Might & Magic: Era of Chaos

Rise to the challenge, forge your legacy! And live in the shadows of Heroes III. familiar names but not gameplay. Not recommended for poets, conservatives, perfectionists and people not having passion and daily time to waste.
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Might & Magic: Era of Chaos

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Dec 2019, 15:01

I have just installed this game to see how it goes around. The demo sort of grasped my attention, specially the battle system, which seems active, frenetic. Somehow, it reminded me of some sort of battles which happened in a game called Romancing Saga 3, when you had some kingdom battles (not the actual team battles).

So, anyone else is trying the game? Impressions?

P.S.: Pol, not sure if a thread like this should go to any M&M subforum, considering this one is another M&M game anyway.

P.S.2: Speaking of Romancing Saga 3, they launched it on November 11th on Steam, first time for West Public. I remember playing it on Emulator in Japanese and enjoyed it a lot; the skill system, battles, everything was pretty much so cool. I just didn't know what I was doing and playing for, hohoho. Still. The price is a bit sour atm, though. Might want to wait for a sale offer.

Update: This is the World Map.

Last edited by Panda Tar on 25 Dec 2019, 17:20, edited 4 times in total.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Re: Might & Magic: Era of Chaos

Unread postby Angelspit » 13 Dec 2019, 21:36

I played for a few minutes only, just to have a quick look. I didn't find the gameplay appealing, as I was naturally expecting something turn-based at least. Maybe I would get used to it after some time.

However, the music certainly caught my attention. It was heart-warming to listen to the old classics again. It made me nostalgic for sure.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Dec 2019, 23:18

I am kinda hooked at the moment. Energy is taking a while to spend, so I am taking a stroll around.

Battle is based mainly on the first formation, and then you exploit what they can do based on what you think will happen during the battle, when it comes to positioning. Given you cannot position troops during battle, you must be aware of that. For example, I have a Phoenix. Phoenixes cast a fire beam across the battlefield that will damage all foes in line. It might happen that you kill everyone in phoenix's path, and then the troops move to another target outside phoenix line. Still, if phoenix won't move away from its current position, it will always cast her Ultimate on nobody. However, it still has its ranged attack.

You can see the enemy team composition on the other side (it looks like they mispelled it). Look below:

These icons on the left shows the kind of troops I have. 2 purple spell casters, 1 yellow defender, 1 green ranged and 1 blue cavalry. There's the red attacker as well. Cavalry units can flank. If they are not engaged in their own charge, they will bypass other engagements and get to the back lines. They will engage any free front row troops, if no other allied troop is in the way to engage them. They are also faster, so if they get ahead of the other allied troops, they may shift from their path to attack the vanguard.

You'll notice that I want my blue cavalry to bypass the yellow defenders to get their purple spellcasters, because there is a yellow defender of mine to hold their aggro. Even if 3 yellow troops gather against 1 of mine, destroying those spell casters is essential to finish the battle faster and easier.

And that's what happens, my cavalry got their wights, whilst my swordsmen (upgraded by Catherine) held 3 of the enemy troops on their own, with monks, marskmen and phoenix blasting them.

You upgrade your troops' equipment (4 pieces each), then they will upgrade as a tier (improve skills and attribute jump), as these troops gain levels (attributes mainly). Your troops are defeated in battle, but they don't die. So you don't have to keep hiring them.

There are some numbering of them on a single hex, sometimes 9, sometimes 4, sometimes 1. These numbers seem not to be definitive, being affected by some skills or so.

There are Stars which ranks your unit as well, similar to CQ. That's what it's called Rank. Whenever you find pieces of a unit (a unit you already have, for example, you can gather these puzzle pieces of it), you can use to fill a Rank Up board, with some cells to be activated. Once the board is complete, you will be able to Rank Up the unit from the next star.

Given the battle runs actively, not in turns, you can use good timed spells to get enemies on the move, if that happens. Only another tool in a fight.

That's Catherine casting Blizzard, her ultimate spell. ;)

There are a lot of other heroes, of course, each one with their unique spells and innate abilities. Catherine innate abilities are related to Swordsmen. They get upgraded when they are in battle, and some other benefits as both of them evolve.

And yes, the songs are great! :D

I created a guild there called MM Celestial. If anyone here happens to play the game afterwards, it will be there already. :-D
Last edited by Panda Tar on 14 Dec 2019, 00:47, edited 8 times in total.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 15 Dec 2019, 14:04

And how many units do you have Panda?

