Heroes 7 music full soundtrack (link) and commentary

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.
cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Heroes 7 music full soundtrack (link) and commentary

Unread postby cjlee » 03 Jan 2016, 20:12

I just saw this on youtube and listened to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYm8DLjNEEY

Very much agree with Kalah. The music is nice and definitely beautiful, but not all the themes fit.

Hope for Green Falls (Haven theme) is somewhat human sounding. I don't like it, but no complaints.

Mystos Mountains (Necropolis theme) is totally not deathly sounding. Not horror, not funereal, not gloomy. There is no loneliness, sadness, or even marching skeletons in this music. H2's theme remains the best in my mind.

The Wizard's Waltz (Academy theme) is indeed a waltz. But how are Waltzes associated with wizards, academies, nerds, magical themes, the middle east, deserts, carpets and djinn, etc? This piece of music evokes the Austro-Hungarian empire and doomed European nobility on the eve of WW1.

The Journeyman's Encounter (Stronghold theme) has a strong medieval European flavour. But the orcs were Asiatic hordes (with associated music) in H5 and Aztec warriors in H6. Now this H7 theme does not invoke barbarians, warriors, militaries at all. It sounds like English people doing courtly dances.

The Elven Coronation (Sylvan theme) opened sounding very Elven, arboreal, green. Soon it turned new age/ Yanni. And it does not sound like any coronation or grand ceremony.

Blades of Madness (Dungeon theme) indeed sounds darkish, grim fantasy. There is a slightly deranged flavour. I think it is the music that most fits its race/ faction.

The Fortune Keep (Battle theme) started martial, then degenerated, then at the halfway mark started sounding militaristic again, then the last half minute turned into an expressive soprano. This is the least aggressive Heroes battle theme ever. Nothing compared with the various battle themes in H5. Totally loathe it.

Fiery Hearts (Fortress theme) started like a fortress. Military and strong. Then it slowed and lost its way. I would not consider this Fiery, Stirring, or Hearty music.

Infernus Stamatus (Inferno theme) is reminiscent of H5 Inferno music indeed. I can imagine Dante, Inferno, Beatrice.

Requiem for a King (Plains theme) sounds like a requiem. no complaints.

The Realm of the Dead (Wasteland theme) reminds me of Diablo 3 music. Yes, it sounds like a Realm of the Dead, as well as Wasteland. I heartily approve.

Tinkering with the Dwarves (AI turn theme) makes me think of the Beetlejuice music rather than Tolkien's dwarves or any form of tinkering/ gadgets.

Piano Concerto For a Hero No. 1 in Ahab's Minor (Credits theme) - why waste time and resources composing a piano concerto for the credits? Did the people who made this game deserve their own theme?

terrain themes I generally feel are good enough. It is the racial/ faction themes that seem very off. The music plain does not fit the culture, traditions, or fictional history of the factions.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: Heroes 7 music full soundtrack (link) and commentary

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Jan 2016, 20:42

:hail: That voice...! I'm in loove! :applause:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 04 Jan 2016, 01:53

cjlee wrote: Mystos Mountains (Necropolis theme) is totally not deathly sounding. Not horror, not funereal, not gloomy. There is no loneliness, sadness, or even marching skeletons in this music. H2's theme remains the best in my mind.
This is totally wrong. The song is filled with sorrow once the singing begins and is in line with H2 Necro expansion which was super melancholy.
cjlee wrote:
The Wizard's Waltz (Academy theme) is indeed a waltz. But how are Waltzes associated with wizards, academies, nerds, magical themes, the middle east, deserts, carpets and djinn, etc? This piece of music evokes the Austro-Hungarian empire and doomed European nobility on the eve of WW1.
Past town themes of Wizards have included waltz styles and it is interesting that they continued that tradition here. I wonder if they have a vision of wizards that is different than the ones we have gotten with Ubi.
cjlee wrote:Very much agree with Kalah. The music is nice and definitely beautiful, but not all the themes fit.
Quite frankly, I don't really care if the themes fit as long as they are incredible. Necro and Wizard are incredible, a couple others are good, but overall don't measure up to the number of incredible songs on H2&4 osts.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 04 Jan 2016, 07:55

Kalah wrote::hail: That voice...! I'm in loove! :applause:
Look on youtube for Sumi Jo singing Caccini, and perhaps the target of your love will change.

As for Mr.Craghack, I totally did not think that 'lamenting' female voice in the Necropolis theme was exceptionally sorrowful. When you go too much for art, you lose the emotion. That is the problem of all beautiful music. Sometimes in order to make a point, or to convey a sensation, you have to be less arty-farty and more gritty. Or more disciplined in complying with the theme. If Romero composed all these, I think he may be getting old. His music seems more soaked in nuance now, like an elderly person who makes snap decisions less and stereotypes less.

