WoG for Mac?

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
Demonpants
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

WoG for Mac?

Unread postby Demonpants » 31 May 2006, 17:32

I'm sure this question is posted often enough, but I didn't see any results using the search feature in this forum so I'm asking anyway.

Is there any way that WoG will be ported to the Mac? If not, what language is it in, as maybe I can do the porting myself (depending on how much I would have to re-code) Is there any roundabout way to get everything in the proper directories so that I don't even need the .exe installer?

Can I get the event driven map editor without the rest of the expansion?

Thanks.

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: WoG for Mac?

Unread postby Fnord » 01 Jun 2006, 05:22

Demonpants wrote:I'm sure this question is posted often enough, but I didn't see any results using the search feature in this forum so I'm asking anyway.

Is there any way that WoG will be ported to the Mac? If not, what language is it in, as maybe I can do the porting myself (depending on how much I would have to re-code) Is there any roundabout way to get everything in the proper directories so that I don't even need the .exe installer?

Can I get the event driven map editor without the rest of the expansion?

Thanks.
I suppose Slava would really have to answer this if you want a definitive answer since he's not in the forums too often I'll try and give you an answer from what I know.

I'm pretty certain WoG will never be ported to the Mac by Slava. As far as I know he doesn't own a Mac and I don't know if he has programming experience with one.

I don't know enough about the technical difference between PCs and Macs to know if it's possible to make a port or not.

WoG was made with the PC SoD executable but without any source code. Slava used a hex editor and then added his own code on the end, written in C++. SoD is required to be on the computer before WoG can be installed.

The WoG installation files are in an RAR format (I believe) so I imagine most if not all of them could be installed without the installer...but I don't know for sure.
- Fnord

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 01 Jun 2006, 10:35

I'm pretty sure that Macs can run linux without any problems. Therefore again thru winex it could be possible.

;| "However I'm aware that this not seems like a big help for these who have already H3 Mac version, but it's a way...."

Unfortunately the executable files in any OS are different, therefore no way to applying the current WoG over Mac H3 version, sorry...
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

seancdaug
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby seancdaug » 05 Jun 2006, 01:22

Pol wrote:I'm pretty sure that Macs can run linux without any problems. Therefore again thru winex it could be possible.
For the newer Intel-based Macs, maybe. But Wine Is Not an Emulator: it's a compatibility layer that allows Windows binaries to run under Linux. Those binaries ultimately still cannot be executed on any platform other than the one they were compiled under (meaning an Intel/AMD compatible x86 processor). More simply, Wine will not run under PowerPC Linux, so that's not gonna help. You might possibly be able to get it running under something like VirtualPC, though, and BootCamping Windows on the newer Intel Macs should get the job done, too, provided you've got a copy of Windows somewhere (admittedly, this may be a rather big "if").

Shark
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shark » 08 Jun 2006, 13:19

theres no way to port it to Mac except for compiling the whole source code (which you dont have), and since the assembly langs are waay to different (try debuging w32 apps and Mac ones and you'll see the difference) there would be no way of running WoG on any Mac HOMM...
the only way i see it would be to copy/paste (and adapt) the source code to a new project and compile it on a Mac architecture (i dunno if Macs have any Cpp compilers though) which would work ok...
OR, ask slava for WoG source, compile it on a Mac and do what he did -- just add it in...

Return to “Wake of Gods”