So how that works?
* simple in 2D
* with linear storyline (at least in the start), it reminds King's Bounty
* you are supposed to give attention to red bullets, showing you what you should do and also to jumping objects in game progress - to get rewards
* In chapters you have Scout Log - preventing you to overlook what you seen and shouldn't omit and also reminding you about mini-quests which you heard of but you cannot track them right now
* (mobile enticement) daily bonuses
* campaigns bonuses
* guild bonuses
* summoning
* like Heroes III. storyline
* VIPness (Let say a skill for impatient to buy themselves a time)

Each unit is represented by full portrait and in-game figure(s). There's a lot of female units and links to evolution to these units from H3/2 to this time. Whereas I see it very positively for Inferno, I'm a bit sceptical for AvLee archers. Having bows their proportions are a little off.

Levelling, formations and summoning are probably the key here.

With advancing your level, you are getting more slots, with summoning and battles you are getting more units and go on. Formations are pretty important here.

There are some illogical things too, dialogs are pretty basic.
* like Catherine casting Blizzard
* fighting for Eofol Rashka with Castle units after you defeated his superior, still with Catherine (you swapped sides but you castle, heroes and rooster stay the same.. )
* even if everything seems to be forced pretty linear, you can forget to talk to some monster and side-quest is lost..

The game is server based. I'm at EU-16. You can re-log on other server, if it's free but you need to start here again. There's Discord at your disposal too and FB.

The game is taking 1.71GB, occasionally updating, as you are progressing.

PS Guilds list is loading sooo long, even if I search I cannot see MM Celeastia. If they are server based too, then good luck, we may never met.
Last edited by Pol on 15 Dec 2019, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 16 Dec 2019, 13:55

Units, I don't remember. Might have something around 15 or so.

Oh, I was a bit away this weekend. Didn't log in in CQ also.

Yeah, Server based, I forgot about that. :(

Formations are basically almost everything. If you forget an enemy Charging unit somewhere, it will get eventually on your back lines. There are combo units which work much better when tagged along, such a Centaur that might slow enemies, triggering a Marksman ability that can strike twice slowed foes, for example.

Battles last up to 3 minutes. Beat enemies under 1 minute to get a rating of 3 stars.

8 slots might be the most you can have on a battle. There are a lot of daily bonuses. You spend a good time dealing with those before moving elsewhere.

Story chapters go fairly ok for a while. Then they have a rather fierce bump on difficulty. I have noticed that when playing chapter 6, around the end of it.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 Dec 2019, 15:54

There's strong underground, where paths are short and battles take twice much time. Rewards are very nice. No story.

There are campaigns on the surface, however playing for Raskha with Heaven army is a bit out. The battles are gradually harder and then, there's rapid jump with difficutly - trying to get Zydar down = problem. (L28+ but at the same moment many possibilities open for you too, so you have also jump ahead)

As for benefits. There's Astrologer, Arena (under Colossus), Training Grounds, Treasuries to sack (behind the Gate). Altairs for Silver and Gold Keys (..where I finally got that damnend Rock, as I faled to collect his essence in the Arena).

Just a moment ago I activated "Elixir of Life" from the same components like in H3. Got them in Astrologer and Marketplace.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 16 Dec 2019, 16:23

Yes. There are a lot of conceipts I like. The fact that we have a big story-line map, although basically consisting on battles, makes me enjoy it. All in all, it will be a CQ game, because the flair of having all units under control is there. :D

My overall power now is around 92K, level 33 or 34, I think. Kinda lonely in that guild, so some features cannot be used at most, but some stuff in there could have ways in CQ. You can send messages in mail to all members, you can send rewards to them, if you want. There's a map to explore where all members can go around. There are rifts to beat phantoms.

The thing of this game is that it revolves a LOT around rewards. Which is something I prefer over CQ, which you have not so compelling rewards, considering there's not much else to do in the game.

Ah, Pol, did you got all Training missions done? I got stuck in that Timing spell one, which you have dwarfs and elven archers against a phoenix and you must use your spell at the exact moment for the burst damage be able to kill. I get like 1-hit to kill that phoenix all the time. Now 2 more group of missions are available, though.

Arena is the same as CQ Dungeons, where you fight other players (you set your defenses and the enemy can only see which kind of units they are (charge, ranged, spell casters, etc), not what they are (the exact unit)) for rank and you get diamonds as rewards as you climb up.

In 1 week of game, you will have 3 heroes only by logging in, Rylon on day 2, Gelu on day 7. Gelu upgrades automatically any marskmen and archers to sharpshooters WHEN he is the leading hero. Upgrades in this game, it seems, are tied to heroes and are available only when they are on battlefield. Their specialty often relies on a certain unit, as their global skill.

I got some artifacts unlocked. I have that Armor of the Damned one, so it has a debuff on enemies when battle commences.

Week bonuses are also present. We entered Week of Inferno, with bonuses related to that Alignment.