There is simply not enough barbarism, military, and fighting themes and motifs in H7. One of my favorite battle themes I think is called Uriel's theme or something, from H6, which plays when you fight that angel. That really sounded like holy war. H2-5 all had good battle music too.

I consider Beethoven's Ninth Symphony one of the most awesome pieces of music ever. But do you want it as the theme in The Ring or The Exorcist? It's not suited to horror, is it? In contrast Bach had this Toccata and Fugue that is often associated with vampires and horror. That would suck as a Sylvan theme because it doesn't evoke nature, harmony and tree huggers.

As much as I personally like the beautiful H7 Wizard waltz, compare it to the H5 Academy theme, or the H2, H3 Wizard themes, and it is obvious which is more magical and Wizard-like. (H4 Order theme sounded quite harmonious and pastoral; not what I associate with Wizards and magic, but definitely an Orderly, Peaceful theme that fits Emelia and her Great Arcan kingdom.) [H6 didn't even have the Wizard faction, an omission I consider the height of stupidity. What is fantasy gaming without wizards and dragons?]

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 04 Jan 2016, 12:30

I've been praising Starcraft 2 on this website, so here's a link to the recent expansion Legacy of the Void's soundtrack in comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Wq6cWkdHo

I think most listeners would agree with me that the Starcraft soundtracks are nowhere as good as Heroes soundtracks. The same goes for things like artwork, individual unit design, in game menus, etc. At its best, Heroes has a level of creativity, artistry and brilliance that is undeniable.

So the problem is not that any particular aspect of Heroes is poor. It is that the whole thing fails to come together properly because of bugs, system requirements, hero development paths, game mechanics, etc.

When listening to the Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty OSTs, I can visualize a right wing, imperial, militaristic 'USA' in the New Confederacy/ Terran Dominion.

The Heart of the Swarm OSTs sound like sci-fi horror insects, like Sigourney Weaver's Aliens.

The Legacy of the Void OSTs sound like Protoss, a mythical, mystical yet futuristic race in action.

All Starcraft OSTs are consistent with the faction. They fit the environment when gaming. When you take them out and listen when not gaming, they don't sound so brilliant, so interesting, so beautiful, as any comparable Heroes 7 soundtrack.

George Romero has succeeded in creating a soundtrack that we want to listen to when not gaming. Indeed, I could almost certainly pass off his work as being from some modern composer, without admitting that they came from some computer game.

Unfortunately I still don't see how all this genius helps create a more immersive Heroes 7 gaming atmosphere. When I am looking at a lineup of Academy creatures, I can see a Middle Eastern environment. There are jinns and mages on flying carpets and pyramids. And I hear a Viennese waltz? Or here I am, a Might Hero and Barbarian with demonic blood. I'm preparing for a slave raid campaign with my nasty looking orcs. And the music sounds like... a BBC production of Shakespeare.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 04 Jan 2016, 20:04

cjlee wrote:
Kalah wrote::hail: That voice...! I'm in loove! :applause:
I consider Beethoven's Ninth Symphony one of the most awesome pieces of music ever. But do you want it as the theme in The Ring or The Exorcist? It's not suited to horror, is it? In contrast Bach had this Toccata and Fugue that is often associated with vampires and horror. That would suck as a Sylvan theme because it doesn't evoke nature, harmony and tree huggers.
The reason I don't care if the theme fits the game or not is because the game is so bad that I will not play it, therefore, I prefer to just listen to wonderful music and dissociate it from the game (which makes me sad) altogether. ;)
Last edited by mr.hackcrag on 04 Jan 2016, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 04 Jan 2016, 20:55

Hm, I think I'll take some minutes to listen to those a bit.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 06 Jan 2016, 18:46

The music is good but I'm not sure if it's on par with H3 & H4. Cannot judge fitting to theme as non-owner.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Danny
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Danny » 06 Jan 2016, 18:48

cjlee wrote: The Wizard's Waltz (Academy theme) is indeed a waltz. But how are Waltzes associated with wizards, academies, nerds, magical themes, the middle east, deserts, carpets and djinn, etc? This piece of music evokes the Austro-Hungarian empire and doomed European nobility on the eve of WW1.

The Journeyman's Encounter (Stronghold theme) has a strong medieval European flavour. But the orcs were Asiatic hordes (with associated music) in H5 and Aztec warriors in H6. Now this H7 theme does not invoke barbarians, warriors, militaries at all. It sounds like English people doing courtly dances.
Academy theme recalls Heroes VI's Necropolis theme since they are cut from the same cloth, I'm sure it's an intentional decision.

