campaign intro movie vignettes not playing from fresh instal

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
Gay Lord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

campaign intro movie vignettes not playing from fresh instal

Unread postby Gay Lord » 11 Dec 2006, 20:48

I have a clean install of H3 and WOG. Everything works fine. However, when I start a campaign, the movie never plays. I can see the text scrolling underneath and hear the sounds, but I can't see the movie. Also, If I die/lose, I hear but don't see the execution video.

EDIT: I should clarify. If I start the game with the old heroes3.exe then I can hear sounds/voices and see the videos. If I start with the h3wog.exe I cannot see or hear anything. If I start with h3 and then start later with wog, then I can hear sounds, but not voices. Wog is somehow blocking the videos/sounds.

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: campaign intro movie vignettes not playing from fresh in

Unread postby Fnord » 12 Dec 2006, 01:45

Gay Lord wrote:I have a clean install of H3 and WOG. Everything works fine. However, when I start a campaign, the movie never plays. I can see the text scrolling underneath and hear the sounds, but I can't see the movie. Also, If I die/lose, I hear but don't see the execution video.

EDIT: I should clarify. If I start the game with the old heroes3.exe then I can hear sounds/voices and see the videos. If I start with the h3wog.exe I cannot see or hear anything. If I start with h3 and then start later with wog, then I can hear sounds, but not voices. Wog is somehow blocking the videos/sounds.
Do you have the SoD (or H3 Complete CD) in the drive when playing WoG?
- Fnord

Gay Lord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gay Lord » 12 Dec 2006, 02:00

No, I didn't.

I have tried again with my h3 complete cd in the drive and now the movie appears, along with music, but no voices.

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 12 Dec 2006, 05:28

Gay Lord wrote:No, I didn't.

I have tried again with my h3 complete cd in the drive and now the movie appears, along with music, but no voices.
Okay. Which campaign are you playing? If it's a WoG campaign, I think they don't include voices. If it's one of the original ones (RoE or AB), then probably the voices should be there..perhaps there's a setting to change?
- Fnord

Beholder
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Beholder » 12 Dec 2006, 08:29

I remember having problems with videos as well. There was sound and subtitles but no animations. I thought it`s just the way it was with wog...
Beholder

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 12 Dec 2006, 15:46

Beholder wrote:I remember having problems with videos as well. There was sound and subtitles but no animations. I thought it`s just the way it was with wog...
The movies are on the CD. Since WoG doesn't require the CD in the drive, if the disc is not present, the movies cannot play. The subtitles and custom sounds are part of the campaign file, so the game can always show them.

Gay Lord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gay Lord » 12 Dec 2006, 20:16

Fnord, I am playing the Armageddon's Blade campaign with the first mapset: armageddon's blade.

If there is a setting (and I hope there is) then I don't know where it is. I have updated WOG with the extra battlefields and videos, and checked the extra bf in the wog options. I don't see anything there for extra video options.

Maybe I shouldn't include the video update?
Qurqirish Dragon wrote: The movies are on the CD. Since WoG doesn't require the CD in the drive, if the disc is not present, the movies cannot play. The subtitles and custom sounds are part of the campaign file, so the game can always show them.
Good to know. What about the voices? Is it possible the voice files have been renamed or aren't being accessed?

btw, are you the same QD from the AW site?

PS - I included some error images that I got playing the second map of this mapset (the one with gelu) in my last post and they disappeared. Here they are again.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/ ... error1.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/ ... error2.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/ ... error3.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/ ... error4.jpg

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 13 Dec 2006, 01:23

Gay Lord wrote:Fnord, I am playing the Armageddon's Blade campaign with the first mapset: armageddon's blade.

If there is a setting (and I hope there is) then I don't know where it is. I have updated WOG with the extra battlefields and videos, and checked the extra bf in the wog options. I don't see anything there for extra video options.

Maybe I shouldn't include the video update?
I just tried it and I'm not getting any voices either for AB (or RoE) campaigns run under WoG 3.58f. I don't know if this is normal behavior for WoG or not (it may be). I doubt the video update (for the WoG campaign) overwrote any sound files but I suppose anything's possible.

I guess the only options are for sound effects, music, video quality (high and low) and to show or not show the subtitles, and none of those seem to enable the voices.

Gay Lord wrote: Good to know. What about the voices? Is it possible the voice files have been renamed or aren't being accessed?
It's possible..I really don't know. I've never tried playing the standard campaigns with WoG myself.
- Fnord

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 13 Dec 2006, 01:27

I'm not positive but I have a feeling that under certain (somewhat rare) conditions, there was a problem with the UN:U command. I think Slava fixed it in the 3.59 code (and no, 3.59 is not done or even close to being done nor currently being worked on by Slava, but he did add some new ERM and fix a handful of bugs awhile back).
- Fnord

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 13 Dec 2006, 15:28

Gay Lord wrote:
Qurqirish Dragon wrote: The movies are on the CD. Since WoG doesn't require the CD in the drive, if the disc is not present, the movies cannot play. The subtitles and custom sounds are part of the campaign file, so the game can always show them.
Good to know. What about the voices? Is it possible the voice files have been renamed or aren't being accessed?

btw, are you the same QD from the AW site?
I don't know about the voices, but I would guess that they are part of the movie file.

And yes, I am the same QD from the Astral Wizard site (although, I was usually abbreviated QQD there, since QD was already used for the Quebec Dragon.)

NeXaR
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby NeXaR » 14 Dec 2006, 05:22

Only in the game intro the voices are part of the video file. In campaign map prologues, voices are read from h3sound.snd from your CD, and animations from the .vid file, though now I can't remember if it were the vid in the data folder or the vid on the cd...
Common sense is commonless of senses

Gay Lord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gay Lord » 15 Dec 2006, 19:59

Thank you all so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

One last question. Is there a way to give yourself a certain item? In the third(?) map of the arm blade mapset, you are required to get three items. Wogifying the map replaced one of the items so that now I can't finish the mission. And I didn't discover this until the end of the map.

I need to give myself the Sword of Hellfire. Is there a code, or command, or something, to do this?

Return to “Wake of Gods”