Whats the difference between a Wizard and a Sorceror?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Whats the difference between a Wizard and a Sorceror?

Unread postby Sure Valla » 23 Mar 2010, 16:28

So i was just watching this serie yesterday, called Legend of the Seeker (great, you should check it out) and you got this Wizard of the first Order, talking about magic and sorcerors

But whats the difference between a Wizard and a Sorceror?
Last edited by Sure Valla on 18 Apr 2013, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 23 Mar 2010, 16:52

Great? :|
From person responsible for Hercules and Xena? You must be kidding. :P
And yes I watched this series but only thanks to Bruce Spence. Story and acting were bad and... well, I don't know if was because of director or story based on the book(s).

Anyway - I can't tell you exactly what is difference between these two classes, bcause in Polish both of them has same meaning: Czarodziej.

But for me Sorceror is always inferior to Wizard. Sorceror is someone like Harry Porter - can cast some spells, do it often but he little know about "real" magic.

Wizard is like Gandalf - know much about magic, has knowledge about many other things and if he choose to fight - better run away.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Mar 2010, 17:00

The words have the same meaning in regular language. In fantasy and the like, I believe it's a matter of a difference in classes/magic schools. Mostly, a wizard is just the male term for witch, i.e. a male (real) magician. The sorcerer is a more specific term, commonly associated with dark arts, I think, because it relates to the word ensorcel, meaning bewitched - as in someone having taken control of your mind - which is generally not a positive term.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Mar 2010, 17:10

Aka: "you can use them however you like in your own fantasy setting"!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Mar 2010, 17:32

In your own setting, yes, probably ... but I'm sure that fantasy nuts will have very stringent rules for what sort of magician may or may not be called what.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 23 Mar 2010, 18:34

I am no native english speaker either. My take is that wizard is more related to wisdom, while sorcerer is more directly "skilled in magic". In other words, being a wizard would require higher intellectual skills than being a sorcerer.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 23 Mar 2010, 21:15

I always thought that wizard is meant to me a good mage while sorceror and conjurer - bad. In M&M games it's different though.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Mar 2010, 22:26

"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 24 Mar 2010, 13:55

That depends on interpretation of author. For example in D&D wizard is one that deals in magic as science with book and pointy hat, while sorcerer is person who has innate ability to use spells.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 24 Mar 2010, 22:41

Avonu wrote:Great? :|
From person responsible for Hercules and Xena? You must be kidding. :P
And yes I watched this series but only thanks to Bruce Spence. Story and acting were bad and... well, I don't know if was because of director or story based on the book(s).
The Sword Of Truth books are (IMO) a very good series. The series Legend of the Seeker is a decent adaptation, but a lot of things from the books have been mangled &/or taken out of order. The first season loosely follows "Wizards First Rule" (the first book), but uses story elements from several of the later books, and also completely changes the roles of the Book of Counted Shadows and the Boxes of Orden, as well as how they are used.

The second season is, roughly, following the second book's story, but again is drawing things from other books, as well as leaving out several of the major events (and so rewriting the story about them). In particular the rituals of the Mud People, and the collection of sorceror's sand on the way to the Palace of the Prophets.

If you have read the books, you already know what I am referring to. If not, I haven't given you any spoilers here.

In short, the TV series is OK, but nowhere near as good as the books (big surprise there, right? :D )
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Mar 2010, 10:12

Kalah wrote:In your own setting, yes, probably ... but I'm sure that fantasy nuts will have very stringent rules for what sort of magician may or may not be called what.
Their fantasy setting bleeding over in real life make little difference when it comes to his question....

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 24 Apr 2010, 18:23

Yeap, in real life it means the same thing, in fantasy you can do as you want and in MM universe a Wizard is a promoted Sorcerer.

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 25 Apr 2010, 06:18

Wizard: wears long grampa robes..
Sorceress: wears sexy clothes..

End of discussion.
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 25 Apr 2010, 08:41

[T]osHiro wrote:Sorceress: wears sexy clothes..

Yeah. Sorceress, but Sorcerers dont. :-D

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 25 Apr 2010, 08:51

Yeah, if you want skimpy clothes men you'll want a barbarian.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 25 Apr 2010, 08:52

Ethric wrote:Yeah, if you want skimpy clothes men you'll want a barbarian.
:lolu:

But Sorcerers are mostly skinny ;|
Barbarians aren't :proud:

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 25 Apr 2010, 19:14

Imo Sorcerer is someone who casts elemental magic spells, Wizard is someone who casts arcane magic spells (non-elemental, pure magic, and time-related magic). Dunno why really, that's just my interpretation.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 27 Apr 2010, 07:51

So wizard can't cast lightning or fireball (elemental spells)? :devil:

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 27 Apr 2010, 10:22

Imo Sorcerer is someone who casts elemental magic spells, Wizard...
Well most famous fictional wizard(or at leas on of the most() - Gandalf could dish out lightning like no tomorrow.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 30 Apr 2010, 22:56

I know my definition isn't completely true (not even by a long shot), it's just what comes up in my mind when I hear the words "sorcerer" or "wizard".

I also somehow associate sorcerers with evil, and wizards with good, or at least order - not nescesarily, just they would gravitate more towards those extremes. I know a wizard is by definition part of a society of wizards, otherwise he would be called a hedge-wizard (except for Diablo 3's wizard who actually is a hedge-wizard). So maybe you could also say that a Sorcerer is someone who trained himself, while a wizard is accepted into a guild of magic users, or something like that, and a hedge-wizard is actually banished from the guild of magic users or refuses to learn there.

Which would make the titles dependant on status rather than actual powers, and in that case Gandalf is definately a Wizard (I think this is how Tolkien used the word).
Look at his specific powers, however, and you would call him an Archmage.
Avonu wrote:So wizard can't cast lightning or fireball (elemental spells)? :devil:
Any mage worth it's while can throw a fireball, just sorcerers specifically train in that kind of thing.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is these words are used differently by different sources, they don't always mean the same thing, but when I hear the word "wizard" I think "arcane magic", and when I hear "Sorcerer" I think "elemental magic".
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Return to “Campfire”