New update coming tomorrow
  • New faction added "Conflux": added 6 new units, sprite + all those elementals we know
  • New Guild adventure mode regarding elementals
  • Other optimization and bug fixes
Last edited by Panda Tar on 16 Dec 2019, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 Dec 2019, 16:44

Panda Tar wrote:Ah, Pol, did you got all Training missions done? I got stuck in that Timing spell one, which you have dwarfs and elven archers against a phoenix and you must use your spell at the exact moment for the burst damage be able to kill. I get like 1-hit to kill that phoenix all the time. Now 2 more group of missions are available, though.
I'm in the same boat like you. Got a nice screen with Phoenix almost dead but me completely dead. That was about three arrows or so..

Most of my strategy is where to put Cavalery.

There's a lot of rewards but a very long way to go. You are getting units and skills relatively slowly, bit after bit.
"We made it!"

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 16 Dec 2019, 16:55

About to get Ogre and Efreet.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 Dec 2019, 17:38

So far I assembled three artifacts, Elixir of Life, Wizard's Well and Ring of the Mage. Enough for today. Also entered a Guild to explore it here. Game in Game. Not only guilds, also campaign (not the main).
"We made it!"

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 16 Dec 2019, 18:04

Another great difference is that the game has a lot of things to do without the need of Energy.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 Dec 2019, 21:48

I have castle core - Swordsman, Cavalier, Marksman, Monk and Pikeman. In addition I also gained Imps, Centaurs, Wood Elf, Roc, Gog, Wolf Rider and Gremlin. Will try to put their cards here, once I will have more. The art is good.

Rooster is also cool, aka different shrines to support your units. You can group them as well.

Quite often biggest problem for me is to aim spell quickly. As units are moving, and there's slight delay, you hit hardly just empty ground. And Devils teleports, of course.

Guilds have their own territory, with additional everything, including underground with caches. They seems to be supposed to interact with neighbourhood guilds.

I forget, they are also using dummy players for arena, and may be some other parts too. Which leads us to question, if everyone in guild is a human?
Last edited by Pol on 16 Dec 2019, 22:15, edited 2 times in total.
"We made it!"

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 16 Dec 2019, 22:26

Guild Adventure is a small reproduction of H3 system, per se. You can wander around the map, you have a defense army in case another enemy hero appears there, probably through those one-way exit portals. You can send as many members as possible to take down bosses, given their HP does not recover. I don't know if that HP is for the whole week or daily. Some stuff on the map gives daily bonuses, I think for all members, like 50 diamonds, 1 of puzzle piece of a certain unit, etc.

As I am playing on PC, targeting spells are not as difficult. But I think on phone you can use 2 fingers to cast 2 different spells at once? I cannot reproduce that on PC.

My units:
  • Castle: Marksman, Cavalier, Pikeman, Swordsman, Monk
  • Rampart: Wood Elf, Pegasus, Centaur, Dwarf
  • Necropolis: Skeleton, Wight, Bone Dragon (just got it from a golden key :-D )
  • Stronghold: Orc, Wolf Rider, Goblin
  • Inferno: Imp, Gog, Efreeti
  • Tower: Iron Golem
  • ???: Phoenix
The upcoming ones:

The Magic Guild improves spell damage output.

Dragon Utopia presents a different dragon to battle every couple of days. They are tough, even in Easy. Rust Dragon makes everything poisonous. It feels like our troops are so week. Rewards are crystals, which you will use to upgrade your creature's skills from Lv 34 forth.

Marksmen are the first I'm getting purple equipment upgrades. But I need to advance on current storyline to have the missing components.

Uh, an Infamous Guild member asked Friendship with me. ;|
I forget, they are also using dummy players for arena, and may be some other parts too. Which leads us to question, if everyone in guild is a human?
I think guild members are human. You just set dummy defenses. Or they might have automatic response if they are attacked while offline. Arena have dummy on the first item. The second one, you start playing against other players online, then using your current units. Third option too, but the third option you chose a selection host of units and heroes (you don't have to own them) to keep with you for 12 rounds. You also choose a few to ban before battle and you will settle your armies in turns with your opponent.
Last edited by Panda Tar on 16 Dec 2019, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 Dec 2019, 23:31

Okay. Any idea how to get 3520D to get guaranteed Orange Artifact, with additional 300D for summoning SR Units at Altair?

Nah, just joking. It won't be a fun if there would be an easy way ;)
"We made it!"

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Dec 2019, 14:02

I actually got 1 orange there. On first day. I think some starting conditions were met. I got the shield. After this, I think you need to simply try your best to reveal all stuff at the Astrologer daily. Or ... become a flustered VIP. :tongue:

Efreet is a neat spell caster, it seems. I think he can be used as a sacrificial lamb to draw in an enemy charging unit, and guarantee they won't fall fast and lock them there.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Dec 2019, 14:58

So, we are battling with another guild in the underground. They are stronger but not strong enough for taking out Dragon Utopia. Russian. Another neighbourhood guild should be Czech.

