World Cup 2010

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Jun 2010, 13:46

I'm at work (no, they didn't let us go home and watch the match!), and we'll be all watching the match here. :mad: I hate having these intercourses with workmates! We are already preparing ourselves! :hoo:

Brazil - 5 x 0 - Portugal is my bet. Not that I'm too proud, but I believe in that.

Robinho will score three times, Nilmar once and Lucio another one. That's that. :baby:
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 25 Jun 2010, 13:48

Intercourse instead of football at work? ...what sort of workplace is ths?
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Jun 2010, 13:50

Yes, I'd like to hear more. I mean, I thought my workplace was good ... :devious:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Jun 2010, 15:41

Not that intimate. ;)

Anyway, the game is (was) boring as usual. It seems the players lack will to play sometimes...they just stand still waiting the ball to do all the job.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Jun 2010, 17:44

Well, seeing as both teams would advance with a draw, and that even if Portugal lost, CIV would have had to sink Korea by about 8-0, there was only honour to play for. What surprises me was that not too many players seemed concerned about picking up yellow cards; the ref kept dishing out punishments, but they just kept on running into reckless tackles. :|

So, later on it's time for Chile - Spain. What's fun about that is that Switzerland also have three points, just like Spain ... so if Chile wins, and the Swiss win, Spain - reigning European champions - are out of the tournament along with Italy and France. *giggle*
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jun 2010, 18:23

Panda Tar wrote: Brazil - 5 x 0 - Portugal is my bet. Not that I'm too proud, but I believe in that.

Robinho will score three times, Nilmar once and Lucio another one. That's that. :baby:
I think you owe us some money mate.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Jun 2010, 19:00

Er...look at that yellow gorgeous panda right there!

*running as fast as the portly legs stand*

And what the hell did that Chile goalkeeper meant to do? :disagree: Not kicking aside the ball, but giving it as a gift for the Spanish player. Well, perhaps Spain ought to keep up. :(

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Jun 2010, 20:30

Yeah, I thought that was silly as well. The defender had things under control, so the goalie had no business there. It reminded me of situations I have experienced myself.

Now, Spain won 2-1, but since Switzerland only managed a 0-0 draw against Honduras, both Spain and Chile are through. Now Chile will need to find someone to play, since 3of their players are suspended ...

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 27 Jun 2010, 11:20

Panda Tar wrote:Er...look at that yellow gorgeous panda right there!
She's looking for you, Tar.

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Jun 2010, 16:55

England are out, well deserved. They've played poorly the whole tournament. They should have had that second goal, but that doesn't take away the fact that Germany's youngsters completely outplayed the English superstars.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 27 Jun 2010, 17:38

That "correct", but not given second goal equalizes the undeserved "Wembley goal" of 1966, finally. :-D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Jun 2010, 19:39

I guess the octopus was right: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/10420131.stm obviously it's an invertebrate witch... we need to drown it and see if it floats.

And the US lost to Ghana...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 27 Jun 2010, 20:40

:D

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 27 Jun 2010, 20:58

Koni wrote:That "correct", but not given second goal equalizes the undeserved "Wembley goal" of 1966, finally. :-D

To be fair, this was far, far worse than the Wembley goal.

But that's two bad calls today that affected the final score. It's the f-ing 21st century; clear offsides shouldn't be allowed, nor should balls well over the line be dismissed.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Jun 2010, 21:02

These are really difficult for the linesmen; they have strict instructions from FIFA not to award a goal unless they're standing on the line down by the corner flag ... and this guy was 10 metres away. So even if the linesman had seen the ball bounce on the inside of the goalline, he couldn't possibly award the goal.

Also, the ball (strangely) went in the crossbar, down inside the line and back outwards to hit the crossbar once more. Logic dictates that the ball went straight down and back up in a vertical line ... whereas in reality the trajectory was slightly inwards.

Shyranis
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Shyranis » 27 Jun 2010, 21:13

The caption for this on Digg was:

US is out of the World Cup, but at least we lose with class.

Seems like it really happened too
Youtube has terminated my account without reason.

Please express why it should be reinstated on Twitter.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 28 Jun 2010, 00:37

LOL

Ok. That made me smile.

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 28 Jun 2010, 13:09

In about an hour the Netherlands will play.Hopefully we win AND play attractive soccer. Believe me, if we play like we did in practice matches we have a good chance of getting far...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Jun 2010, 15:15

Here's a warning to over-eager cameramen, not to get too close to the action. :D

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 Jun 2010, 16:39

darknessfood wrote:Hopefully we win AND play attractive soccer.
Well, one out of two...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Return to “Campfire”