World Cup 2010

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 07 Jul 2010, 00:44

"Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win."
- Lineker

:D

Spurs guy. Luv'im. He dived a lot, but ...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 07 Jul 2010, 00:46

I hope we are going to win the finales, it would be SO freaking awesome! Let's hope for the best on sunday!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 07 Jul 2010, 01:45

Kalah wrote:"Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win."
- Lineker

:D
Yep that's the quote I heard. Really looking forward to tomorrow's game, either through will make for a great final. For that matter the game for 3rd place could be good.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jul 2010, 06:37

Psychic octopus sides with Spain: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/10521867.stm

And it would really make for a less boring final, wouldn't it.
jeff wrote: Understand I love watching high level soccer like this even more than any US sport except our football, and believe the Dutch are too good to resort to theatrics, they just don’t need them.
Yeah, that's why they got up right away after it was clear they weren't getting more like 80% of the time.

Also, there should really be a rule about not being allowed to call a sport football unless at least 60% of the time actual feet touch an actual ball.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 07 Jul 2010, 07:41

ThunderTitan wrote:Psychic octopus sides with Spain
But look at the last sentences:
"Correspondents says Paul's plumping for Spain has caused alarm in the country, but some analysts point out that his predictive powers are not perfect.
During Euro 2008 he wrongly picked Germany as the victor against Spain."

My hope is, that Paul wanted to correct his error by a vice versa error. We'll see tonight. ;)

But congrats to all Dutch fans here. :tsup:

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 07 Jul 2010, 08:03

ScarlettP wrote:Congrats Valla! You're IN!
:hoo: :hoo: 2-3 HOLLAND :hoo: :hoo:

To the FINALS!

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 07 Jul 2010, 10:26

jeff wrote:... defined soccer as a bunch of men running around for 90 minutes, the referee makes a mistake and Germany wins.
I kind of like this version better. :D

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 07 Jul 2010, 12:05

jeff wrote:Well if Robben continues to try and sway the members of the Academy for an Oscar nomination, :disagree: I will hope the Dutch go down. If however he actually uses his talent instead, then the Dutch going through may make for a better final.
Not the first time he does that. Doesn't fancy players like him - looks so much like Brazilians do around here. I hate that sort of gameplay.

Anyway, they're at the finals. Now I hope for Spain, not Germany to win. Germany vs The Netherlands not worth watching. :) Spain at least have a different sort of play style.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Shyranis
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Shyranis » 07 Jul 2010, 12:10

Sure Valla wrote:
ScarlettP wrote:Congrats Valla! You're IN!
:hoo: :hoo: 2-3 HOLLAND :hoo: :hoo:

To the FINALS!
Indeed... Solid!
Youtube has terminated my account without reason.

Please express why it should be reinstated on Twitter.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 07 Jul 2010, 13:34

A bit late, but liked it.

Hard to believe this Messi is only 22 years old. Looks like 30, at least, to me.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 07 Jul 2010, 17:32

ThunderTitan wrote:Psychic octopus sides with Spain: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/10521867.stm
Since he resides in Germany I hear he was on the menu right after that prediction.
ThunderTitan wrote: Also, there should really be a rule about not being allowed to call a sport football unless at least 60% of the time actual feet touch an actual ball.
I sort of agree with you, I am not sure why we call it that, but it is what it is, and still my favorite sport, but soccer has closed the gap.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 07 Jul 2010, 17:48

Usually in these big championships, I tend to "know" which semifinalist will win the final; i.e. "whoever wins this semi, will go all the way".

For once, I'm not sure.

I thought I'd say that the winner of Spain - Germany would win, but Holland are strong as well. Anyone can win this ...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jul 2010, 18:52

jeff wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:Psychic octopus sides with Spain: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/10521867.stm
Since he resides in Germany I hear he was on the menu right after that prediction.
Octopus is delicious...

jeff wrote:I sort of agree with you, I am not sure why we call it that, but it is what it is, and still my favorite sport, but soccer has closed the gap.

Because gridiron is just too appropriate for it.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 07 Jul 2010, 19:11

Looked up the offside-rule today, just to see what it's all about. I didn't get it...
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 07 Jul 2010, 19:37

Had hoped for an early goal to really open the game up. It is beginning to smell a bit like a 1-0 game. It is still exciting, but I just want to see some goals (more than one please.) :D

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 07 Jul 2010, 19:49

I can explain the offside rule to ya'll later.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 07 Jul 2010, 19:54

Go on, explain. :canthearu:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 07 Jul 2010, 19:54

I'm watching the match, dummy. :tongue:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 07 Jul 2010, 19:57

You could have read this later, jack-in-the-box summoner. :-D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jul 2010, 20:22

Damn squid is right again.

Ethric wrote:Looked up the offside-rule today, just to see what it's all about. I didn't get it...
I hear they have pills for that now...

It's easy, you're not allowed to pass to someone that's beyond the last defender of the other team because if you could you could just have 1 guy stay near the goal post all the time and everyone else would just kick the ball in his general direction for an almost free goal (the goalkeeper has too much ground to cover).
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 07 Jul 2010, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Campfire”