Help a newbie =(

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
kibinimat
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Help a newbie =(

Unread postby kibinimat » 25 Nov 2006, 16:49

Well, I'm pretty new to WoG, and I must say it looks great =)
though I have a problem, almost every time I try wogify a map I get many errors and even crashes. I have only managed to wogify one or two maps, and even when I try to wogify the original WoG campaigns I get errors and crashes. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong here, I'd be glad to get some help.
P.S I have newest version as far as I know, 3.58f.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Re: Help a newbie =(

Unread postby vhilhu » 25 Nov 2006, 18:03

kibinimat wrote:even when I try to wogify the original WoG campaigns I get errors and crashes
DO NOT wogify any WOG map with scripts(like the WOG campaigns and most maps made for wog), wogify only maps that dont have scripts in them(like original RoE/AB/SoD campaigns and original scenarios like Realm_of_Chaos and the rest).

on WOG maps, WOG stuff will be there anyway. on ordinary maps, you need to wogify to get WOG stuff. not the other way round.

kibinimat
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kibinimat » 25 Nov 2006, 18:29

But when i start a WoG map for example, without Wogifying, I can't hire a commander. How come? :S

Psyringe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Psyringe » 25 Nov 2006, 18:36

What vhilhu said. :)

Also, I wouldn't recommend to wogify the original campaigns. I tried it it and while it worked on some campaigns, there were others that crashed. Problems involved victory conditions not triggering (in RoE there is a campaign where you have to flag seven griffin dwellings, I did so but victory didn't trigger and I had to enter a cheat to complete the map), and game crashing at map initialization when artifacts were supposed to be carried over.

My personal rules of thumb:

- WoGification works absolutely great for random maps.

- WoGification works *most* of the time as well on pre-built maps and campaigns, but a small risk remains that things might go wrong, especially in campaigns.

- WoGification should *never* be used with maps or campaigns that already are in the WoG format (unless an accompanied readme says so), because it will most likely break scripts that these maps already have.

Psyringe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Psyringe » 25 Nov 2006, 18:45

kibinimat wrote:But when i start a WoG map for example, without Wogifying, I can't hire a commander. How come? :S
Usually you don't have to hire commanders, they come automatically with your heroes. There is however a WoG setting (labeled "Commanders must be hired") which changes this behavior. You may want to check this setting, although I'm not whether this setting can interfere with your game if you don't WoGify your map (I'm pretty new to WoG myself).

(Edit: The following paragraph turned out to be wrong, check Pol's posting which follows mine.)
Another possibility I see is that there may be WoG maps made from previous WoG versions, which didn't have commanders. Which would be a little awkward since you wouldn't have commanders in the map, but couldn't easily add them by WoGification, because WoGification would, while adding commander functionality, also break other scripts of said map. In that case I'd try to very carefully specify what should be changed during WoGification (the WoG options are very powerful in that regard).

But as I said, I'm only guessing here, and I might be totally wrong. People like Fnord or Pol will certainly be able to provide much better answers. :)
Last edited by Psyringe on 25 Nov 2006, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Nov 2006, 19:22

Hello ;)

In the wogify dialog, found next Show available scenarios in the main map menu, you can turn on/off all options coming with wog addon.

Commanders are hardcoded option (first tab) so they can be used apart of other various map wogification scripts. In fact all other options can be used even if you don't decide to wogify the maps. Wogification itself can be controled from Objects and Artifacts tab.

Anyway on true wog maps all settings are usually tweaked up by authors though is not recommended from the balance reason. Despite it, it often works.

Once is hardcoded option turned on it will work independently on your acceptance over wogify this map yes/no window. :devious:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

kibinimat
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kibinimat » 26 Nov 2006, 11:08

I'm afraid i still don't understand :/
I downloaded some maps from the official WoG website. I can only wogify a few of them, and in the ones i can wogify i get the WoG features like creatures ranks and the commanders. on the ones i can't wogify i don't get all these features eventhough these are WoG maps (I also tried changing some of the WoG options when selecting a map, it didn't help either).
What's wrong? :(

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 26 Nov 2006, 14:11

If a map has scripts built into it (such as most WoG-format maps), then your chosen options in the WoG options will not take effect unless you WoGify the map.

If a WoG format map does not give you commanders, then the scripts within the map do not have this activated.

With respect to the WoG campaigns, since they were designed before commanders existed, none of them have commanders active (and for many of the maps, adding them in would break the map- even if no errors occurred)

EDN
Scout
Scout

Unread postby EDN » 26 Nov 2006, 22:33

Another suggestion would be just to play and WoGify the old maps :creative:

Return to “Wake of Gods”