Meanwhile I had got Pegasi. And disabled that Avenging Angel. As for last part of "Inferno campaing" the difficutly is again dubbled and I need to reinforce a lot, cannot continue.

Pitty that there's not a real lore.

As for design, it's anime. Pegasi, sigh. Clear anime.

What about Treeant? From tutorial we know that Treeant and Marksmen are best combo. (guaranteed doubled attack vs slowed units )
Last edited by Pol on 17 Dec 2019, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Dec 2019, 15:16

Pegasi is a nice annoying unit. And it causes bleeding too. Centaur also slows. I got one. Elven Archers also have bonuses against slowed units. These three are quite a good combo for a start.

I am alone in the guild yet, hohoho, just wandering around the map. Just activated a gold mine. Which is a relief. 80k gold daily. Gold became an issue now, because so many things depend on it. The Dwarven Treasure gives a nice boost, but ...

Dragon Utopia, just beat the Faerie Dragon! Hoorray! Rust Dragon was infinitely harder! In a way I was not sure he was beatable.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Dec 2019, 16:06

Strange, our guild is full. Probably a luck, we have two VIPsters, one started it and it was full within a day, from moment when I joined, was seventeenth. :D

What I'm missing is a some concept. You have a lot of "mods" and "campaigns". But you lack a good story and twists, which could grant it a soul. If you wish to be lost somewhere, it's a good place. But if you are looking for some mind boggling (or tickling) it's not here.

Many small details are in place, finally Ubisoft come to what they wanted and what is defining their mobile MMH genre, because:
* anime style
* stained glass loading screens
* uncomplicated
* no need to hassle with maps and mapmakers neither modders
* day/night cycle, lots of underground, your own castle
* linear like King's Bounty (but with many side mods/mini games)
* a little bit Warhammer logic of the things, combat
* your own MM Universe (bought)
* a lots of grammar errors and bad words (Because chinese and then translated, at least they removed chinese childish/anime voicing. Developed by Ourpalm and Playcrab)
* game is polished and stable enough, cause of delayed worldwide launch
* self declared HoMM successor (branding yes, ideas not)

So I think that this is the game what they wanted from the beggining, crafted for masses. (Already generated $ 120mil in Q3 2018 ) And what we don't. And stepping on the tinny ice of speculation, probably with bigger budget than H6+7. With Tencent strong push.

Edit1
Some old images, from older thread.
Last edited by Pol on 17 Dec 2019, 16:27, edited 4 times in total.
"We made it!"

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Dec 2019, 18:03

Purple upgrades allow the next unit skill activation. Now phoenix can rebirth, marskmen can trigger a second shot, bone dragons can break defenses.

Got Roc. I got a roll on Arena, those cards, you know? Got some + 3 Rocs cards there. :)
Last edited by Panda Tar on 17 Dec 2019, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 18 Dec 2019, 08:36

In Guild's Land "Smart Monster" means, that it can join. Sometime even for free. Of course you will get just these "soul tokens" instead of Monster.

Sphinx is easy reward!

Got access to Dragon Utopia (in Castle, as there are two) and been beaten. The Dragon don't die but fell asleep or what..., so he awakens in the end once again. :wall:

Have Roc and Phoenix already, working on Wight. Seeing the rewards system, first winners will dominate forever.

Ah, money, I see. Well, have them not in required quantity today, thanks gods to Dwarven Treasury - that's good, but not enough.

Edit1
PS Current Christmas design is cool ;)
PS As any Android game, it's safer, to login/log out each day to get all rewards. Especially speed.

Another pecularity is, when you decide to cast the spell in the same time (and place) like enemy. In that case your click do nothing and you need to wait a bit to cast your spells. As timing is crucial this can change the tide of the battle.

Now for pluses, when you are looking for resources, it's all linked. This is nifty, as there's so high quantity of resources, so is not easy to remember. So at every place you have upgrade requirements, and from here where you can get the resource.

At this moment I'm using 2 cavaleries, the seconds are Wolf Riders, cause "Speed means Stars" and you wanna them! ;)

Edit2
Yeah, I know have already Roc collected.

Have purple Pegasi, tomorrow the rest. Money, money, money..

Edit2
Any idea how works "Hero Mastery"? There's preselected Air, Water, Tactic and Resistance and the only action which I seems to be able is to lock, atm one skill. And re-roll the rest. Hmm, that's all. Cheesy.
Last edited by Pol on 18 Dec 2019, 09:54, edited 7 times in total.
"We made it!"

Return to “Era of Chaos”