Map format used by WOG - for writing random map generator+

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
L_Devil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Map format used by WOG - for writing random map generator+

Unread postby L_Devil » 08 Oct 2006, 12:42

Hello!

I want to spend my free time on writing external random map generator in C++ for Heroes III: WOG. It'll be capable of generating lands and, whats more interesting, scenarios. So, it'll be able to set special objectives, story background, etc. I plan to makes script language for this application, to make everybody makes their own random scenarios. But, I have a problem: I can't find map format, used by Heroes III. If someone know it, I'll be very glad for reciving link to it ;) I need structure of h3m file. Thanks in advance :)
Raise the flag of piracy, sing the song of victory
Glorious in battle are we
We've never known defeat, we never will retreat.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 08 Oct 2006, 17:14

I asked rest of WoG team what we can do for you. Little patience please :)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

L_Devil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby L_Devil » 26 Oct 2006, 18:33

Ok, I'm still waiting...

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 27 Oct 2006, 11:39

What you want to do is a very hard task.
First of all, look at http://heroes.ag.ru/h3/rmg/smedstad.zip - it's a presentation that briefly describes standard RMG behavior.
As for the maps format it isn't completely studied yet. There is a document with a big part of format described, but it's in Russian.
What really worths making is RMG.txt tamplates editor. This file has big potential and is studied quite good.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 27 Oct 2006, 19:16

GrayFace wrote:What really worths making is RMG.txt tamplates editor. This file has big potential and is studied quite good.
numi aka Gamesgodsplay wrote an RMG template editor in HTML. I don't recall if it was completely finished or not, however as I only tried it out a little bit but I do have the file if anyone wants it.
- Fnord

L_Devil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby L_Devil » 27 Oct 2006, 20:01

GrayFace wrote:here is a document with a big part of format described, but it's in Russian.
I know the Russian a little (reading in cyrilic, and something else ;) ) So you can show me the link to this documentation ;)

@Fnord -> If you could, send me it. I'll be glad for it ;)

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 28 Oct 2006, 03:44

L_Devil wrote:
GrayFace wrote:here is a document with a big part of format described, but it's in Russian.
I know the Russian a little (reading in cyrilic, and something else ;) ) So you can show me the link to this documentation ;)

@Fnord -> If you could, send me it. I'll be glad for it ;)
Actually, you can find numi's RMG editor in the wakeofgodsmaparchive Yahoo group at the very bottom of the file section (there are other interesting utilities there too as well as in the other wog map archive), but if you don't wish to join this group, give me your email and I'll email you the file instead.

Here's the group URL if you want to join it:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/wak ... ive/files/
- Fnord

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 28 Oct 2006, 14:44

Fnord wrote:
GrayFace wrote:What really worths making is RMG.txt tamplates editor. This file has big potential and is studied quite good.
numi aka Gamesgodsplay wrote an RMG template editor in HTML. I don't recall if it was completely finished or not, however as I only tried it out a little bit but I do have the file if anyone wants it.
Yes, it was the first thing I read about RMG, but 8 zones may be enough only for small or medium map with a few (few is 1-4, you know) players on it. A map with more players on 8 zones will be too poor.

Here is the topic with RMG description in Russian: http://forum.df2.ru/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=1958&st=0
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

L_Devil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby L_Devil » 05 Dec 2006, 13:40

Thanks a lot. I'm currently finishing program's script, next will be a real programming itself. I'm very glad for h3m documentation, but it looks it's unfinished (and the missing part has great important to me) - there is no description of standard object and their preferences placed on the map (f.e. border guards, quest guards, etc.). But I can try to figure that one myself ;)
All rights then, time to hard work ;)

aah, and sorry for my long absent. I has a bit serious disease and I was in hospital. Hopefully it's now all right with my health ;)

i-o_nut
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

File format

Unread postby i-o_nut » 27 Jun 2007, 16:25

Hello guys,

Sorry for the off topic, i've been trying to get some information about the h3m file format, and this is as close i got. Can you please direct me on where to find a set of specifications for the file format?

Thank you,

I/O Nut

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 Jun 2007, 23:03

Well, we are officially hiding it behind the wall of wakeofgodsteam. But if you know russian I think that you may look for as it was probably leaked somewhere anyway.

As far as I remember document is still omitting some aspect though. So best would be to contact GrayFace by PM.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

i-o_nut
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby i-o_nut » 30 Jun 2007, 18:31

Hello again,

Thanks for the reply Pol unfortunately GrayFace did not answer my PM's so i am back to square one. I don't know russian so i have no chance in finding any specs there. So if anyone else knows a way to help me get my hands on the h3m file format i would be gratefull.

Best regards,

I/O Nut

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 30 Jun 2007, 19:47

Hmm, that's problem. I assume only way is leading through the grayface... perhaps a bit of patience? He is not here on everyday basis.
"We made it!"

i-o_nut
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby i-o_nut » 31 Jul 2007, 15:45

Well i think some time has passed now :P but grayface is still under the radar, so any ideas?

I/O Nut

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 14 Sep 2007, 16:08

Here I am. :) Somehow there were no notifications of PMs sent to my email. As you see, I visit this forum very rearly, so the best way to contact me is to use email or ICQ.
So, what is it you need the map format for?

i-o_nut
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby i-o_nut » 14 Sep 2007, 18:56

Hello,

Great to hear from you GrayFace. Can you give me your e-mail or ICQ so we can talk?

I/O Nut

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 14 Sep 2007, 19:37

Umm, his email is under one of these small buttons on the bottom of his reply.
"We made it!"

i-o_nut
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby i-o_nut » 14 Sep 2007, 20:30

Thanks pol,

Didn't notice the e-mail. Sent out an e-mail but was hoping more for the icq contact. Waiting for GrayFace ... man ... you are my only hope.

I/O Nut

Return to “Wake of Gods”