Who knows how to make a game? (not a easy flash game)

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Who knows how to make a game? (not a easy flash game)

Unread postby Sure Valla » 15 Mar 2010, 16:17

Is there someone who knows how to make a game?
And i dont mean a flash or game maker game, but just a serious game like The Elder Scrolls

Please Post, or send a PM i've got some question i'd like to ask!

many thanks
Sure Valla
Last edited by Sure Valla on 18 Apr 2013, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 15 Mar 2010, 20:01

How about you just ask your questions here and we'll see if we can answer them. ;)
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 16 Mar 2010, 16:47

Kristo wrote:How about you just ask your questions here and we'll see if we can answer them. ;)
Ok, sounds good
I would like to create a first-person MMORPG, PVP
Mixing The Elder Scrolls 4, Oblivion with a MMORPG

If i can think of a game on my own, is it posible to submit my plans to some kind of gaming company who actully wants to create it?

Please find me the awnser!

Valla
Last edited by Sure Valla on 18 Apr 2013, 15:11, edited 2 times in total.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 16 Mar 2010, 22:26

Well, the biggest missing item that I can see is the business case for why a few hundred thousand people are going to buy/subscribe to your game. A game company is going to need that level of sales to recoup the massive investment needed to put a game like this together. So what makes your game the next gotta-have-it title? What sets your game apart from the competition?
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Mar 2010, 14:48

Well, it could have a distinct lack of DRM ... :creative:

Distribution should be simple, though. Torrent. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 17 Mar 2010, 16:28

:up: good one Kalah :D

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 17 Mar 2010, 16:54

Kristo, I need more people to decide what to add or remove in it, and where can i take these plans?

Is it posible?
Last edited by Sure Valla on 18 Apr 2013, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

pirvix
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby pirvix » 20 Mar 2010, 22:41

The simplest answer would be to go and find a game developing company/group. They would probably be the most interested in this idea of yours. Providing there is such a thing as a game developing company in your vicinity.(Such as here in slovenia, where there probably isn't)

Belive me, I too have thousands of ideas for great games lying about in my mind somewhere, but then I realized that I won't just sell these ideas to someone that would just happen to have a group of art designers and programmers willing to risk years of production and dedication(not to mention the money).
So now I started studying programming just to see how big of a thing game designing really is. After that we'll see where I go next.

So to make a very basic game all you would really need is some knowledge in programming. However this would make for a practically graphic-less game.
It's a totally different thing when it comes to games like Heroes 5 however.
Might and Magic X official website:
http://www.mightandmagic10.thegaminguniverse.com/

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 02 Apr 2010, 11:09

Do you think my idea passes through?

Or maybe some free mmorpg site (like Aeriagames) wants to create it?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Apr 2010, 11:48

Difficult to say. There are no doubt thousands of young men like you out there, who think they have great ideas (some may even have great ideas), so the competition will be stiff. I imagine that when amateurs come up with things like these, most game designers (if they see the idea) will think: "This is just a mix of Prince of Persia and Counterstrike - if we do this, we'll be sued." There may be many a source of inspiration for a game, and professionals tend to know where it stems from, whereas amateurs believe the idea originated within themselves.

Another matter is presentation. You need to have more than an idea. Say that you've got one - a good one. Then some designers get a whiff of it and decide to get in touch with you. They have some questions. You'd better have answers. If they ask you to fill in some concrete details about what you were thinking, you'd better not start your sentence with: "Well, I was sort of thinking ..." or they'll hang up the phone and say that you hadn't thought of several important things that needed to be thought of.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 02 Apr 2010, 17:37

slighty off topic but flash games are far from easy

I just spend my afternoon trying to make a few animations for a school project and it was quite annoying
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 03 Apr 2010, 08:39

Does the game look like Oblivion? :proud:

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 14 May 2010, 12:25

Mirez wrote:slighty off topic but flash games are far from easy

I just spend my afternoon trying to make a few animations for a school project and it was quite annoying
In my experience animating with flash is something everyone can learn. Programming flash games is something you need to really WANT to learn. Drawing stuff in flash though.. that takes talent, and some good tools like a drawing table and a scanner (which means you'll have to draw everything twice - once by hand and then once in flash, drawing over it).
Kalah wrote:I imagine that when amateurs come up with things like these, most game designers (if they see the idea) will think: "This is just a mix of Prince of Persia and Counterstrike - if we do this, we'll be sued."
Almost every game draws it's inspiration from another game.. They don't sue you for that. But still, the question is why would the gamers want to buy your game instead of the game it draws it's inspiration from.

Something else entirely is the fact that when people sit around the table to make a game, they probably don't start with a bunch of ideas about what it should be like. They start to think of the type of game they want to make, and then they decide how they want to handle it. If you come to them with a fully fleshed out idea, I think they would still change alot of it, because everybody has their own opinion and in a good game studio they listen to everybody to try and figure how it works out best. So don't expect them to make exactly what you want them to make. It might end up a very different kind of game..
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 14 May 2010, 18:48

Mirez wrote:slighty off topic but flash games are far from easy

I think he meant a regular/ordinary game, not one that's easy to make. Most Flash games are simple to play and have easy commands, but they are hard to do - tons os actions and scripts to work properly. If they were to grow complex in play and structure, the programmer would spend a real deal of his time on that project and, as mentioned, you must want to learn.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Return to “Campfire”