Placed vs Timed Events / Troop Losses

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Placed vs Timed Events / Troop Losses

Unread postby Bethel » 23 Dec 2006, 22:27

I'm making a WoG map with a necromancer hero. I want her to lose forces occasionally when she hits the sunlight, but there is no way of knowing exactly when this will happen in gameplay. Is there a way of placing an event with a troop loss script?

And of course, the hard part, as I don't do anything but very basic scripting. (Darn, but I miss MSBasic. If-Then statements - those I could handle.) If placed events are possible, can someone write one up? I want her to lose no more than 10 percent of each stack at any given time. I know there was a thread relating to this, but don't see any familiar topics in the listings that would point me to it.

Thank you so very much!! Right now she's relegated to using sunblock.

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Placed vs Timed Events / Troop Losses

Unread postby Fnord » 23 Dec 2006, 22:46

Bethel wrote:I'm making a WoG map with a necromancer hero. I want her to lose forces occasionally when she hits the sunlight, but there is no way of knowing exactly when this will happen in gameplay. Is there a way of placing an event with a troop loss script?

And of course, the hard part, as I don't do anything but very basic scripting. (Darn, but I miss MSBasic. If-Then statements - those I could handle.) If placed events are possible, can someone write one up? I want her to lose no more than 10 percent of each stack at any given time. I know there was a thread relating to this, but don't see any familiar topics in the listings that would point me to it.

Thank you so very much!! Right now she's relegated to using sunblock.
So what is it you want to do exactly? Do you want to sprinkle blue placed events around the surface of the map? Or would you prefer to use something like the hero movement trigger and a random chance (a check could be made to see if the hero is on the surface or undergroud)?
- Fnord

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 23 Dec 2006, 22:52

Which ever one is easiest. I was just looking at ERM Scripting for Dummies and it looked like I would have to put something in timed events. If I do it as a random chance once V hits the surface the script would have to know when she goes back underground. Otherwise, if I place blue events I would need to make sure that they can't be avoided.

She should have a truckload of liches by then, and even with feeding the 'fleshlings' troops in timed city events I don't want the battles to be too easy. And, of course, the more battles she wins, the more liches she'll be getting.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 24 Dec 2006, 09:31

I think doing it by hero move triggger is going to be easier, particularly when it comes to balancing (and srcripting- you'd have to create one line of code for each event!), but OTOH, it's going to drain more computer resources.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 24 Dec 2006, 17:44

I don't think I'll have more than 5 instances, as that's how many computer kingdoms are on the top level.

On the other hand, if I can't figure out what the 'sprite not found' error is, it may all become a moot point.

:|

Beholder
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Beholder » 25 Dec 2006, 10:31

you could make a hero movement trigger (HM) and check it`s position. If z=0 then he`s on the surface - thus prone to daylight and you can kill some of his army.
Beholder

Return to “Wake of Gods”