World Cup 2010

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 07 Jul 2010, 20:23

We'll get a new World Champion; a country that has never won it before. My money's on Holland, but it should be a great final regardless. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jul 2010, 20:26

RELEASE THE KRAKEN... see which box he picks.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 07 Jul 2010, 21:00

First time ever to happen a final without any previous Champion. Now I'll watch the game. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 07 Jul 2010, 22:41

WOOT!

All hail the Psychic Octopus!

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 07 Jul 2010, 23:16

ThunderTitan wrote:Damn squid is right again.
On the menu at a German Restaurant near you.

Though it was only 1-0, it was still entertaining and the better team won.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 07 Jul 2010, 23:31

I found it a little dull, actually. If the goal had come sooner, the match might have heated up a bit more. Now it only really got interesting the final quarter.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 07 Jul 2010, 23:44

I didn't get to see it. I've been searching YouTube for videos, but no luck yet.

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

Shyranis
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Shyranis » 08 Jul 2010, 03:33

So this may seem unrelated at first but...

UTAU is a free program that allows you to use virtual singers for any song you can thing of. You can even make your own. Look up UTAU and you'll get a ton of songs even here on Youtube.

People also use them as voice actors for animations.

However (and this is the part to do with the world cup), some crazy person made one with the voice of a vuvuzela (named Bubune Zela no less).

This is how UTAU normally sound.

This is the Vuvuzela version.

Enjoy.

For more info on UTAU see:
http://utau.wikia.com/wiki/UTAU_wiki[url][/url]

Oh, and because Kirby is ultimate cuteness, here is Kirby singing Fukkireta as well.
Youtube has terminated my account without reason.

Please express why it should be reinstated on Twitter.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 08 Jul 2010, 05:10

ThunderTitan wrote: It's easy, you're not allowed to pass to someone that's beyond the last defender of the other team...
Almost, but not quite.

You're not allowed to pass forward to someone who has less than two persons in the defending team between him and the goal. One of the two defenders is usually, but not always, the goalkeeper. You can also not be offside on your own half, or if the ball was passed backwards to you.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 08 Jul 2010, 10:06

Spain was the better team and has earned the victory. The German boys acted too anxiously and with too much respect for their opponents from the beginning. No player found his courageous form which they showed in the previous games. Maybe the Dutch players do it, if they attack the Spains earlier and press them in the middlefield and disturb their circles. Good luck, Holland!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Jul 2010, 10:59

Gaidal Cain wrote: You're not allowed to pass forward to someone who has less than two persons in the defending team between him and the goal. One of the two defenders is usually, but not always, the goalkeeper. You can also not be offside on your own half, or if the ball was passed backwards to you.
If he read the rules and didn't understand why would you think you needed to overcomplicate the explanation?!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 08 Jul 2010, 14:37

Because the trouble with the offside rule is probably less that it's hard to understand than the fact that it's simplified, and then people complain when they "don't understand" why someone wasn't offside.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 08 Jul 2010, 16:58

Gaidal Cain wrote:
You're not allowed to pass forward to someone who has less than two persons in the defending team between him and the goal. One of the two defenders is usually, but not always, the goalkeeper. You can also not be offside on your own half, or if the ball was passed backwards to you.
That's way better than the wikipedia-explanation, I actually understood it now.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 08 Jul 2010, 17:20

...or if the ball was passed backwards to you.
Wrong. It's not offside only if the receiving player is BEHIND the ball. Any type of pass is allowed (including forward passes) as long as the receiving player is behind the ball, so it doesn't necessarily have to be a backwards pass to him either.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 08 Jul 2010, 17:42

Look, all you noobs, it's simple: The rule is there to avoid "fishing". Imagine the typical 10-year-olds picture, of all the players running after the ball no matter where it is. Then there's always one guy who stands still up by the opponent's goal throughout the match. Then his keeper gets the ball, kicks it all over the field up to him, and he scores because he's alone up there.

That is why you are not allowed to stand in an offside position. Now, how to define what offside is exactly? Well, you have to assign just how many players your opponent can have up there to keep an eye on you. That number is two, to include the keeper, since he never leaves the goal. That leads to the definition:

You are in an offside position if you are closer to the opponent's goal than the second last opposing player.

Then to the rule in practice. Keep in mind what I said initially, why the rule is there.
- you cannot be ruled offside if you're behind the ball when it's played to you (obviously), or if it's played to you by an opponent.
- you are not offside if you're on your own half of the pitch (that's so far away from the goal that the "fishing" thing is out).
- you are also not offside on throw-ins or goal kicks (those are set piece situations, and the opponent should be prepared).

The reason this gets so tricky in high-level football is that the pros really know how to push these rules to their limits. That's all.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 08 Jul 2010, 18:10

And then there's "Passive Offside"... :D :devil:
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 08 Jul 2010, 18:46

Yeah, like I said, they're pushing the rules to the limit. Basically, it's not illegal to stand offside, as long as you're not doing anything or are involved in the game. That rule has been stretched to its very limit, by saying that unless you actually receive the ball, or gain an advantage by your (offside) position, you're fine.

Illustrated thus:

"Hey, ref! That guy running over there on the right - he was offside!"
"Yes, but the ball wasn't hit to him, it was hit to someone else, who was not offside!"

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 08 Jul 2010, 19:44

I liked GC's explanation...
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 08 Jul 2010, 20:17

Are we really explaining the offside rule? This isn't the World Cup 2010 for women topic right? :devious:
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 08 Jul 2010, 20:53

No, this belongs in the football thread, really. Now, who do we think wins? I think Holland. In extra time.

And we all know I'm right, because I've got eight arms, and I'm an octopus.

Return to “Campfire”