I need help how to reverse-engineer EXE files - assembly

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

I need help how to reverse-engineer EXE files - assembly

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 22 Mar 2009, 18:47

WoG experts,

I need help how to reverse-engineer EXE files - assembly debugging, de-compiler, that kind of tool - what can you expert recommend me?

The reason is that I'm desperate to find the offset in the Heroes 2 exe file where is buried the value 10, (0x0A) which is the multiplier for the damage of spells, FireBall, FireBlast, and Cold Ring. I want to change it to 13 like I did with Heroes 3.

So, what tools do you recommend?

Thanks.

emrysblack
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby emrysblack » 23 Mar 2009, 03:42

Can't you just do that with a hex-editor?

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 23 Mar 2009, 04:43

emrysblack wrote:Can't you just do that with a hex-editor?
Actually, yes, but finding the offset is the whole problem. Going through the game while using a debugger with well placed breakpoints would help me find it much more easily.

JackintheMox
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JackintheMox » 08 May 2009, 21:38

I know this post is a bit old but if you are still looking, I'd recommend becoming familiar with IDA Pro (http://www.hex-rays.com/idapro/) and the Windows Debugger and/or GDB to set breakpoints. I haven't reverse engineered any parts of Heroes 3 but I have done reverse engineering with malicious executables so I may be able to help with this project if you needed. Someone intimately familiar with editing the game may be able to help you more quickly though.

Return to “Wake of Gods”