Help in dealing with DEF files

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
NeXaR
Peasant
Peasant

Help in dealing with DEF files

Unread postby NeXaR » 29 Sep 2006, 15:00

I guess this is not strictly related to WoG, but I think some people here could help.

A little team of people at La Torre de Marfil is working in a Heroes 3 Complete full translation into spanish. We have almost made it, the only thing left is the interface buttons (like the buttons for main menu options). I already found how to extract def frames into bmp, and edited them, but when I try to import them into the new DEF and save it, def maker says something like "I/O error 131" or something like that. I know for sure that it must be my fault, but I've not figured why. Can any of you point me to a detailed tutorial to see if I can find my mistake?

Thanks in advance :)

NeXaR
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby NeXaR » 05 Oct 2006, 08:06

Well, thanks I guess :(

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 05 Oct 2006, 17:27

NeXaR wrote:Well, thanks I guess :(
You could try asking in the Heroes Community WoG forum as well. There seem to be more graphics experimental people posting there so maybe someone would know. Or it's possible that nobody knows the answer.
- Fnord

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 05 Oct 2006, 17:42

was h3 in russian and chinese already before wog? if not, you can try to find those people, i really dont know how.

NeXaR
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby NeXaR » 05 Oct 2006, 17:49

Fnord wrote:
NeXaR wrote:Well, thanks I guess :(
You could try asking in the Heroes Community WoG forum as well. There seem to be more graphics experimental people posting there so maybe someone would know. Or it's possible that nobody knows the answer.
Thanks, I'll try that

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 10 Oct 2006, 14:05

There are two problems with defs' cadres: they must all have one palette and special colors, like shadow and background must be at right places in palette. Use H3DefTool from MapArchives2 to do this. It can also generate a shadow better than DefMaker.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

NeXaR
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby NeXaR » 11 Oct 2006, 06:58

Thanks

NeXaR
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby NeXaR » 16 Oct 2006, 07:31

I said I was going to try h3deftool... but i can't find it, can any of you give me a link?

And, I already supposed the problem may be related to palette, the point is... is there some kind of tutorial out there? I say it because in WoG boards many people show graphics made by themselves (that actually works, not like mine :P) but I can't find where they learned how this palette/shadows thing is supposed to work on heroes III exactly.

BTW, to skip a possible palette problem, if I create a pic and import the palette from another (working) one, it is supposed to work fine, right?

And lastly, i was using photoshop for the main works... is any other program more recommended for heroes III art?

bigjocker
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bigjocker » 16 Oct 2006, 09:07

Picture must be 256color bitmap file. It must be the same size as it was before replacing. First ten palette colours are specifick:
1.00ffff
2.ff96ff
3.ff64ff
4.ff32ff
5.ff00ff
6.ffff00
7.b400ff
8.00ff00
9.ff80ff
10.ff80ff

THese are the codes of first ten cpecial palette colours. All other colors may be such as you wish, but not similar to first ten. I hope it will help you.

NeXaR
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby NeXaR » 16 Oct 2006, 09:09

A thousand thanks!!!

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 25 Oct 2006, 19:17

bigjocker wrote:Picture must be 256color bitmap file. It must be the same size as it was before replacing. First ten palette colours are specifick:
Actually, only 8 of them metter, other two are in standard def's, but they aren't neccessary. Also, the format allows you to make defs with 256 colors plus standard 8, it would be used in the next DefTool.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Return to “Wake of Gods”