World Cup 2010

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 03 Jul 2010, 21:00

Well, maybe not in that photo! But in action, he's pretty cute.

#10 Messi? He's ADORABLE!

Seems like #7 was pretty Hawt on the field, but looking up that number only brings me to Ángel Di María, who is kind of a big eared duffas in all of his pics.

That long haired Adonis of a Goalie was killer, even if all he did was turf surf through the whole game. Searching for him resulted in

Mariano Andújar

and Diego Pozo

As they say around here, I wouldn't kick either one of those out of bed for eating crackers.

All the Germans were as cute as they could be... but all looked like "Jail Bait". Amie did mention that they were the youngest team on the field with their top scoring hero logging in a mear 20 years.

WAY to young for me!

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 03 Jul 2010, 21:42

ScarlettP wrote:WAY to young for me!
But they proved they know where the goal is, and that's what counts, is it not?
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Jul 2010, 21:47

Well, they didn't know where the goal was against the Germans. But then again, who would want to score on a German. :devious:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 03 Jul 2010, 22:38

Lety & E were actually talking about the Germans. Nevertheless, I agree with your second statement anyway. :p

I'm glad about Germany defeating Argentina (not sure why... I guess because of Maradona). As for Spain vs Paraguay, I only saw a summary of the match, so I'm not sure if it was a deserved victory for Spain (the Paraguayan goal keeper seemed to be doing quite a good job in particular, from the extracts I saw).

Wow. Quarter finals saw 3 of the 4 South American teams go home. Must have been a bit of a blow for the Latin Americans...
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 04 Jul 2010, 03:31

Yeah. That kind of sucks.

Big Hugs to Panda. Sorry buddy.

(And you are correct Zam. I meant that the German players were to young for me. Ethric quipped that they knew where the goal was. Kalah was still star struck by those amazingly good looking Argentina Goalies.)

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 04 Jul 2010, 08:54

Holland is getting there! :hoo:

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 04 Jul 2010, 11:02

Holland looks like a good, sturdy, mature team. We'll see if they can out run those German youths who so skillfully maneuver the ball back to their 'old pro' Klose to execute those precision goals.

Nice artical in the New York Times about the Argentina / Germany game.
The disappointment at watching Argentina’s entertaining show blow out like a candle in the wind beneath Cape Town’s Table Mountain is compensated in this embryonic German team like nothing we have seen before.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 04 Jul 2010, 17:36

Melchett: You looking forward to giving those Frenchies a damn good licking?
Darling: Uh, no sir, it’s the Germans we should be licking sir.
Melchett: Don’t be revolting Darling, I wouldn’t lick a German if he was glazed in honey!
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 04 Jul 2010, 18:53

:hoo:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Jul 2010, 22:02

Hoos seconded.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Jul 2010, 13:18

Zamolxis wrote: Wow. Quarter finals saw 3 of the 4 South American teams go home. Must have been a bit of a blow for the Latin Americans...
I'm particularly sad for Paraguay, more even than for Brazil. (Argentina losing make my day worth - actually, it's a dazzling light in our very hearts, that we'll just forgive The Netherlands and be happy altogether for four years starting by now).

They had such good defense, but they lacked so much of an efficient attack. But I didn't think Spain ought to win, because I couldn't really see much more superiority. Anyway, now that Germany is the next foe, I think it'll be so like a regular European match, as if Barcelona will be playing against some German team, so I don't think it'll be worth watching. What really interest me are the matches between two real different teams.

And Klose is so close to be the player with most goals scored in World Cups! :D I hope he does - maybe Ronaldo will lose some weight and try playing the next World Cup to recover his mark, since close must score just one more time to level Ronaldo with 15 goals. ;)

Now there's only Uruguay...but I really don't think they'll make it through The Netherlands. If they do, then I ought watching Germany vs Uruguay. Won't waste time with Holland vs Anything.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 05 Jul 2010, 16:32

Why the hell not?

The finals will be Holland VS Germany.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 06 Jul 2010, 14:03

I want to watch 2 teams from different continents, that's all. Not fun watching 2 European playing each other. Spanish and Germany, as far as I can tell, have different styles though. But I don't see much difference between Germany and The Netherlands.

But since I'll be in the middle of my flight to the North, it's likely that I'll be at the airport while the match is happening. So, I can watch it.

I DO HOPE THAT URUGUAY GET THERE. :tongue: But the odds are not favorable for them.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 06 Jul 2010, 17:55

Panda Tar wrote:I DO HOPE THAT URUGUAY GET THERE. :tongue: But the odds are not favorable for them.
Well if Robben continues to try and sway the members of the Academy for an Oscar nomination, :disagree: I will hope the Dutch go down. If however he actually uses his talent instead, then the Dutch going through may make for a better final.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 06 Jul 2010, 20:47

Great game, ending 2-3. :)

As for the acting bit, I thought the game had a good tone overall, and that the ref had a reasonable amount of control. If you're really worried about it, hope for one of those refs who really didn't buy any acting in the quarter finals.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 06 Jul 2010, 22:15

I myself hate seeing diving and lost the pool here I thought he'd dive in the first minute, but he waited until the 21st resulting in a yellow and then an immediate recovery. To be fair that really was the only dive I saw him make. The commentators here in the US, by the way here on ESPN the commentators are British, stated it was part of the Dutch team code of conduct to stay on the ground until they were sure no yellow card was be awarded.

Ruud Gullit (I am sure you remember him) is also an ESPN commentator and he told the story of a cleaning woman hoovering an apartment during a match, and when she accidently bumped the TV Robben fell.

Understand I love watching high level soccer like this even more than any US sport except our football, and believe the Dutch are too good to resort to theatrics, they just don’t need them.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 06 Jul 2010, 22:42

Congrats Valla! You're IN!

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 06 Jul 2010, 22:44

FINALIST BITCHES!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 06 Jul 2010, 22:53

... and now it's time for you to run into that Teutonic brick wall that is the teamgeist of Germany. :D

Seriously, I kinda hope Holland wins it, since they never have. And if Spain beat Germany in the semi, then indeed we will have a never-won-before champion.

Still, those pesky Germans. They win every time, don't they. They're always up there. Always coming back, like a zombie. My money is still on the trophy being lifted by Philipp Lahm.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 06 Jul 2010, 23:24

I also would like to see a new name on the trophy, but the British footballer, Gary Lineker, once defined soccer as a bunch of men running around for 90 minutes, the referee makes a mistake and Germany wins.

Return to “Campfire”