WoG chinese-style editor patch

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
Salamandre
Genie
Genie

WoG chinese-style editor patch

Unread postby Salamandre » 01 Sep 2009, 22:53

Contains:

Phantom patch
Fcst1 additions
My roman-style patch
My chinese-style patch
Current objects: 2117

Preview of a few animated objects (there are 20)
ImageImageImage

http://rapidshare.com/files/274459328/WOG_Patch.rar
Instructions inside.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 02 Sep 2009, 06:32

Wickeeeed! Emperor RotM objects! :tsup:
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 04 Sep 2009, 04:07

The chinese SongFX started a map with this patch. The layout is more precise here.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 09 Sep 2009, 09:30

I downloaded the patch and here are my conclusions:

I liked what I saw in the pics from this thread. It really sparked my interest highly. I was psyched to say the least.

I followed the instructions included with the download. I could'nt wait to open the WoG Map Editor. I was like a kid at christmas. When I opened it, it was everything I hoped for......BUT.....

I started to paint things on the terrain to see what everything looked like. I was pretending to make a map. As I progressed, my computer crashed all the way to where I simply had to turn on my computer. I thought that maybe we had a power outage or something and did'nt think anything of it.
After I restarted my computer, I went back to the WoG Map editor and started to repaint a map all over again. And you know what? It did it again!

Well, I thought okay. It is very buggy. So, I tried making a Random map with the WoG Map editor, which works fine for me. Using this patch, I got access violations up the Ying Yang. And...you guessed it, another blackout crash.

I'm glad I made a back up CD of my HoMM3/WoG folder before I installed this patch. That was close.

The bottom line, for me, I like the looks of the patch. I like the variety of objects offered. But either I did something very wrong, or the patch is extremely buggy to use. Here's what I did:

1. I put the WoG Objects patch in the WoG Update folder. Ran it.
2. I replaced all the files from the WoG Map Editor Patch in the RaR you offered included with the patch.

Did I do something wrong?

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 09 Sep 2009, 10:26

"Did I do something wrong?"

Yep. You had too great trust in the stuff, and suffered the beating of a lifetime by the Gods in the Wake of a new patch! :D

Yurian the SoD fan
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 09 Sep 2009, 18:19

Ahh. I see. It must be along the lines of an April Fools joke kind of thing then. Someone said Grayface's patch 3.3 fixes the problem but I need confirmation on that before I do something like that again. Thanks Yurian. :D

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 09 Sep 2009, 19:56

There is nothing wrong with the patch, and the chinese WoG players already finished several maps with it. Available at http://bbs.wakeofgods.com/index.php. So if they can there is no reason it crashes on your editor, unless you did something wrong. It would help if you post what error message you got, so I can figure what is wrong.

1) Install WoG (delete previous)
2) Run the patch from update
3) Optional, run Grayface patch FROM this rar, not the original one. I modified it to accept those objects. Unrar it in Heroes folder then click on H3WMapEdPatch.exe and tell it the path to the wog editor.

Nothing else.

You can't create a random map from the editor, but in game you can. I guess Grayface has to fix again his patch to allows the editor working. (Initially WoG editor could not craate random maps, GF fixed this in his 2.1 patch, but when we add new objects he has to follow.)

I think you wrong installed Grayface v3.3. You said you replaced the files, while you was supposed to unrar it in Heroes folder. Do you have a working version of your new map before it crashed? There is a common mistake players do when keeping several WoG folders, is that they forget to reset which one of the editors should open WoG maps. So you maybe started the map, then saved and reopened it with an editor from other folder, which will crash because of missing defs.

The other reason for crashing is using advanced properties from Grayface patch, which is far from working. So if you change properties of the objects using space bar, expect a system failure sooner or later. Use Zx Object Editor ver 1.1.2 for that (Grayface first tool for editing objects). This issue was already discussed in HC forums and everyone reported crashes using GF patch new features (http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=29026). Never happened with Zx Object Editor ver 1.1.2.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 09 Sep 2009, 20:43

With the 3.3 you included with the patch, I directed everything to the H3 folder where everything went where it was supposed to go accordingly. I know, because I checked all the folders after installation. The 3.3 works perfectly. Even the RMG in the map editor.
I think a lot of the problem with this patch is that it is so large and the lod file doesn't support the amount of def files given in the patch, which would explain why it crashes after 15 or 20 minutes of use.
I suppos to use this patch you could work on a map for about 10 minutes, save the map, close the map editor, reopen the map and continue where you left off. But once I open the WoG map editor and start making a map, I'm really into it and don't want to go through all those steps. There are times when i work hours at a time on just a specific area alone. Maybe it's just me or my computer or both why it isn't working for me like you alledge it does for you. I'm a simple man and when I get something for a game, it has to be easy to install and use without problems. But after 3 different attempts and the same results...I'm glad it works for you.
Perhaps one of these new WoG improvement groups will create a lod file that will handle mass amounts of def files, then this patch would be a good addition. But until that happens, I'll wait a later date to use this patch.

