Installation problems

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
Innocentius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Installation problems

Unread postby Innocentius » 30 Apr 2006, 16:33

When I try to install the game it asks me to select the language and then tells me that my settings should be set to English/Usa before installation then closes out to the desktop.

I have opened all the files in winrar and all are fine
My settings are on English/USA
I tried turning off all background prgrams such as Virus shield/firewall
I have Windows XP
I have Heroes III Complete Edition

Thanks for any and all help... I just now heard this game existed and cant wait to play :)

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Installation problems

Unread postby Fnord » 30 Apr 2006, 20:52

Innocentius wrote:When I try to install the game it asks me to select the language and then tells me that my settings should be set to English/Usa before installation then closes out to the desktop.

I have opened all the files in winrar and all are fine
My settings are on English/USA
I tried turning off all background prgrams such as Virus shield/firewall
I have Windows XP
I have Heroes III Complete Edition

Thanks for any and all help... I just now heard this game existed and cant wait to play :)
I have no idea what the cause of this is but I suggest to do a complete uninstall of Heroes 3 Complete and delete or rename any remaining folders.

Also, if possible, search through the registry after and delete any reference to H3 Complete and/or WoG.

Then reboot and do a clean install of H3 Complete. Make sure it works. Then install WoG on top of that.

If you do all that and it still doesn't work, I'm totally stumped.

But perhaps someone else has ideas.
- Fnord

Innocentius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Innocentius » 01 May 2006, 03:28

hmm tried that and had the same results :( .. the only thing I see that might be causing it is the box under advanced (in regional/language settings) that says Default user account settings will not stay checked, though maybe its not supposed to stay checked, not really sure.

Innocentius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Innocentius » 01 May 2006, 03:32

Also perhaps Im not downloading it to the correct place? I have been putting it in UPDATE folder iIcreated in Heroes III directory then I tried putting it in data and had the same results each time.

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 01 May 2006, 06:37

Innocentius wrote:Also perhaps Im not downloading it to the correct place? I have been putting it in UPDATE folder iIcreated in Heroes III directory then I tried putting it in data and had the same results each time.
When installing WoG, you should unarchive the setup files to another non-Heroes folder and run setup from there (if I remember correctly).
- Fnord

Innocentius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Innocentius » 02 May 2006, 00:26

alas the outcome is still the same... is there some roundabout way to install the game without using the icon?

Shark
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shark » 02 May 2006, 21:39

the whole installation process is there to ensure that the game (WoG) installed okay(ish)... without that, you would surely have much bigger problems which wouldn't be detected as easily...

my suggestion -- just keep trying.... Delete all HOMM data you have (registry), you can backup your saves if you want (Altho they're useless)
download the allinone.zip file (or .rar, doesn't matter). Extract it to.... lets say C:\WoGtemp, install RoE, run the game, install AB, run the game, install SoD, run the game, install WoG (do NOT apply nocd cracks or any patches if you can't run the game, WoG will do all that for you) try to run the game, download additional WoG stuff, put in the updates folder and you're done...

and if it still doesn't work -- well i don't know... i know my HOMM game wouldn't run because the setup check failed me at RAM and CPU tests, but WoG doesn't care for any of those checks (same goes for CD checks) so you're fine from that point....

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 13 May 2006, 03:11

Shark wrote:the whole installation process is there to ensure that the game (WoG) installed okay(ish)... without that, you would surely have much bigger problems which wouldn't be detected as easily...

my suggestion -- just keep trying.... Delete all HOMM data you have (registry), you can backup your saves if you want (Altho they're useless)
download the allinone.zip file (or .rar, doesn't matter). Extract it to.... lets say C:\WoGtemp, install RoE, run the game, install AB, run the game, install SoD, run the game, install WoG (do NOT apply nocd cracks or any patches if you can't run the game, WoG will do all that for you) try to run the game, download additional WoG stuff, put in the updates folder and you're done...

and if it still doesn't work -- well i don't know... i know my HOMM game wouldn't run because the setup check failed me at RAM and CPU tests, but WoG doesn't care for any of those checks (same goes for CD checks) so you're fine from that point....
Good instructions! But...it's not really necessary to install RoE. Just SoD plus AB should work fine (that's what I use). Or H3 Complete if you have that.
- Fnord

Return to “Wake of Gods”