Stronghold theme is a Heroes I homage.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 06 Jan 2016, 19:36

When I first heard those songs months ago looking at those townscreens, I didn't felt like most of them fit for their themes. They surely sound ok, most of the times, but I really prefer H4 ost above all else.

It's hard to tell, but songs like that Wizard Waltz feel like songs to play on games such as Castlevania.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 18 Jan 2016, 14:06

Danny wrote: Academy theme recalls Heroes VI's Necropolis theme since they are cut from the same cloth, I'm sure it's an intentional decision.

Heroes I Barbarian theme, was also not a good fit for the town screen/ racial characteristics. I think the best Barbarian theme was Heroes V. That really sounded barbarous, bloodthirsty, shamanic, wild.

As much as I respect Paul Romero, I have to say that a composer needs to match his music with the reason/ theme he''s composing it.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Jan 2016, 20:55

Yeah, H5 one hit the mark. Although I liked H3 Stronghold one, I never felt it 'Barbaric'. It felt pretty much a 'Freedom' kind - fit somehow, but it was in a peaceful manner. :lol:

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 19 Jan 2016, 02:20

cjlee wrote:
Danny wrote: Academy theme recalls Heroes VI's Necropolis theme since they are cut from the same cloth, I'm sure it's an intentional decision.

Heroes I Barbarian theme, was also not a good fit for the town screen/ racial characteristics. I think the best Barbarian theme was Heroes V. That really sounded barbarous, bloodthirsty, shamanic, wild.

As much as I respect Paul Romero, I have to say that a composer needs to match his music with the reason/ theme he''s composing it.
Hey man, these are adventurous, hearty Barbarians now - get with the times! :)

I don't understand why they never brought back the male vocals. That guy had skills. Personally, I liked the singing style in the H2/H4 era more than the current era. I think she sounded better in her young days than she does now. 8|
Panda Tar wrote:Yeah, H5 one hit the mark. Although I liked H3 Stronghold one, I never felt it 'Barbaric'. It felt pretty much a 'Freedom' kind - fit somehow, but it was in a peaceful manner. :lol:
Best barb music was H2 expansion and H2 regular. :proud:

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 20 Jan 2016, 06:35

MrHackcrag, I agree with your description of H3 stronghold theme. It is reminiscent of great plains, soaring cliffs, blue skies. It was neither barbaric nor 'strong' but still something I could associate with barbarians.

H4 barbarians' Might Town had too much stringed instruments and not enough banging, slamming, marching. It was not Mighty.

I really wish Romero would reprise his H5 theme for barbarians. H6 too, it had the sense of War or Encampment to it.

H7's barbarian theme is way, way off. Even in Shakespeare's time I don't think the Globe theatre would have played the Journeyman's Encounter when depicting barbarians in action.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 20 Jan 2016, 06:49

btw how come no one has commented on Heroes 7 music being the shortest since H2? H5 music was over 3x as long. As though Ubisoft wasn't too willing to pay Paul Romero for work.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Jan 2016, 09:59

Jumping to conclusions as always, I see? :tongue:
As far as I know, R&P were given free reins, but there would of course be a budget. What that was, I can't tell, but there must of course be a limit to how much you can spend on one particular part of the game.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 20 Jan 2016, 12:15

Music for H5 was 2h 40 mins.
For H6 was 1h 58 mins.
For H7 was 46 mins.
Yup, I can clearly see a limit on how much they wanted to pay Paul R.

I am also wondering if anyone told him there would be a Barbarian faction. That Journeyman theme for barbarians sounded too much like a theme I was expecting to hear in Lord Morglin Ironfist's court.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Jan 2016, 14:22

Maybe, but I see it also as a kind of light-hearted campfire atmosphere, so it isn't completely misplaced.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 20 Jan 2016, 16:33

Although I like some of those songs, I can barely see them fitting where they are set to fit. They never feel completely set, they always remind something very far, far away, that we must bend the laws of physics to fit them. :lol: It's not like you'll listen to one song of these, without ever playing the game - but knowing it, and then say: "Hey, that MUST be the barbarian sound theme!"

Danny
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Danny » 20 Jan 2016, 19:39

cjlee wrote:I am also wondering if anyone told him there would be a Barbarian faction. That Journeyman theme for barbarians sounded too much like a theme I was expecting to hear in Lord Morglin Ironfist's court.
Once again, it's a reference/homage to these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u9zVWnfOPo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqZP-WlysZM

It's not like they sound "barbarian" or "warlock-y", do they?

Return to “Heroes VII”