And this isn't a flame or a hatred thing or anything construed as negative towards you or the patch, Salamandre. The patch didn't do what I hoped it would do for me is all. I hope it becomes successful, because it has a lot of promise. :D

The advanced properties on the WoG map editor works fine for me. Proof is in the Sandro campaign. I used it heavily there. And I couldn't open a map I was working on with your patch because once my computer crashed and I restarted my computer, the map was gone. Sorry. :(

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 09 Sep 2009, 20:57

Why direct manually the V3.3 when it asks you to decompress it in Heroes folder? A single small file placed wrong and it screws everything, as WoG is very sensitive about defs.

Still would be helpful to have an error message when it crashed, it always points out what the missing file is (or other reasons). When I tested the patch, I placed 1500 objects on the map and the editor handles it perfectly.
ByteBandit wrote: The advanced properties on the WoG map editor works fine for me. Proof is in the Sandro campaign. I used it heavily there. And I couldn't open a map I was working on with your patch because once my computer crashed and I restarted my computer, the map was gone. Sorry. :(
And I have endless reports about lethal crashing maps, so you was just lucky. My map 300 was several times gone when I used his advanced properties and it drive me mad. Use it at your own risk, but believe me: it kills a map sooner or later. His first tool is 100% bug free.

The advanced properties allows doing illegal operations, thus crashing later. There are rules about changing a passability while the object is still in the map, you can't do all you want. But the 3.3 allows that, without worrying what the editor will think when you save/reload. Thus the crash.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 09 Sep 2009, 21:42

Well, for the Sandro thing I used WoG Map Editor 3.1 If you say it, the map, crashes with the 3.3 Advanced Properties option, then I will avoid that update as well, until it is fixed. I have been real pleased with 3.1 as it is. I have had absolutely no problems with that editor.

Oh. I extracted the 3.3 Map Editor Patch rar into the Heroes 3 folder, and all the files within that rar went where they were supposed to go. The 3.3 worked okay without bugs. (Never tried the Advanced Properties option as I never got that far with the patch you included.)
Last edited by ByteBandit on 09 Sep 2009, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 09 Sep 2009, 21:52

I am sorry if it does not work for you.

As I said only specifically actions make the editor crash. When we are aware of them, there is no problem. If any of us fears when a crash occurs and remove the tool, then we will never experience new graphics, mechanics or simply creatures. But there is only one way to improve a tool, it is to analyze the errors occurred. I can understand your frustration when crashing, but it does not help me at all if I don't have more details.

About the overload of the editor, I believe there are no limits. 300 map was done with the previous russian patch, which installs 450 new objects. My latests patch add a pitiful 112 objects. It would be really bad luck if it is my patch who broke the limit, after the huge database the previous installed.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 09 Sep 2009, 21:55

Hmmmm......Russian patch you say?

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 09 Sep 2009, 21:58

Yes, Phantom patch, which compiles objects created by Diocent Picolan, Phantom, Darkloke, Hyppocamus and a few others.

it adds 450 objects. I compiled all my objects inside it so you have all the additions. I worked with it for an year without the smallest problem.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 09 Sep 2009, 22:09

Well, I hate to do it, but I will start from ground zero. A new H3 Complete, a new WoG, then you chinese roman patch. And that should do the trick?

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 09 Sep 2009, 22:18

I always use a specific folder where I keep a clean wog. Means HoMM+wog and without any patch, GF or others. Everytime I screw in my abracadabras I just paste the folder again and start from it. (20 sec process, you may want to keep maps folder)

I noticed that pasting a clean WoG on a not clean one still keeps the previous errors. So I just delete the whole folder subdirectories and paste the clean ones. After that I install the patch and run GF v3.3 (mainly for fixing the names of the creatures). Optionally I install after that ERM tools.

