Ancient .bik file access--how?

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
InsaneWallaby
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Ancient .bik file access--how?

Unread postby InsaneWallaby » 09 Jan 2007, 14:35

Hello all,

I was wondering--are there any utilities out there to get at the data inside these old movie files? It looks like the .bik file format used here was deprecated (probably some old beta version), and therefore the RAD tools do not work for extracting data. It is quite frustrating, because I somewhat need to get into these files. I'm dealing with the Heroes 3 videoes, which are within the some of the .vid files included with Heroes 3. I've gotten into the .vid files using the resedit program, but I have no idea how to get into the .bik files. I figured a WoG forum might have the most information on this, but if this is the wrong forum, feel free to move my post.

I didn't search long on the web, but I found hardly anything out there to address this topic. Are there any utilities that can extract the data from the deprecated .bik files? Or, are the only tools left on ancient floppies in somebody's cellar cabinet? I'm only 20, so unfortunately I doubt that I have any old beta versions of RAD tools laying around to get at these files, especially considering I just found out about 'em. Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 09 Jan 2007, 16:59

You are correct it is a beta. Probably the way around would be by using the game bik library. Though that would be work for someone skilled in programming. Told me if you will find the solution ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

InsaneWallaby
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby InsaneWallaby » 09 Jan 2007, 20:49

Interesting. Sounds ugly. Has anybody ever tried asking for the beta version from RAD? You'd have to be sly about it, though, since they have "No Game Support" tacked all over their website. Not sure if they'd give you it, anyways, though...especially since the error message tells you to rebink your original video files. Plus, who knows if they even have it anymore. Companies should always hold onto their old programs, but when the budget crunch and a lack of space hits ya, sometimes files have to go. Hrm.

Anyways, I guess it's something for me to think about. Eh, I'm sure there's probably a workaround somewhere, though. I'll have to do some thinking and looking around. It'll be an interesting addition of work to my project. I'll let you know when I come up with something.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 09 Jan 2007, 23:53

Thanks ;)

Between us it's version 0.5b of Bink, responsible library is, of course, binkw32.dll. And yes, I tried all not beta version of RAD Tools which were available, but on theirs site is clearly stated that you must "rebink".

Under linux they were doing experiments with it as like with the bik format however I'm inapt to use them to rescue the video. Though is probably because I'm not programmer... (No need to ask for link, I do not remember it is more than year back....)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

InsaneWallaby
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby InsaneWallaby » 11 Jan 2007, 08:17

Making progress. Sort of cheating, I suppose...just brute-forced it, and grabbed the images directly out using Java. Crude, and not quite as easy on the user side, but effective nonetheless, and for me a TON easier to make. But, anyways, if anybody cares besides Pol, I'm pulling out the images smoothly now, and quickly enough that I keep up with frame right to where the movie difference is essentially nonexistent, so I've got silent videos.

I'll get the sound going sometime over the next few days, and then make my program into something usable by people who are not me. It is a simple program, really, though...just start it up, select a directory and file name, record what you want, stop it, select the first image, and select the last image (pictures provided). Excess pictures will be deleted automatically. Then, you can use RAD tools to smack your stuff. Anyways, bedtime. Yay, GMT-6. Maybe you'll get lucky, and I'll get iced in on Friday to where I can work on this all day and polish it up.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 25 Jan 2007, 10:49

Here's my tool: http://www.grayface.nm.ru/RSBinkPlayer.rar
It can play both old and new formats if you put the new version of binkw32.dll under its name and rename the old one into 'binkw32old.dll'. Or you can rename the new one into binkw32new.dll.
It can also play .smk files when smackw32.dll in in its folder.
I made it some a few weeks ago, but was a bit lazy and haven't put it into Map Archives or somewhere else.
Yet, it doesn't play sound in .bik files.

Keys: Esc, L, O, S, Left, Right, Space, Page Up, Page Down
Last edited by Anonymous on 25 Jan 2007, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Jan 2007, 11:18

Great :-D
"We made it!"

InsaneWallaby
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby InsaneWallaby » 29 Jan 2007, 03:30

Excellent. I don't exactly have anything to play .bik files, but I am finding a good amount of success extracting these videos. I've not had much experience in the area required for looking into this stuff, and I essentially needed the images anyways, so I've created some simple utilities for myself to get these images out.

Anyways, you state that your utility plays the bik files, but does it actually delve into them so that I may extract the video and sound directly? I will download it shortly to find out. Even if it doesn't, however, it will still be useful, since I won't have to start up Heroes 3 each time to grab some more videos. Many thanks.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 30 Jan 2007, 10:12

InsaneWallaby wrote:Anyways, you state that your utility plays the bik files, but does it actually delve into them so that I may extract the video and sound directly? I will download it shortly to find out. Even if it doesn't, however, it will still be useful, since I won't have to start up Heroes 3 each time to grab some more videos. Many thanks.
It extracts frames when you press S key. But it doesn't play sound for .bik files.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 08 Mar 2007, 10:23

The new version is ready: http://www.grayface.nm.ru/RSBinkPlayer.rar
Now it supports sound for .bik files. (doesn't work for old binkw32.dll versions)
Pictures file names now begin with zeroes.
New keys added: Alt+Enter, Home, End and Ctrl+Z in case you accidently pressed Home or End.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 08 Mar 2007, 13:10

Great :D

You are so perfect, that I cannot say.
"We made it!"

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 08 Mar 2007, 13:16

Thanx

I just found a small bug and added frame number preview toggled by V. The URL is the same.

InsaneWallaby
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby InsaneWallaby » 09 Mar 2007, 14:45

I have not had time to use it, nor have I had the need to after laboriously extracting frames directly from the two intro videos that I required, but I looked at it once, and it was quite nifty. I'd had need to extract other videos as well, and I haven't really dealt much with programming around DLLs, so that was the reason for direct extraction, if you are curious as to why I was doing it that way. I'll probably be using your utility a year down the road or so; I've got a lot of other stuff to do before I need it again. Thanks for the utility!

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 16 Mar 2007, 16:56

Here's another new version: http://www.grayface.nm.ru/RSBinkPlayer.rar
[+] The cursor is hidden in FullScreen mode
[+] Faster rewind when stepping from the last frame to the first
[+] Enchanced DgDn-PgUp
[-] Workaround added for Bink and Smack thread synchronization bug
[-] A bug with PgUp-PgDn if the current directory differs from the file's one

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 Mar 2007, 18:04

I think you are goldie :tongue:
"We made it!"

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 25 Mar 2007, 16:46

The new version is at the same address: http://www.grayface.nm.ru/RSBinkPlayer.rar
[+] A bit faster switching between videos
[+] Halftone stretching mode (H key)
[+] Deactivation Pause option (D key)
[-] Better workaround for Bink and Smack thread synchronization bug
[-] Automatic minimize on deactivate in fullscreen mode

uhm
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Ancient .bik file access--how?

Unread postby uhm » 16 Jun 2023, 07:00

Hello! The link to the download is dead, can someone reupload BinkPlayer? I am trying to get to MM7 proto videos :P

EDIT: Nevermind, I've found it, here is mirror:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahfxr6a8tP2F8mdih02T6E_rpm5_
Needs bink32w from MM7 proto folder, cinematics displays poorly, cropped, red, without sound, but hey, at least shows what's inside :P

Return to “Wake of Gods”