned white, and it had some cracks in it.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jul 2010, 08:12

Well big components are usually the result of the cooling system (my video card smaller then the part used to keep it cool), and i'm guessing a smaller case (instead of a tower) is probably cheaper.

At tower case is 60-80% empty anyway (which probably helps with cooling, but a cheap PC shouldn't be producing much heat).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jul 2010, 08:32

And a more recent build, with an AMD in it: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu ... ,2659.html

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 07 Jul 2010, 08:43

Looks cool but $500?

Thats not my max budget. Can i get better?

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 07 Jul 2010, 09:52

I think that AMD system TT posted is pretty solid (with a kickass video card, mind you!). What I love about AMD is, you can actually upgrade your CPU without changing your motherboard even after 3-4 years, unlike Intel. You can buy that system now and upgrade the CPU later with a Phenom XII X4 or even an X6, which is just a bit slower but a lot cheaper than the Intel Core i7 (the fastest and most expensive Intel processors).
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jul 2010, 10:43

Sure Valla wrote:Looks cool but $500?

Actually i suggest you look at prices where you're from, prices might not be the same in all regions.

Once you're sure of the actual price where you're form you can look at a better Processor or more RAM (but you can always get more RAM for pretty cheap, a processor is better), or whatever you can get from offers and stuff.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 07 Jul 2010, 10:48

I'm from Holland, The Netherlands, .nl

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jul 2010, 10:59

Yeah, i'm pretty sure it would be way easier for you to check out the prices in your area then me...

And on an unrelated note, look at that, Crysis on max streins the PC twice as much as MW2 on full: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu ... 59-10.html

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 07 Jul 2010, 20:24

Sure Valla wrote:Looks cool but $500?

You want to pay more? HERE is one. Better CPU, double RAM, double HDD, only the graphic card is less impressive, but still very good for most games.
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jul 2010, 20:30

He could always keep the video card and get the better CPU and HDD (although that 1GB one doesn't list RPM).

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 07 Jul 2010, 20:37

It's given in the Technical Specifications page - 7200.

But depends on everyone's needs. I'm rarely interested in the latest 3D GPU demanding games, while I am interested in system speed & storage space, so I'd go for that one and not need to worry later on about buying new parts for it.
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Return to “Campfire”