About the errors, you see in previous post that SonGFX already finished a map using the patch. I guess he did not do it by drawing 10 min then closing, and starting again. He posted his map in chinese forums and did not report any crash or error. So I could not guess someone will have problems with it. But further testing is welcome, on different versions.

Right now I am working on 40+ animations frames on objects. They can be installed and played with, without any problem. But what happens if we add 1000 of them at the same time, I don't know. Thats what testing is for.

(the gif is showing only half of frames)

Some new additions for the ones wishing a new car (well...only in game atm)

My huge work on those additions is purely for personal purposes. I like historical scenarios and I lack objects for. I dream about making a scenario on Romance of the Three Kingdoms ( a famous KOEI game) as well as on Roman Empire history. Previous editor was quite empty for specific themas maps and half of the russian patch 450 objects are crap. And I am not a huge fan of the "prince rescue the pretty princess" or "dark evil forces will prevail on good ones" stories.

@yurian: your irony is not digested. While I appreciate that you are working on SoD campaign I am not coming in your thread to mock on your lack of customization or graphics or unrealistic story written by "uber" happy teenager. I respect your choice and I shut up in my corner and do my business. I will certainly play it and enjoy it when it is out and I will keep myself out from criticizing it if I don't like something because I know how much work it asked and I KNOW that projects have to be supported and not criticized to be able to stimulate further creativity and motivation.

WoG is about searching, experiencing, testing, improvising and creating new mechanics. Even today, most 3.58 scripts crash a random map when playing and the errors are popping out now and then. That's why I was at least surprised to see ByteBandit, WoG team former, is giving up without searching deeper. You like it, fine, you dislike it, thats also fine by me. But one thing is for sure: for the time and energy needed for creating a single WoG map, 15 SoD campaigns could be done. And this statement is coming from a mapmaker who actually worked on both versions.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 10 Sep 2009, 00:48

Oh, I''m not giving up. I just want simplicity and compatability. Not asking for too much am I? ;)

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 10 Sep 2009, 00:55

Then please try to quick grab a screenshot of the error before blowing your house because of my pagodas. While you are the only one to get those errors, it will still help to see whats wrong.

May I suggest no use of the advanced properties for testing? (if you dare again to test this)

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 10 Sep 2009, 02:32

Relax Salamandre. Hes a known mapmaker and such, he will know what is wrong. Keep it easy in here, we don't want a mod to close things down because of a cat fight ;)!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 10 Sep 2009, 03:10

Hey Darkness. It's all good. I would never shut down anything related to Heroes. And I would be against any Mod who would want to shut this thread down. In fact I have never shut down a thread at all. My title says Moderater, but I never use it as a Mod should. I'm a man first, a Heroes Fan second, and Moderater 99th....(Current limit on the meter only goes to 99......100 is not allowed) :D
Thanks for the Mapmaker thing too. I like that better than ByteBandit the Mod.
I guess people think of Mods as Police. I ain't no police. Mapmaker will do just fine.
Sal is just sticking to his guns and I'm sticking to mine, but it's the general public that will have to make their own decision about this patch.
I WANT to give it a :tsup: but I wish I could just run it with what I have for WoG already rather than redo everything.
I still have a lot of WoG team stuff, like scripts and recolored creatures and other things thst I'm not willing to part with. As I know for certain they installed easily and are all compatible with each other.
I am not upset with good criticism as Fnord and I in the past had many issues. But we remained friends through it all.
And with regards to the patch, There are members on the Archives that are not real tech savvy. Some are very young, some very old. And they would love a patch like this. And I sort of represent them. In other words, the easier to use, the better. You should be able to install it over everything you already have. Do that, and I'll bang loud drums all over the world for this patch and elevate Salamandre into a WoG God!

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 10 Sep 2009, 06:51

Now I can give up.

Brand New H3 Complete install.
New WoG 3.58f install. (Clean)
Put your patch in the WoG Update folder and nothing else.
Ran the update in English.
Extracted GF's Map Editor from the RaR.
Started it.
Opened the WoG Map Editor.
Started Painting. Was about 14 minutes into drawing a map and to send you some doc when my computer got yet another blackout crash preventing me from doing anything further except start my computer up again as has been usual with this patch.
I won't do anymore with it. No stability with it whatsoever.
GF's 3.3 Editor has no stability issues on it's own. I used it for hours. The issue starts when I use your patch.

I am convinced beyond doubt that the lod fil cannot stabily support that many def files. That is my conclusion on this issue. Good luck with it.

Return to “Wake of Gods”