LARP (uber-nerd thread)

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
pirvix
Pixie
Pixie

LARP (uber-nerd thread)

Unread postby pirvix » 02 Nov 2009, 21:08

So, has anyone here ever Live-action roleplayed before?
I wanted to know if this spread over the globe and if there are any LARP groups in your area?
I'd be like to go LARPing some day (ah, the nerd that I am :D ) But for as much as I know, there aren't any LARPing groups anywhere near where I live....

And for those that haven't the slightest idea of what hells I'm nerding about :) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larp
Might and Magic X official website:
http://www.mightandmagic10.thegaminguniverse.com/

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 02 Nov 2009, 21:11

I never do it, I think it looks silly. But people who enjoy it, should have fun. I can still laugh at this :D!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 02 Nov 2009, 23:18

I did that once. Note the "once". I was handed a piece of paper that said I was Katarina LaCour and I was to seduce the count of the city. Or whatever he was...anyway, needless to say, I never returned again. It was way too weird for me.

:)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 03 Nov 2009, 05:03

I think I'd have some fun in one, but I don't know of any groups in my area (or in my country). It's basically a form of amateur acting :)
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 03 Nov 2009, 09:00

There's group in my city. They're very well organized and their costumes are really professional.
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 03 Nov 2009, 11:22

I've done it. Was pretty fun, but I was an NPC. Our group of orcs - I was dresses as Scarlett Pusswort, my net Namesake - was to ambush the player groups. The trick was, that at the time, there was "No such thing as a female orc." I've always found this sexist, but that's another story. MY orc stood at the 'campfire' with my back turned to the incoming group. The fact that I had two army helmets strapped to my chest as a bra was always good for a second of shock in which I could always get the first blow.

BTW - they didn't tell me I was supposed to COUNT my damage! I was basically told, "When you feel like you've been hit enough, drop dead."

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 08 Nov 2009, 10:57

Never done it but it seems cool to me :-D, even know its nerdy but i dont care............

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 14 Nov 2009, 19:19

:D
Last edited by Sure Valla on 17 Apr 2013, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 16 Nov 2009, 20:24

I went to Canada/USA Mathcamp the last two summers and participated in the "Interactive Literature" (I'm told that "LARP" usually connotes boffer swords, whereas they placed a larger emphasis on the story).

The one two summers ago was incredibly well-designed, with a deep backstory, and spellbooks with actual incantations (they made sure no-one in the game spoke Romanian, hehe).

Last summer was less well-designed with less of an overall plot, though still very fun. One of the subplots involved two senators on the run from the corporatist galactic government who are really spies for the Atlanteans, who had, thousands of years earlier, used their psychic superpowers to take the island up (not down). We all knew during the game they were senators on the run, but having Atlantis in there was totally unexpected.

A few weeks later, some friends of mine created a "Live Action Rug Convention" (in the spirit of Live Action Rock Paper Scissors from a year earlier, which I did not participate in). I was a rug collector named Leon who had never met another Leon before, even though there were four others with the exact same character sheet. Together, we spent the time on a quest to create the Division-By-Zero Grenades which alone had the power to stop the apocalyptic bear attack. As a result of that quest, I did not find out until afterwards that it was really a "rug" convention, and that there are certain types of "rug"'s which can give you superpowers while making you hallucinate. Still, I did have a "Soviet Rug -- it steps on you."

Return to “Campfire”